Votes: 40 41.2%
  • Razer Deathadder ($66)

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Logitech MX518 ($34)

Votes: 29 29.9%

• Total voters

ryken

2[H]4U
I need/want a new wired mouse to replace my MX1000. I'm sick of wireless and the battery isn't holding up on it anymore. I've narrowed it down to these four based on specs, prices, and size. I've never had a razer product before, but I'm open to it.

I mostly play BC2 right now, although I also play TF2 and DA:O. Plus the fiancee uses it, so it can't be outrageous size/color/buttons/etc.

Prizes are newegg and just for reference.

The curves and the shape of the Naga are simply unbeatable. That gets my vote instead of the Deathadder. Go buy it at Bestbuy to try it..

naga is a no go. too many side buttons for my liking, and the fiancee would have a fit.

The Razer Imperator is a great mouse. Super comfortable, and absurdly accurate. I love the fact that the two thumb buttons can be moved forwards or backwards to fit your liking. I used Logitech mice for a long time but Razer has me now.

The sensor in the Imperator is trash.

The MX518 has prediction.

G500 or Deathadder.
If you do go Deathadder, try to get the older 1800dpi version; it is superior.

I would base my decision on the comfort/feel of the two. Any best buy should have both on display for you to put your hand on. A lot of people including myself can't stand the "ledge" on the right side of the g500 that sticks out perpendicular to the way you naturally want to lay your finger along the side of the mouse. Only way to tell if you're one of those people is to try it at the store.

is this because of the Philips Twin-eye sensor?
yes MX518 has prediction, but G500 has acceleration.​

is this because of the Philips Twin-eye sensor?
yes MX518 has prediction, but G500 has acceleration.

Yeah, those Twin-eyes are not great.

About the G500; yeah it probably does. I always forget among the G9x, xai, and g500 which ones are the ones people complain about. I think what I heard was that it's a tuning/firmware issue with the sensor and that one of them, probably the G9x, has accel-free or near accel-free tracking.

Regardless, the MX518 has a worse issue in my opinion, one that is going to affect you at all speeds.

Yeah, those Twin-eyes are not great.

About the G500; yeah it probably does. I always forget among the G9x, xai, and g500 which ones are the ones people complain about. I think what I heard was that it's a tuning/firmware issue with the sensor and that one of them, probably the G9x, has accel-free or near accel-free tracking.

Regardless, the MX518 has a worse issue in my opinion, one that is going to affect you at all speeds.

it’s seems related to the OS (vista/xp fix, win7) the win7 fix worked when no in-game with me but in-game I still have green/red colors in MouseMovementRecorder.exe

hard to vote but i'll vote for the G500, the mx518 was, still and will always be a great mouse. but it's just outdated (looks childish a litle bit :))

I picked the g500 because it has such a clean design and the toggle mouse scroll is really nice. The changeable weight is also nice even tho I keep no weight in it.

Xai seems to have a ton of driver issues according to newegg reviews. Any merit in that?

What does "acceleration" mean when it comes to mice, and is that something I want or no?

I like my Sidewinder...a lot...:)

You might like it, some people really hate them though. :(

i voted for the G500 since it's successor of the G5 which I have and like very much. (although, i prefer to game with my Logitech g9x). in my opinion, comfort is the most important feature of a mouse. i think that as long as you stick with mice that have 2000 dpi or more than comfort should be the deciding factor.

in my opinion, comfort is the most important feature of a mouse.
This has some merit. If you aren't comfortable with your mouse, it's trash regardless of how impressive the internals or features are.

i think that as long as you stick with mice that have 2000 dpi or more...
This kind of thinking could do with some fixin' though, you've fallen victim to marketing. Higher dpi does NOT mean "better mouse" whatsoever. Top gamers the world over are using 400dpi mice; namely the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Wheel Mouse Optical, etc.

The more important qualities of the mouse are:
1.) Consistent functionality in that it doesn't alter input. (sensor doesn't add or subtract movement, predict movement, skip, or otherwise freakout in any way.) and...
2.) As you stated, the comfort of the mouse.

