picked up my A+ this morning, network+ is next

Lifelong students, by definition, aren't pursuing completion of a degree program, therefore it isn't really relevant to anybody whether or not lifelong students can meet acceptance criteria for masters programs.

Well, this would depend on your definition of lifelong student. In the scenario I was referring to, this would be someone who went from High School, then a 4 year college, and finally into a masters program. They have only ever been a student.

The point I'm trying to make is in response to your comment about whether good schools (not vocational) will accept work experience and/or certifications for credits earned. The SANS Masters program is one such program. It's superior to whats typically available at most universities today and it's current. Most students that have only ever gone to school wouldn't qualify for it either, meaning you need real world experience and a current job in the field to even meet acceptance.

I apologize for not making this clearer.
Sure...schools offering AAS degrees in IT do this. But this has little relevance in a 4-year program, since good 4-year programs generally aren't vocational.

Last edited:
Well, this would depend on your definition of lifelong student. In the scenario I was referring to, this would be someone who went from High School, then a 4 year college, and finally into a masters program. They have only ever been a student.

....In that case, lifelong student is the wrong way to describe that.

The point I'm trying to make is in response to your comment about whether good schools (not vocational) will accept work experience and/or certifications for credits earned.

...Which again, nobody was talking about. We were talking about schools which require IT certifications prior to acceptance into the Bachelor's program.

.Which again, nobody was talking about. We were talking about schools which require IT certifications prior to acceptance into the Bachelor's program.

Ugh I already clarified myself here on the previous page.

I wouldn't say they require you have military experience as a prerequisite. Just that they accept it towards their current programs..

Ugh I already clarified myself here on the previous page.

You clarified yourself, yes, but that has nothing to do with anything mkrohn and I were discussing at any point in time. You're the only person here trying to talk about that. If you read the conversation at all, you should be aware that we were discussing schools which explicitly require certifications.

It doesn't sound like a real Bachelor's degree to me, then. I've never heard of such a thing. My degrees certainly didn't require any certifications, and mine are ABET accredited.

I agree. Any college that requires certs for a degree has got to be some sort of degree mill. Phoenix U perhaps?

oh, as for this ABET. Well, perhaps 1 in a million know what that is. CUNY City Tech has ABET degrees. Ifcourse Polytech across the street could care less about it.

Well, perhaps 1 in a million know what that is.

Most people who hold actual technical degrees in North America know what ABET accreditation is, since it's necessary that your technical degree be ABET accredited if you wish to pursue professional licensure or graduate studies.

I don't repeat myself for the people too lazy to read a thread they're being a know it all in.

I agree. This is something you already mentioned in the thread a couple times. People who aren't capable of reading a thread should not be in here trash talking anybody else's education.

I agree. This is something you already mentioned in the thread a couple times. People who aren't capable of reading a thread should not be in here trash talking anybody else's education.

Some people just like to trash discussion threads. Arguing about the validity of one degree over another is stupid. I chose the path I'm taking because I will get a bachelors degree while skipping quite a bit of the absolute BS courses. If a "real school" doesn't want to do this for a 30 y/o guy that has done a very wide range of things in life already then that "real school" is the actual crappy place to go.

Whether you want to argue about it or not, I have found that I NEED a piece of paper or I need to have an "in" or else I wont be getting a job at the level I desire. I'm not talking entry level IT BTW.

it's necessary that your technical degree be ABET accredited if you wish to pursue professional licensure or graduate studies.

ok, like I said, it's for 1 in a million. 90% of employers I apply with dont even know what A+ or Network+ or MCSE is so I dont mention it as no one asks for it.

How can anyone get a grad degree(Masters or PhD) with a technical degree? You need a BS/BA degree with 120+ credits, not an AOS, AAS or 6months courses.

ok, like I said, it's for 1 in a million. 90% of employers I apply with dont even know what A+ or Network+ or MCSE is so I dont mention it as no one asks for it.

