Picked up 2 more Veloci's..

plac

Gawd
Picked up 2 more Velociraptors.. because my local Best Buy had them on clearance for $114 each. Also picked up their last 80GB Intel X25 SSD drive. From a pure speed standpoint, would one Intel SSD beat 2 velociraptors in raid? I suppose there are different areas of speed.. Nothing will beat SSD for access response time..

Picked up 2 more Velociraptors.. because my local Best Buy had them on clearance for $114 each. Also picked up their last 80GB Intel X25 SSD drive. From a pure speed standpoint, would one Intel SSD beat 2 velociraptors in raid? I suppose there are different areas of speed.. Nothing will beat SSD for access response time..

bench it!!! tell us the answer. im picking the ssd.

weird. my Intel X25 80GB SSD gets an average read of 265MB/s and access time of 0.0ms, but my OCZ Agility 120GB SSD only got 160MB/s.. Different computers and stuff, but thats a pretty big difference.

What controller does the Agility have? I guess Indilinx, that may be the reason.

The only thing the raptors would be faster for would be sequential writes.

Sequential reads would probably be very similar, as a single velociraptor has about half the sequential read of an X25-M.

Of course the SSD would have a massive advantage in terms of access times, and any reads and writes that aren't sequential.

1 Intel SSD would beat 100 velociraptors in raid 0 in the small reads and writes that account for over 90% of reads and writes for typical desktop usage. As for STR 3 velociraptors would beat the intel SSD in reads and 2 would beat it in writes. But how often do you read and write large files sequentially?

Last edited:
weird. my Intel X25 80GB SSD gets an average read of 265MB/s and access time of 0.0ms, but my OCZ Agility 120GB SSD only got 160MB/s.. Different computers and stuff, but thats a pretty big difference.

Just wondering, what are the different systems? What benchmark are you using?

Normally, a 120GB Indilinx drive will have the same (+/- 10%) sequential reads/ writes than a 80GB G2, but the G2 has much faster 4K writes and much slower sequential writes. I have seen lower performance on AMD southbridges versus the ICH10R/ and 3400 (has the ICH10R basically) based chipsets and performance with newer Indilinx firmware is much better. Still, I haven't seen any of my 120GB Indilinx drives be that slow.

My Intel SSD is in the machin in my sig, my gaming machine.

The OCZ SSD is in my Alienware M11X laptop, which has a really slow cpu. Thats probably another reason the OCZ just isnt performing too fast.

i was thinking about doing that. but i gotta see if i can sell my two new sealed raptors locally before i decide to use them. i have a 3rd 300gb raptor in my machine right now, but only for backups. my steam install is on my SSD.

My Agility gets 225MB/s seq reads and 125MB/s seq writes with 1.5 firmware. (Using CrystalDiskMark)

Back