PI notifys comcast when slow

Ugh.

It’s common knowledge that ISPs rarely deliver the internet speeds consumers are paying them for

tard.gif

I hate unsubstantiated bullshit rumors/myths that get passed around and taken as fact. In the 18 years that I have had high speed internet, it has never once failed to reach the advertised speeds. I never changed ISPs that whole time, but due to mergers, buyouts, etc, the company has changed out from underneath me a number of times. TCI@Home, AT&T@Home, ATTBI, ATT Broadband, and finally Comcast.

At all of the houses that I've gone to for computer repair jobs, pretty much the only times I've seen speed issues is with DSL when it's pushing the range limit. In Northern California at least, Comcast is VERY reliable, and also almost always offers the highest speeds in a particular area.

The saddest part of this twitter notification bullshit is that 90% of the people who are going to use it are probably experiencing slowdowns due to something on their end, or simple user error. But why admit that you made a mistake when you can jump on the bash Comcast fail train instead?

I'm not really sure why this is in the Operating Systems section.

Here's the problem with this (I'm not defending Comcast, I dislike them as much as the next guy) but you can run SpeedTest all day long and if the server you are testing is slow your test is going to be slow.

I used to do Speed Test from an ISP that I knew got it's Internet connection from the ISP I was on and the test were always much faster than other sites. You can easily be fooled by the results.

I'd filter out that bot due to spam. Yes, we get it. Comcast has issues. Tweeting every time they are slow due to any number of things (even remote network issues not related to Comcast) would just get you on the ignore list.

oh yeah. I am sure running that speed test every few minutes is going to do great things to your bandwidth cap. whenever my service is slow, rebooting all parts in my network solves the problem

Back