How can anyone get a grad degree(Masters or PhD) with a technical degree? You need a BS/BA degree with 120+ credits, not an AOS, AAS or 6months courses.

Clearly you either do not understand post secondary education or you do not understand how to read. The degrees we have been talking about throughout this thread have been Bachelor degrees. Additionally, ABET doesn't accredit degrees unless they are Bachelor degrees which require at least 128 credits. You can get technical degrees that aren't associate degrees, such as, for instance, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, just to pick one as an example. Finally, I was not referring to A+ or Network+ or MCSE. Those are not licenses. They're merely certifications. Licensure is a far more real and meaningful thing.

If you really think ABET accreditation is a 1 in a million thing, you clearly have no grasp on education in north America whatsoever. Since the thread starter clearly stated he wishes to attend Ferris State University (which is in the US), the scope of his inquiry is clearly limited to things relevant to US education. And since you clearly do not understand US education at all, I beg the question: What value do you possibly believe anything you've said in this thread has?

Last edited:
ABET is clearly useless as only 2 CUNY colleges have it: City College, College of Staten Island.

Nope. Allow me to reiterate. If you aren't familiar with ABET, them you clearly aren't familiar with US post secondary schools, or US engineering.

Nope. Allow me to reiterate. If you aren't familiar with ABET, them you clearly aren't familiar with US post secondary schools, or US engineering.

I gave up trying to explain to Gomar because he's just having a conversation with himself since he's clearly not having a discussion with us since he has contributed nothing. Something interesting we did learn however is he has a fancy degree but gave up on things like the network+ because it was too hard. AFTER he spent quite a bit of money on it. If its too hard for him he is just further trying to give valid reasons as to why it is worthless and stupid.

My certifications and tests I've passed have been a MAXIMUM of pay for a single book, half assed read it then go pass. I'm freshening up on linux a bit right now because I love linux but haven't really done anything with it in a while because my servers have been working so nicely for so long that I haven't had to touch them.

Anybody know anything about GIS? My new instructor has a hard on for arcgis and has adapted the SQL class towards that

Current certifications I'm considering:
several MTA's (free)
Linux+ (expensive or else I'd already have it)
security+
MCSD (deciding on track but I have trouble taking ASP seriously)
ESRI (GIS)

Have to fit in before Xmas:
CLEP accounting

Right now my C instructor is setting it up so I can get the credits for both semesters of C programming by time this semester is over by turning in a bunch of labs and a project.

Sounds like you just suck as a computer tech. Those overseas people are only taking LOW END jobs. I have lived and breathed tech basically 24/7 since about the K6-2 days. I designed a GFD for the old athlon. I'm not just a 9-5 computer guy. I was ordering RROD xbox's by the PALLET. I developed software that combined with what I sold it for profited about $200k.

Low end guys should absolutely be afraid. Us driven guys will always find ways. I'm in the planning stages still for my next software company but I want to get EVERYTHING planned possible before I start coding anything.

What's your view on guys like me?

No cert's, self taught, end user deskside support etc etc......?

I want to lean more towards configuration.....or management......

What's your view on guys like me?

No cert's, self taught, end user deskside support etc etc......?

I want to lean more towards configuration.....or management......

the support side of things is well entry level IT jobs which can be had without certs, without anything. To get meaningful employment your options are either staying within the same company or going and getting a degree. I was a HS dropout that walked right into making more than my parents. Times have changed and at 30 I'm in school. Outside of some rare occurrences the real jobs require paper to get into OR of course the majority of the other cases its people working up from within the ranks of a company.

MCSD (deciding on track but I have trouble taking ASP seriously)

I would have trouble taking ASP seriously too, since it's successor (ASP.NET) came out over a decade ago.

ASP.NET MVC is the technology focused on by the web applications track of MCSD, and if you can't take that seriously, it could only be because you're not a serious computer guy. ASP.NET is probably one of the most solid web technologies out there.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing what you would take seriously, though, in place of ASP.NET.

I would have trouble taking ASP seriously too, since it's successor (ASP.NET) came out over a decade ago.

