Pick me the best monitor I can get for <350 dollars!

johnnyrebel87

Limp Gawd
I want a new monitor for gaming, I am finishing up my build next week, and only have my old 17" crt. I can buy the monitor next week. I want to hear some exact models that I can buy, that are under 350 dollars. 350 is my absolute maximum, even if it has MIR's with it. I know nothing about monitors, but have learned alot by reading in here. Well the monitor has to be no smaller than 22", but I want a 24" and I want to buy from somewhere with a great warranty. Thanks guys! I don't know what specs I need, I just want the best picture and least input lag that I can. HD tuner is not required for this monitor. I'm looking for links to exact monitors, so I can buy it no later than next thursday. I appreciate it:) First post :DBTW, I'm glad I found this place!

for those who don't like reading long-winded stories:

What's the absolute best gaming monitor for my budget
1. Best picture quality
2. Great warranty, can return if I have any dead pixels
3. Great for gaming/movie watching
4. 24" at least, but will consider a nice 22"
5. No greater than 350 dollars, but will spend every penny of my 350 budget

and I don't know if it matters, but I have the sapphire toxic 1gb oc'd ati 4870 and a phenom II 940

I want a new monitor for gaming, I am finishing up my build next week, and only have my old 17" crt. I can buy the monitor next week. I want to hear some exact models that I can buy, that are under 350 dollars. 350 is my absolute maximum, even if it has MIR's with it. I know nothing about monitors, but have learned alot by reading in here. Well the monitor has to be no smaller than 22", but I want a 24" and I want to buy from somewhere with a great warranty. Thanks guys! I don't know what specs I need, I just want the best picture and least input lag that I can. HD tuner is not required for this monitor. I'm looking for links to exact monitors, so I can buy it no later than next thursday. I appreciate it:) First post :DBTW, I'm glad I found this place!

for those who don't like reading long-winded stories:

1. Best picture quality

and I don't know if it matters, but I have the sapphire toxic 1gb oc'd ati 4870 and a phenom II 940

some preferences? are you more sensitive to color or lag? viewing angle an issue?

HannsG HG-281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor $329.99 @ Costco

HannsG HG-281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor $329.99 @ Costco

this looks like a cheaper version on my hannspree, which I love. no lag, so so colors but awesome screen size and 3ms response time.

I think they have 2 differnet models HG-281DPB and HF-289HJB

I want a new monitor for gaming, What's the absolute best gaming monitor for my budget
1. Best picture quality

Hi and welcome to the forum.

1. BenQ G2400WD or V2400W ~ $340 shipped with ZDP guarantee http://www.ncixus.com/products/31200/G2400WD/BENQ/

2. Dell 2209WA -- 22" eIPS panel ~ < $250 if you get the deal with Marcus (or Dell live business chat). See thread here in hardforum about the monitor.

3. Asus VW266H -- 26" TN ~ $320 shipped via Newegg (but their 8 dead pixel policy sucks a$$) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047&Tpk=asus vw266h

some preferences? are you more sensitive to color or lag? viewing angle an issue?

I'm not really sure:( Ive never played on anything other than crt's. I want bright color, viewing angle doesn't bother me at all as long as I have a couple inches there, but I don't want alot of lag for when I'm playing online.

I really like that benQ. I have never heard of that brand before tho. That looks like a top choice for me! Would my toxic 1gb 4870 be enough for gaming maxed out on a 24" screen? On all the valve games and far cry 2. I'm worried about that, because I have never played on anything bigger than my old 17"

I really like that benQ. I have never heard of that brand before tho. That looks like a top choice for me! Would my toxic 1gb 4870 be enough for gaming maxed out on a 24" screen? On all the valve games and far cry 2. I'm worried about that, because I have never played on anything bigger than my old 17"
Definitely. I don't own FC2 but to give you an example, with my aging card that would likely get owned hard by a 4850, I still play L4D @ 1920 x 1200 with 4xAA/4xAF and everything else maxed and it's butter smooth. Similar story with C&C3 -- maxed out @ 19x12 is fine. I can play COD4 @ 1920 x 1200 with 2xAA/max everything and get mid 50s avg FPS but it bogs a bit into the 30s on maps like Overgrown. So for COD4 I'll run 1680 x 1050 maxed out & upscaled via NV control panel and it looks and runs great on the BenQ. Of course, I'm not expecting to have the same luck with World in Conflict or Crysis, both of which I own but haven't played since I got my LCD 5 wks ago.

