Picked up a new Westy TX-42F430S 42" 1080p HDTV !!

4x4not

Gawd
Well, the title says it. I was looking to replace the small 26" 720p LCD HDTV I sold before moving and ALMOST bought a Westy LVM42W2 42" but I happened to see the NEW Westinghouse TX-42F430S TVs for sale at BestBuy. They look like they use the same display, but include an ATSC & NTSC tuner, 4, yes FOUR HDMI ports, and the TV cost me less than $1300 out the door from a local retailer. And so far, I am happy! I just moved in so I don't have cable yet, but I had some shows recorded on my DVR machine and played them back, along with a normal DVD. Everything so far looks awesome. Here are some (crappy) shots:

IMG_3097.JPG

Vista in 1920x1080 looks glorious!

IMG_3105.JPG

HDTV recording in Vista Media Center (720p I believe). It looks damn good.

IMG_3107.JPG

SDTV, zoomed to fit the screen. It doesn't look too bad at all. Better than my old LCD for sure.

Yes, ignore the craptaculous TV stand. I am still moving in and couldn't wait to hook up the TV. I will be picking up a real stand in a couple days, along with a couch to sit on (I'm using a folding chair!) and also setting up my surround sound. Oh, the speakers in the TV actually work really well. There is even a subwoofer built in. Not much punch, but stuff doesn't sound tinny at all. Once I get my cable and HD stuff setup I can post some more pics. Not that my crappy digicam does it ANY justice!

Have you played any PC games on it? If so, any problems? I'm assuming you are using a DVI -> HDMI cable?

Nice TV =) Love the Man vs. Wild too. Although slightly unrelated, I'm very happy with my 37w3 purchase :p

No games yet. I don't have too many games anymore, but I might install a couple. Actually, I'm using a VGA cable because my HDMI cables I ordered are in the mail! Still looks good though.

Very cool!

Might I ask what is your opinion in regards to the speakers?

Typically I haven't heard many reviews in this regard since most people focus on either the image quality or the input capabilities. Speakers are often overshadowed as a result.

Get a DVI cable from monoprice.com

It blows VGA away on a PC -> Westy
I have two HDMI cables on order, as well as a DVI -> HDMI adapter for the media computer.

Very cool!

Might I ask what is your opinion in regards to the speakers?

Typically I haven't heard many reviews in this regard since most people focus on either the image quality or the input capabilities. Speakers are often overshadowed as a result.
The speakers are actually really good. They sound crisp, and not tinny. The built-in sub helps with that I'm sure. If I didn't have a 5.1 system I could definately live with the sound quality for a long time.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention is that it has a ClearQAM tuner as well...

awesome, you can buy these from bestbuy canada...how new is it, i kinda stopped looking for TV's but now that some new games for the PS are coming out i'm back on the hunt

I have two HDMI cables on order, as well as a DVI -> HDMI adapter for the media computer.

The speakers are actually really good. They sound crisp, and not tinny. The built-in sub helps with that I'm sure. If I didn't have a 5.1 system I could definately live with the sound quality for a long time.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention is that it has a ClearQAM tuner as well...

Good to hear. If anything I am surprised by the price of this model. The first question that immediately comes to mind at such a price is "what's the catch?" but this one seems to cover its bases well.

I will add this model to my "looks good / good priced" list which currently includes those Toshiba Regza models.

To the OP... There is a 10% off coupon floating around at FatWallet.com that would apply to this tv. You should print out the coupon and see if they'll correct the price without you bringing back the TV. You're bound to save about $100.

The coupon says "Not in combination with other offers" and also "Must be present at store purchase" but I might try anyway. It can't hurt!

i have the LVM42w2 1080p..purchased mid January ish.

wish I saw these coming out, but they didnt release any information about them. :O(

want to trade?

No deal on that trade my friend :D

Oh, and THANK YOU DriveEuro for reminding me about that coupon (i actually had my own from moving). The kid at the CS desk at Best Buy took off another 10%, no questions asked! So this TV cost me just over $1100 with tax. Totally awesome....

does this exhibit any of the slightly brighter on the right side syndrome that some of the 37se users are reporting

Bought the 37" from costco for around 950 with tax/shipping/membership fee.

