Pick you flavor

Which is your open source security appliance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jgedeon

Limp Gawd
Not to be a flame war, just a post of opinions. Vote for your preference with Open Source network security appliances. If you choose the option other please tell us about your preference.

I checked Endian, IPCop, and Untangle.

Untangle is current favorite, it's so full featured...
Endian was prior favorite....stable and good features.
IPCop...I entered that..but only if it has the Copfilter add-on.

IMO the only reason I'd run a *nix router distro is to get UTM features....antivirus and anti-spam scanning. Else....it's just a glorified NAT router.

I used a cisco ethernet NAT router for a bit, but didnt like the lack of firewall etc.

I'm a fan of Untangle, it has an easy setup, is good at what is does, and provides modular functionality based on what you need without too much difficulty.

m0n0wall

It's nice and small and runs on tiny little boxes. But I am thinking about buying one of those Via Pico-ITX setups with a few USB NIC's and see about running Untangle on it.

I just set up Untangle with all of the bells and whistles.... anti virus, spam blocker, phishing filter, plus so much more.

The fact that I was able to set it up with no problems quickly and easily must mean that the designers at Untangle did a good job.

I really like Untangle. Alot! :D

Untangle is too much of a hog for a pentium III/II, which i think quite a few of use use for our routers.

Voted for IPCop, Smoothwall and pfSense.

Smoothwall: Great community - a lot of mods and a lot of friendly help if you need it.
IPCop: Great community - a lot of mods and a lot of friendly help if you need it.
pfSense: Good product, a cut above the rest in fact, if only they could pull their heads out of their own arses and be friendly to their community.

m0n0wall and pfSense are my favorite because the run on the WRAP/ALIX boards. Very low power and can stay on 24/7 with no noticeable impact on my power bill.

For businesses, it's nice to have features like antivirus, caching or antispam, but I really don't need any of that at home. pfSense does some of it, but I don't even use those features. Most of the open-source alternatives for those kinds of things don't do as well as the software on my PC anyway.

-Robert

I've only tried endian, pfsense, smoothwall, and ipcop.

IPCOP is the only one I could get everything I needed to work without bugs. Well, and endian too. But Ipcop has been my fav. so far.

We setup PFSense and Smoothwall in our networking class last year. PFSense took a lot of work to get it running, Smoothwall seemed pretty easy. I am no firewall expert though.

Smoothwall 3.0 w/a few mods FTW!

I have tried most of them, and keep coming back to smoothwall for various reasons and features.

Homebrew!

Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS Server Edition + Shorewall Firewall + dhcpd\bind\freeradius + OpenVPN.

I'd run an actual firewall distribution except in all except really pfSense, OpenVPN and FreeRADIUS support are crippled (lack of AD Authentication in FreeRADIUS and lack of out-of-the-box bridge support and multiple tunnels in OpenVPN).

So I'm happy with what I've got setup now :D. Works fabulously.

<sarcasm>
My choice is ISA 2006 FTW!
</sarcasm>

At work we run a smoothie, at home I have an Endian Setup. For non-home use I would stay away from a homebrew setup. I would go with anything that has paid support so when your customer's setup is messed up and you can't figure out what's going on, tech support can save the day.

For non-home use I would stay away from a homebrew setup. I would go with anything that has paid support so when your customer's setup is messed up and you can't figure out what's going on, tech support can save the day.

Not really, Apache hosts most of the internet and i dont know of payed support for that.

Back