ASP.NET MVC is the technology focused on by the web applications track of MCSD, and if you can't take that seriously, it could only be because you're not a serious computer guy. ASP.NET is probably one of the most solid web technologies out there.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing what you would take seriously, though, in place of ASP.NET.

PHP of course. the .NET MVC is implied but is stupid to always say.

Think about the WHY part of it. No serious computer guy is running a windows web server. Linux is simply better for web servers. Yes you can make linux run ASP but why? Windows servers have a place but pure web server absolutely not

the support side of things is well entry level IT jobs which can be had without certs, without anything. To get meaningful employment your options are either staying within the same company or going and getting a degree. I was a HS dropout that walked right into making more than my parents. Times have changed and at 30 I'm in school. Outside of some rare occurrences the real jobs require paper to get into OR of course the majority of the other cases its people working up from within the ranks of a company.

Same, highschool drop out. 31 years old.

Im in the high 40's a year range at this time. In other states with higher cost of living I would be in the higher 50's. I am a few cert's away from making over 70k. A lot of the jobs around here pay well because it's not considered a "tech hub" per-say.

Though google is here with a data center about 4 miles away from me......if only I had HVAC and Linux experience.....

PHP of course.

...And of all the choices you could have possibly come up with (Rails, Django, Spring, Struts, Node.js, HTML::Mason), you picked the stupidest one.

the .NET MVC is implied but is stupid to always say.

I would argue otherwise, because there's a decent handful of things which have ASP in the name. There's even one thing whose name is ASP, and it's much older than ASP.NET.

Think about the WHY part of it. No serious computer guy is running a windows web server.

I thought you said you've done computer work before....Clearly you haven't, though. Not if you think that.

Linux is simply better for web servers.

That's a fairly closed minded, and hard to support statement. Do you have any tangible reasons why you believe Linux is better?

Yes you can make linux run ASP but why?

...Because you want your web application to be binary compatible with a larger set of, .NET based system? If you already have classes and interfaces to represent the resources you're working with in your systems, why would you spend all of the time and money re-writing them for PHP, when you could just import all of those classes and interfaces into your ASP.NET application, consume web services you probably already have and jump straight into getting things done? If your ETL systems and your data warehousing systems were all written in .NET, it makes sense to write your web front-end in .NET as well.

Or maybe people just don't want to work with something as quirky and cheap plastic as PHP. C# is a world class language with world class features that runs on a world class intermediate framework and is supported by world class tools and world class documentation. If I have a choice between writing my website in C# (ASP.NET) and writing my website in PHP, I'm going to choose C#.

Windows servers have a place but pure web server absolutely not

There's some seriously profitable businesses (a lot of them, too) who clearly disagree with you on that.

That's a fairly closed minded, and hard to support statement. Do you have any tangible reasons why you believe Linux is better?

So you believe there's no evidence to support Linux being a better web server environment than windows? I can't even talk to somebody that is stupid and closed minded enough to make a statement like that. I actually even specified it as a pure web server in my statement.

So you believe there's no evidence to support Linux being a better web server environment than windows? I can't even talk to somebody that is stupid and closed minded enough to make a statement like that. I actually even specified it as a pure web server in my statement.

Unfortunately, the burden of proof for that statement is on you, since 1.) You're the one making that claim, and 2.) proof is far easier than disproof.

Furthermore, some of the most profitable websites in the world run on ASP.NET & IIS. There are lots of major server applications that run on Windows and not Linux. I would argue that there isn't any notable server software that runs on Linux, but not Windows.

Finally, people who say things like this generally aren't allowed to tell people what is or isn't good in web development.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040324153&postcount=2

Furthermore, some of the most profitable websites in the world run on ASP.NET & IIS. There are lots of major server applications that run on Windows and not Linux. I would argue that there isn't any notable server software that runs on Linux, but not Windows.

Finally, people who say things like this generally aren't allowed to tell people what is or isn't good in web development.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040324153&postcount=2

oh really? most profitable web sites run ASP? like what?

