Picked up a neopower last night

schapman

Gawd
I was having an "awsome" issue where when I powered down my pc I'd have to wait about 20 minutes for it to turn back on. If I tried it earlier it would just about post and reboot over and over. Posted here a while back about the issue (thought it was the new motherboard I had picked up, but an rma on that didnt solve it).

Went last night and got the neopower 480 watt... and wow. First off, problem solved now (YAY). Secondly... the modular cables make wiring up a case a dream. I only use the 1 120mm rear fan in my antec sonata, 1 HDD, 1 DVD burner, and 1 cd burner. Being able to hand pick which cables I needed made it turn out beautiful. With little to know effort I now end up with a very clean looking interior ot my case.

The only complaint I could have is the 24->20 pin adapter on the atx power connector is a bit on the long side, but this let me fit the power cable under my psu so its virtually disappeared.

I highly recommend this PSU to anybody looking for someone that wants good quality, and a nice functional interior to their case.

Id recommend not using the adapter if you can manage it
if there is clearence simply connect the 24 pin to the 20 pin mobo
its uniquely keyed and you cant connect to the wrong pins
there is only one orientation that will work
the clips wont line up, but a spot of hotglue would secure it in need
on my board done like that there is no stress on the connector and no need for hotglue
(Spiral wrapped and shaped lead)

the issue is that any adapter you employ adds some resistance
on a typical 4 pin molex thats not a big issue its grounds +5V & +12V (BLK RED YEL)
on a mobo connector however you also have the +3.3V (orange)
and the small amount of resistance proportionally has a much larger impact,
generally still "in spec" as far as the voltage drop, but also less than ideal

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=106

have fun with your new toy ;)

meh.. it boots, it's stable and I can hide the cable away. I also doubt the resistance added on the connection can be all that much and with the antec auto-adjusting its voltage, it should be able to compensate.

schapman said:
meh.. it boots, it's stable and I can hide the cable away. I also doubt the resistance added on the connection can be all that much and with the antec auto-adjusting its voltage, it should be able to compensate.

Wouldn't removing the converter help to make your already nice looking power cables even better? The convertor that came with my Enermax PS was quite large and was very difficult to make look decent.

schapman said:
and with the antec auto-adjusting its voltage, it should be able to compensate.

internally
its not adjusting based on feedback from the motherboard
you have to adjust it to optimal yourself, with a digital multimeter measured at the final mobo connector by adjusting the supply's pots

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=765175

something overclockers do quite alot, to the point many supplies have external pots or external access to the pots

but as you said its stable and even if its dropping as much as Lee Garbutt measured in that seasonic adapter (from 3.24V without to 3.18V with) its still likely in spec

and lets not forget how functional.. and sexy it looks. Modular cables FTW. I'm completely sold on the idea when a 5 minute wiring job looks better than an hour trying to hide extra crap all over.

Back