So...you should have no issues with your new CPU + the 4870

Definitely. I don't own FC2 but to give you an example, with my aging card that would likely get owned hard by a 4850, I still play L4D @ 1920 x 1200 with 4xAA/4xAF and everything else maxed and it's butter smooth. Similar story with C&C3 -- maxed out @ 19x12 is fine. I can play COD4 @ 1920 x 1200 with 2xAA/max everything and get mid 50s avg FPS but it bogs a bit into the 30s on maps like Overgrown. So for COD4 I'll run 1680 x 1050 maxed out & upscaled via NV control panel and it looks and runs great on the BenQ. Of course, I'm not expecting to have the same luck with World in Conflict or Crysis, both of which I own but haven't played since I got my LCD 5 wks ago.

So...you should have no issues with your new CPU + the 4870

Thanks! That's really encouraging to hear!

is it an IPS panel? How's the quality for someone who has an eye for it?

That is a TN panel. The giveaways (since newegg doesn't list panel type and I'm too lazy to google it) are the limited viewing angle and very very low response time.

The IPS panels will give you 178 deg viewing angles and are around 5ms, not 170/160 deg and 2ms like the one at that newegg link.

I just bought my wife that nifty $600 HP 24" ips panel, and after seeing it I think that if I was buying another panel today, I'd have to go with the dell 22" IPS mentioned by others here and in other forum threads. List price is $299 but it sounds like if you actually talk or chat to a Dell salesperson you might get a better deal without having to hunt for dell coupon codes.

My main monitor now is a Dell 19" ultrasharp (1905 if I recall correctly) and it's nice, but it's certainly not a gaming monitor. It's a PVA panel I think, and it leaves red streaks behind any small moving objects on the screen when gaming. The newer IPS panels shouldn't do that and for under $300 the Dell IPS ought to be fine for gaming, watching movies, image editing, etc.

There are lots of drawbacks to each panel type, but the one thing I have decided after owning one TN panel is that the gaming benefits to TN panels are for me not worth the other drawbacks. Hardcore gamers swear by their TN panels, but my TN panel is relegated to secondary monitor duty and I prefer gaming on my Dell even with the smearing because the inherent drawbacks of the TN panel simply irritate me more than a little image smearing.

Would it not slow my FPS down worse going even bigger to that 25.5?

no. the factor is not the screen size but the number of dots. the 24, 25, 26, and most of the 28" monitors are 1920 by 1200/1080, or 2.3/2.1mp respectively. a 4870 1gb will do fine for most games at this resolution. (by fine I mean high settings with AA)

so far from the suggestions I like the 28" hans G and the asus. JM2C

Hi and welcome to the forum.

1. BenQ G2400WD or V2400W ~ $340 shipped with ZDP guarantee http://www.ncixus.com/products/31200/G2400WD/BENQ/

Got mine from there when it was on sale, 325 shipped with insurance and ZDP guarantee. Needed to ZDP exchange once, no problems. Second monitor was perfect, first was minor dead sub pixel (yes I was being picky).

Use with a 100 dollar 4830. Runs games fine full res with varying levels of AA.

just ordered this via mail in check:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047
with a 20 dollar off code, so it's 329.99 and got a addtional 30 off in a rebate. I'm sure it will be a drastic difference between that and the 17" crt I have! Hope it doesn't disappoint!
Congrats Johnny. If it wasn't going to be the BenQ, then it might as well have been this Asus. Hope you get a good one!

And FYI, I too came from a 17" IIYama CRT that I used for over 10 yrs. Let me tell you, I was shocked at first with how big my 24" LCD was by comparison, especially while gaming. That lasted about 3 days...you'll love it. Make sure you come back and let us know what you think after you get it, and/or visit the thread here on the VK266H (same monitor only with a webcam) if you need any color profile settings.

1. Best picture quality

I thought newegg's policy for dead pixels was bad? or am I mistaken?

Congrats Johnny. If it wasn't going to be the BenQ, then it might as well have been this Asus. Hope you get a good one!

And FYI, I too came from a 17" IIYama CRT that I used for over 10 yrs. Let me tell you, I was shocked at first with how big my 24" LCD was by comparison, especially while gaming. That lasted about 3 days...you'll love it. Make sure you come back and let us know what you think after you get it, and/or visit the thread here on the VK266H (same monitor only with a webcam) if you need any color profile settings.

Thanks! I'll be sure to post when I get it.

btw, yall can call me Ian:)

as for wanting to be able to return for any reason your gonna hve to buy it in a brick and mortor store.. good luck on the pricing.

Actually, TigerDirect will exchange or give you credit towards another monitor. Doing that with my Viewsonic VX2262wm tomorrow and they're paying for the shipping both ways. Came with three stuck sub-pixels.

Anyways the best monitor you're going to find (non TN) for less than $350 new is the Dell 2009WFP. 22" with 6ms response and an IPS panel to boot for $299.

Anyways the best monitor you're going to find (non TN) for less than $350 new is the Dell 2009WFP. 22" with 6ms response and an IPS panel to boot for $299.

I think you mean the 2209WA...

He already ordered the Asus, but yes the Dell was mentioned.

Back