• Windows XP Professional

Votes: 33 39.8%
  • Other

Votes: 26 31.3%

• Total voters

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
well i am still on windows 2000

and i always hated xp, with its endless popups, and never getting to the point of being finished and stable, and done updating, the taskpane that always has useless choices.

but maybe its gotten better,

so pick my operating system, i am picky about space, colors, organization, i dont want my pictures or my music or my movies on my windows drive. i dont want to lose all files if i need to reinstall.

but i play games, and now ms makes their games only for xp, and any games that require aegia physx drivers wont run on win2k because the drivers are only for xp. i want to also enjoy nvidia's purevideo, gelato, and os native dvd playback, all requiring at least xp.

so my choices are winxp home, winxp pro, and i might like windows mce

i think i really want 1 OS, because i go from games to work to information really fast.

im not going to buy a new comp until vista comes out, 64-bit, ddr-2, maybe quad core.

right now i have a barton 3200, 2x512 ram, nvidia 7800gs.

my windows 2000 screenies: i will undoubtedly tweak whatever i get to something i like. i dont like bloatware, so all the tweaks are manual tweaks, i made all graphics other than the wallpaper and the icons, the layout, the sizes etc, all from obsessive organization.

swindows20008ns.jpg

swindows2000desktop5fh.jpg

Purevideo and "native DVD playback" work under Windows 2000.

Anyway. If you just want a temp OS until Vista, then I would say get XP Home, because it is cheapest.

LOL. You organize your Warez.

XP Pro is probably the most customizable OS right now, plenty of tweaks out there for you.

Love the warez folder :D

btw your windows 2000 looks awesome with that skin :eek:

Go with the cheapest windows you find, prolly XP Home

oldmx

Damn, this post is tempting me to go rebuild an old box and load 2000 on it with a good eye candy to looks like yours :D

oldmx

another thing i hate about xp, is all visual tweaks other than choosing between blue, green, and silver, are under an advanced tab. and i still cant figure out how to edit individual folder backgrounds and layouts in xp,

i need to get me an ftp of some kind to upload my stuff. i have a folder in my winnt/ directory called backrounds that houses all my backgrounds, most done in paint shop pro.

edited in pic:
clipboard010iq.jpg

and then i edited the folder.htt file to change sizes of the default fugly taskpane for all windows and gave it a reasonably modern apple shine.

i also edited the video preview out of the taskpanes because it breaks the; cut and paste, or delete functions - and wmp bugs out if there is any broken codec,

im trying to find a small free ftp to load the theme in, my charter isp account is almost never accessable

and this system has 15 processes on bootup, and takes 120 megs of ram, if i kill the firewall and object dock, it takes under 100. and no skinning apps whatsoever.

i am obsessive about having a fast, stable, organized, sorted, pretty computer.

You really don't sound like you want to switch.

Get XP or don't. If you don't like it, sell it. End of story.

This looks like more of a "Show off my l33t wallpapered folders" thread than an OS thread.
Why would you want complete strangers picking your OS? We're not going to know your exact needs/wants, or what OS has the best feel for you. So I'm gonna tell you to run MS BOB on top of Windows 3.11 just to fuck with you. :p

OldMX said:
Love the warez folder :D

btw your windows 2000 looks awesome with that skin :eek:

Go with the cheapest windows you find, prolly XP Home

oldmx

Considering all the warez I doubt price will be an issue. :p

Legally speaking Linux would be the cheapest though.

go with xp pro ... reading just the initial post, it sounds like you'll want to have explicit folder/file permission settings (among other capabilities) and xp home will not allow you to take ownership of files (pro will) nor provide the more detailed settings/tweakage that you are looking for.

Danith said:
What program gets you that nice bar with the big icons on top?

freeware Object Dock,

then i just found some nice icons @ wincustomize.org and the ones i liked the most and used those.

------------------
i still havent figured out how to do graphical tweaking in xphome on my laptop, is there a place that explains how?

or can someone give me the location of the xp taskpane codings,

im buying a hdd soon and ill switch to at least xp then. and yes i will purchase it.

Windows MCE
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Professional
Other

The first 3 are the same shit.

Back