Amazon is completely linux based because it is superior. Notice how nice and fast amazon ALWAYS loads?

Facebook is all powered by PHP is it not? While its a compiled PHP it is still PHP. Yes that site isn't always the most responsive but its the biggest there is.

google? While the actual search is C++ (NOT SHARP) They are big in python and COMBINING technologies. But oh yeah, they only run linux

Wikipedia is a joke but is huge and entirely PHP powered.

Youtube? All linux. most stuff is apache powered while the video is lighthttpd

face it, your beloved windows server and MS trash language are not used by anybody actually big. Microsoft's sites are among the worst in the world from a speed and usability standpoint and they're the morons who make it!

Windows is a wasteful environment and when you're actually big that WASTE becomes millions a year. Good luck finding anybody actually big only using windows servers. Those big guys will be the same ones who have sites that are hard to navigate and simply unfriendly to users because the same morons who developed the site are designing it as well.

I have tried to say that windows servers have some applications but for some reason you believe there's no valid application of a linux server which is the dumbest statement a person could even try to claim. Linux runs the web so DEAL WITH IT!

This argument is pointless.

Plenty of successful shops run both Windows and Linux. That's not to say one is better than the other. Each fits a need. However, to say no serious guy is running a Windows web server is an ignorant comment.

There are plenty of companies with thousands of users running SharePoint fully engrained in IIS. Plenty more use MS Exchange with WebMail farms and 10's of thousands of users or more. This doesn't mean Windows is a better OS to run a web server on. In fact, it doesn't mean anything other than that is the platform that both SharePoiint and Exchange run best on.

On the other hand, Ruby and Java are also used everywhere, and run extremely well on Linux. They too scale well in many areas.

Some of the largest social networks in the world (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) are all using Ruby or Java and are deploying their servers on Linux. (flavors of Unbuntu, RHEL, and the like).

That being said, don't miss my point .You don't just choose Linux or Windows. Your CODE chooses your OS for you as does your level of expertise in IIS, Apache, and NGIX. All common web servers used today.

There's really no reason to argue here.

oh really? most profitable web sites run ASP? like what?

Amazon is completely linux based because it is superior. Notice how nice and fast amazon ALWAYS loads?

Facebook is all powered by PHP is it not? While its a compiled PHP it is still PHP. Yes that site isn't always the most responsive but its the biggest there is.

google? While the actual search is C++ (NOT SHARP) They are big in python and COMBINING technologies. But oh yeah, they only run linux

Wikipedia is a joke but is huge and entirely PHP powered.

Youtube? All linux. most stuff is apache powered while the video is lighthttpd

face it, your beloved windows server and MS trash language are not used by anybody actually big. Microsoft's sites are among the worst in the world from a speed and usability standpoint and they're the morons who make it!

Windows is a wasteful environment and when you're actually big that WASTE becomes millions a year. Good luck finding anybody actually big only using windows servers. Those big guys will be the same ones who have sites that are hard to navigate and simply unfriendly to users because the same morons who developed the site are designing it as well.

I have tried to say that windows servers have some applications but for some reason you believe there's no valid application of a linux server which is the dumbest statement a person could even try to claim. Linux runs the web so DEAL WITH IT!

...Says the guy who in another thread recommended that another member hardcode usernames and passwords into a PHP page. Look, if you had any credible skills and experience in web development, you wouldn't be saying such silly things. Plain and simple. Those of us here who work in the industry know what kind of people make such comments, and we know the value and capabilities of most of the common tools out there. We all know how promenent and power .NET really is, just as we do the other technologies that are available to us. If you really believe that ASP.NET is in some way significantly worse or less capable than the other languages and frameworks out there, it's only because you haven't done any real development.

I gave up trying to explain to Gomar because he's just having a conversation with himself since he's clearly not having a discussion with us

I addressed the OP's question:
Ferris U is not on the list of ABET colleges.

If the OP likes that college, go there, and forget if it does or does not have ABET.

Back