And seeing that you got a larger screen with tuner that has close to the same display as the 37".....kinda debating on whether to return the 37 and get the 42.

Would save me getting a tuner in the future, and make for a cleaner setup without an external tuner, etc. And no need for an hdmi switch to get the number of hookups I need. Sucks with no dvi port, but can be alleviated with dvi to hdmi cable.

Now, I need to know if I can still get the price you got on it. And if anyone has any information that would suggest I would be better off keeping the 37? I know Costco extends the warranty out, and that's one of the things Im really debating since BBs warranties have too many stipulations.

My plans are to hook up two computer to the screen and a cable line (was going to do this via external tuner or PC tuner). So......opinions?

does this exhibit any of the slightly brighter on the right side syndrome that some of the 37se users are reporting
When the screen is completely black I do notice a slightly brighter right side, yes. But if there is anything on the screen it isn't noticable at all. I guess maybe in a REALLY dark schene, but I don't notice it.

When the screen is completely black I do notice a slightly brighter right side, yes. But if there is anything on the screen it isn't noticable at all. I guess maybe in a REALLY dark schene, but I don't notice it.

Damn.. I know its just slight, but I just have to wonder... what gives with the defects all the sudden? I swear, every good LCD I hear of, within a year some manufacturing defect starts showing up that just kills it.

Damn.. I know its just slight, but I just have to wonder... what gives with the defects all the sudden? I swear, every good LCD I hear of, within a year some manufacturing defect starts showing up that just kills it.

My 37w7 does the same thing too. It's done it ever since I set it up, but I'm ok with it. I only notice it when the screen is completely black (which is hardly ever). I wouldn't sweat it, but I guess its up to you

No deal on that trade my friend :D

Oh, and THANK YOU DriveEuro for reminding me about that coupon (i actually had my own from moving). The kid at the CS desk at Best Buy took off another 10%, no questions asked! So this TV cost me just over $1100 with tax. Totally awesome....

is this that moving coupon from 6/1/07-7/31/07?

is this that moving coupon from 6/1/07-7/31/07?
You got it.

I don't think the brighter right side is a DEFECT, but more of an engineering issue. It really isn't a big deal unless you watch lots of plain black screens.

You got it.

I don't think the brighter right side is a DEFECT, but more of an engineering issue. It really isn't a big deal unless you watch lots of plain black screens.

lol i seriously doubt its going to affect me...question though when you went to buy this did you get a chance to see it up on the wall? All my local places are only stocking anywhere from 0-3 and say they probably won't even show it until they have more

Hi 4x4not... did you get your HDMI to DVI adapter yet? How is the picture using the digital cabling?

I have been trying to get this dvi to hdmi cable working properly and having no luck. Hopefully 4x4 got his and can help me out heh

there is a black frame around the picture and the screen picture quality is really bad when I DONT have it hooked up to VGA

I even called Westinghouse on the slim chance that they would help me and the guy said they didnt support DVI to Hdmi and that he didnt know why it wasnt working properly

I can get the screen to run at 30hz interlaced but not 75hz even when I force it it STILL wont work properly

60hz still doesnt work with the dvi to hdmi cable

the display and the card are both able to do 75hz and that was supposed to be a work around for an ATI card problem

didnt work though

im running this on vga and if you look closely its kind of blurry, is this just vga being vga?

Ooops... forgot I made this thread. I've been busy :D

Anyway, I got the DVI -> HDMI adapter and cables, and while the picture LOOKS better, i'm having the ever-so-common Vista HDMI sync issue where it sometimes doesn't sync up and I get no display. I have to unplug the cable to get it to work. I thought it was a TV issue, but apparently this is a freaking Vista issue. Oh how I wish they would release Linux drivers for my tuner card soon!!! But even so, when it works the picture is awesome! I also finally got my digital cable hooked up and have HDMI from the cable box. It looks great! Overall I am very happy with this TV and would recommend it to anyone looking to save a little money but still have a nice big, sharp display.

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

I finally got some real furniture too, so the TV looks even better :cool:

Back