You will be very hard pressed to find people (Who aren't poor players) using their mouse at max dpi settings these days, because doing 4 360s in the space of 1cm of mouse movement is neither desirable nor easily controllable by human reflexes/precision.

(And no, having your dpi at 5600 and turning your in game sensitivity down to .0000003 is not good either. You will have much better results running a lower dpi with a more normal sensitivity.)

I'm not too picky comfort wise, and all three should work out in that respect. Sidewinder is off the list for its horrible looks and side button layout.

Anyone have any comments on the tracking abilities of the four compared to each other? Mousepad is ratpadz xt for reference.

For tracking issues and some more in depth QA I think you would do well to browse around the forum @ esreality.com.

I still think a deathadder 3g is your best bet here. You can get one for about half the price you have listed up there which is probably for the 3.5g. Once you download the firmware update from razer's site to disable drift control, it's practically perfect.

I'm not too picky comfort wise, and all three should work out in that respect. Sidewinder is off the list for its horrible looks and side button layout.

Anyone have any comments on the tracking abilities of the four compared to each other? Mousepad is ratpadz xt for reference.

Have you used one? They work out just fine for me. Granted I do have big hands :D

my hands are far from big and the fiancee's are smaller. the looks of it are a deal killer for me as well.

Where can I get a deathadder for half the price listed? I looked on ebay but they were all 50+

Where can I get a deathadder for half the price listed? I looked on ebay but they were all 50+

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011562

Hope you like guildwars! :p

You'll probably turn out the light on the body anyway. ;)

Edit:
Looks like they're out of stock! Just noticed. They probably won't come back in again, ever. That's a shame because I was thinking about picking up a couple last week before "new" 3g DAs become impossible to find. Sucks because that deal was up there forever.

I'd recommend the G9x, it is truly awesome and I have no real complaints (could use more buttons, and the middle click is harder to push than I like, making some of my inputs clumsy) but tracking is top notch. As opposed to the Imperator, tracking on which sucked hardcore. Didn't vote since you didn't list the mouse I'd recommend.

The G9X is awesome but expensive. I think that it's too expensive for casual gaming.
I play a lot of video games and the G9X fits my mousing style perfectly.

ordered a g500 from newegg. $15 MIR sealed the deal.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I hemmed and hawed, went to bestbuy to try them on, and the g500 won. They had a g5 for $45, but I wanted the new scroll wheel (have it on a vx nano) and the extra button on the side is nice too.

The MX518 has prediction.

G500 or Deathadder.

I would base my decision on the comfort/feel of the two. Any best buy should have both on display for you to put your hand on. A lot of people including myself can't stand the "ledge" on the right side of the g500 that sticks out perpendicular to the way you naturally want to lay your finger along the side of the mouse. Only way to tell if you're one of those people is to try it at the store.

I voted for the DA but like you said the 1800dpi version. I haven't been hearing good things about the new DA. I have never owned an MX518 but I have heard nothing but good things. I would go with an Optical mouse since I haven't had good experiences with laser mice.

Have you used one? They work out just fine for me. Granted I do have big hands :D

So, do I and the sidewinder is heavy and tracks like ass. It's one of the laser mice that I was referring to actually.

I've liked the laser on the mx1000, and the g500 has the same sensor as the g9x, which most people seem to like. 1800dpi DA was on the short list, but hard to find. Here's hoping the g500 works well, should be here in a couple days.

Thanks again to all who helped me choose. I did end up with the mouse with the most votes, the g500!

I just got the mouse today, and played an hour or two of BC2 with it, here are initial impressions:

Feels very solid in my hand. People complained about the weights rattling, but i don't feel it at all. I also read that the mouse is weighted unevenly and that affects play. The weights are toward the back, but it doesn't bother me and I don't notice it while playing. I think most of the complaints people have about it are going to come down to one thing, the placement of the laser. The pictures below will help illustrate. The laser is placed toward the front of the mouse, where most other mice are in the middle. This forces you to adjust how you move or how much you move the mouse.

