Picked up the 8 GB Wii U on the fly. Should I get the 32 GB?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
We are big Nintendo fans here so I just happen to luck out and come across the 8 GB Wii U. It seems the only down side to this system is 8 GB rather than 32 GB.

Should I try to score a 32 GB system? My kids still play Wii. Big fans of everything Mario. Or it's not really a big deal.

Thanx guys.

The deluxe version comes with Nintendoland and a charging station, which if you were going to purchase both of those, would make the basic set more expensive than the deluxe set.

As far as space goes, you'll most likely be adding an external hard drive in the future anyway. Neither 8 nor 32 GB is much space to begin with.

idk i only got the deluxe cause its black. i dont ever use the cradle.

I heard the black version is a magnet for fingerprints, hair, etc.

How's the white version hold up? Is it still looking pretty decent?

Hmm, if you don't care about Nintendo Land and want white, then you can just buy the stands and extra storage separate without going much over than the deluxe. The cradle is nice to charge the gamepad by docking, which sounds like there will be a lot of. Or put the 50 extra to larger external storage, as others point out, the 32gig won't last long anyway.

What's the function of the 8/32 GB storage? Is it all for game play or other stuff as well like the PS3?

What's the function of the 8/32 GB storage? Is it all for game play or other stuff as well like the PS3?

It's mainly for storage of media files you download and game saves, just like the PS3 is.

Nintendo was smart enough to allow external hard drive storage up to, I believe, 2TB max over its USB 2.0 port.

The SDHC (SD High Capacity) card slot expansion should allow up to 32GB of external storage.

So, all in all, it doesn't matter whether you get the 8GB or 32GB Deluxe version, they're the same systems just one has more internal flash memory. It's just a matter of preference whether you want white or black, and if anything like the PS3 fat console and Xbox 360 Slim, would be prone to fingerprints. That's a difference of $249.99 versus $349.99 console.

I guess if people don't want to bother with expanding storage beyond 32GB and are fine with 32GB, will settle with the Deluxe version. In all honesty, I'd just get the 8GB version and use SDHC cards and/or external hard drives. It'd save me $100. :p

i really thing the deluxe version is just better overall. The fact that if you plan on buying digitially you get $5 credit for every 59.99 spent (i think thats right not 100% sure tho) and nintendoland is pretty fun and shows you what can be done with the console.

If there's ever a non-brainer, it's getting the deluxe (black) over the plain (white). The white ONLY exists so that Nintendo can quote that price level. It's inferior in every way.

Handy if your transferring the crap from your Wii (wouldn't have bought the Wii U if it wasn't for the CD drive being knackered), to the Wii U, I think it just uses the storage for game updates, and save files.

Assassin's Creed III looks good on there, been playing that for a few hours.

Best Buy in Sunnyvale, CA has an entire shelf of deluxe models, stocking up for Christmas rush I guess (stock shortage my arse).

Rob, if u get rid of the 8GB model, lemme know !:)

Don't really notice smudges on my deluxe gamepad.
I say get the deluxe. This way you can upgrade later (with a HD or whatever), if you use up the 32GB. I don't plan on buying retail titles on the eshop, only exclusive titles. Retail, I get at retail. So it's definitely going to last longer than the 8GB for me. So, if you do that, the deluxe is a little more attractive.

Returning the Wii U to Target. The kids have no interest. Fine with me. I'll take back my $325.

Honestly, the 8GB version is fine. Nintendoland is okay, but nothing amazing, and since game downloads are so massive, it's not like that extra storage will last all that long anyway.
The black system looks more stylish, but otherwise isn't really all that "deluxe."
I got one and after seeing a launch game take up more than half the HD I saw the writing on the wall.

Honestly, the 8GB version is fine. Nintendoland is okay, but nothing amazing, and since game downloads are so massive, it's not like that extra storage will last all that long anyway.
The black system looks more stylish, but otherwise isn't really all that "deluxe."
I got one and after seeing a launch game take up more than half the HD I saw the writing on the wall.

$20 more, you get a game worth $50, a charging dock worth $20, 24GB extra, and you can buy an external storage to get around the digital download issue(although most people still buy console titles from the brick and mortar store), how does that not make sense to buy the deluxe?

Last edited:
Back