Pick the core [picture]

Treppiede

Limp Gawd
Gentlemen,
I have a K7S5A motherboard laying around and a buddy of mine has two Athlon XP 2600+ processors laying around. He brought both the other day and I am unsure which one to pick, looks like they are different cores but I've been out of the game for a little while and I don't know which one I should get:

aXPs.jpg

Suggestions? In what do they differ?

Thank you in advance!

-Walter

you see those little black stickers on the bottom with the AD0000%CDXEC%AAA numbers and such?

we need to be able to see those clearly

or type them out in the post

google them yourself, you will find the difference

I think the one on the left is a Thoroughbred B? The one on the right is a Barton.

And a Palomino is a smaller square core.

i think all the Barton's were on the brown silicon weren't they....i do seem to remember that.....

i think all the Barton's were on the brown silicon weren't they....i do seem to remember that.....

Yeah, I had it backwards, the organic pga was brown. The chip on the right is most likely an early revision Barton core. On the later ones you could see the pin traces leading to the core.

The one on the right is the Barton core, whereas the one on the left is the Thoroughbred B. IIRC, the ECS K7S5A (great AGP 4x board back in the day!) only supports a 266MHz FSB, so you're pretty much stuck with the one on the left.

Differences are:

Thoroughbred B
2133MHz core clock
266MHz FSB
128KB L1
256KB L2

Barton
1917MHz core clock
333MHz FSB
128KB L1
512KB L2

The brown one on the right appears to read

axda2600dkv4d

which means that it is indeed a Barton. You could tell that from the size of the core anyway. Additional specs.:
1916 MHz (166 MHz x11.5)
1.65 V
85 C maximum die temperature
512 KB L2 cache
333 MHz FSB

Guys, thanks for the replies and apologies for failing to transcribe the readings, I didn't mean for you to go blind on that picture.

Here they are:

Left side (green):
AXDA2600DKV3D

Right side (brown):
AXDA2600DKV4D

Due to the limited FSB that the K7S5A supports, I would like to use the core out of which I can squeeze the most cycles. Wouldn't make sense to get the one clocked @ 2.1GHz if the one @ 1.9GHz is faster due to (for example) the cache and viceversa.

Thanks again for your help, let me know if anything changed now that I posted the readings or if your suggestions above are still valid.

Regards,

-Walter

guys

the Tbred-B also ran a 333 FSB with all parts 2600+ (only the 2600+ and 2800+) on up, that CPU on the left is meant to run at 166*12.5 (i had one myself, but the asshats at the compshop set min to run 21*100 because they couldnt get it ro run stable with a 166 mhz FSB, turns out they put in defective ram which wouldnt run stable over 100 mhz, instead the guy kept ranting about AMD making shoddy cpus and praising intel for its P4 :( )

the good news is though, if you have an early production run Tbred-B, it will still be multi unlocked, so you should be able to run it at 16*133 mhz or 21*100 for its desired clockspeed

The barton is a tad faster clock for clock, and probably uses a bit less power, but is CERTAINLY multi-locked, and will need a mobo capable of 166 FSB to run full speed

The code on the green one on the left indicates that it is a Thoroughbred B:

2083 MHz (166 MHz x12.5)
1.65 V
85 C maximum die temperature
256 KB L2 cache
333 MHz FSB

It is NOT the 266 MHz FSB version (2133 MHz, 133 MHz x16), which is relatively rare.

If the motherboard cannot go above 266 FSB, then you can only use these chips underclocked. In that case, you are better off using the one with the higher multiplier. The green chip would run at 1667 MHz (133 MHz x12.5), and would be identified by the board as a XP 2000+.

EDIT: my typing is too slow.

EDIT: my typing is too slow.

heh, i would have been sooner myself if it wasnt for workpace forcing me off of my pc

anyway, as i said, if the Tbred is an early model, it is still multi-unlocked, so no need to run underclocked, you will just incurr a minor penalty due to less FSB bandwidth

Thanks again guys.
According to these guys the K7S5A should handle the 2600+ Thoroughbred without problems, so I'll try that.
Today I just realized I left my stack of "spare" DDR modules at my parents' house, so I'll have to wait before firing up the machine and flashing the BIOS.

BTW, check this out, looks like they both run with a 333MHz FSB.

Thanks again, I'll let you know if I encounter any problems.

-Walter

Thanks for the suggestion Ace... would you happen to remember what the differences are between the latest ECS BIOS and the one on that site (besides overclocking)?

I am mostly interested in proper CPU detection and stability.

Thanks,

-Walter

they are just modified releases. so cheepo took the stock bios, and added options to change values in the bios not originally offered. Check the latest release date, and check the latest cheepo bios on that page. If they ever come close to matching, you wont have a problem with detection and ect

Back