It was a little hard at first, but I adjusted within 30 minutes. I did play with sensitivity a bit, and ended up on a slightly lower speed than my logitech scroll wheel mouse, but that could also be the difference between optical and laser, not just sensor placement.

The buttons all feel very nice. The side buttons are easy to distinguish between, and sit where my thumb is. The top buttons have a nice tactile feel to them. The dpi buttons are nice for the rare occasion that I pick up a sniper rifle. That only happened once, but i was definitely a better shot with the lower sensitivity, so I like that feature a lot, even though I won't use it a lot.

The scroll wheel is also very nice. It is slightly narrower than the wheel on my vx nano, so it ends up being more like the mx1000 width, but with the grippy middle and the ability to change between scroll and fly. I like the extra button to change, because now I have a middle click that doesn't affect the wheel scroll. The "clicks" of the wheel are balanced nicely, and it made switching weapons a little less murky.

The sensor, from what I can tell, works fine. It is more accurate than the mx1000 due to the wire, and it never skipped or jumped. It tracks just as well as the opitcal sensor in my logi scroll wheel mouse, and I honestly couldn't tell a different in this regard. I do have a ratpadz xt for anyone concerned with compatibility between the two.

The sides of the mouse are a new material to me. They are more rough, and more grippy. Feels different at first, but it isn't too rough or anything of that nature.

My final grades:

Looks: B
Construction: A
Functionality: A
Price: B
Overall Value: A-

Here are some pictures of all the mice I own in case anyone care ;)
Left to Right: VX Nano, Apple Magic Mouse, g500, Logitech Scroll Wheel, MX1000

i've had the 510, 518, 1000, g5, vx nano, razer diamondback, deathadder and now the mamba. stick with logitech. razer has become instable as of late

A lot of people including myself can't stand the "ledge" on the right side of the g500 that sticks out perpendicular to the way you naturally want to lay your finger along the side of the mouse.

So that's why I don't really like the MX518 but am all right with the G500 (but prefer other mice). I tried them both briefly at BB and noticed the G500 being far more comfortable for my fingertip grip. I understand both mice are not designed for fingertipping though.

So that's why I don't really like the MX518 but am all right with the G500 (but prefer other mice). I tried them both briefly at BB and noticed the G500 being far more comfortable for my fingertip grip. I understand both mice are not designed for fingertipping though.

I recently got a G500 and I also noticed that ledge. I was just realizing how I think they expect the users to hold it. If you place you palm on the top of the mouse with the pad of your thumb at the side thumb buttons, then your little finger goes along the right side of your mouse and your ring finger goes on top of the ledge. Your index and middle fingers of course go on the main buttons. With this method, you grip the sides of the mouse with just the thumb and the little finger. This is a bit different that I'm used to, but I think I like it better. My index and middle fingers rest more naturally on the main buttons now.

using the mamba with a large cloth razer mousepad. NEED to get a teflony mousepad. my razer lycosa and mamba both act quirky at times, though. kb aside, the mamba will lose control of the y axis if any kind of anything gets in the optic.

suggestion for the mamba; set 3 stages for the mamba, in reverse order. i use 5600, 1200 and 600. pressing down decreases the dpi, increasing my range of movement. makes it feel more natural, like zooming our and in. also, 600 and 1200 are around ideal dpis for most games that i can't set the sensitivity low enough in. (for me)

Logitech Scroll Wheel

That was my first Logitech mouse and introductary into the Logitech brand. :)

Ya I'm late to the poll but I gotta put in props for my favorite mouse since some of you are bad mouthing it. ;)

I use the Razer Imperator with Razer Destructor Pad and they work flawlessly together.

I like it a lot more than my old Deathadder and fits very well with my finger tip (sometimes referred as claw) gaming style. Those Logitech palm style mice are a fail for me, to big. I owned the Logitech G9 but the feet wore out way to fast for what it cost me. I was highly disappointed.

Back