PI Calculation and Q9300.

swanysto

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I have a Q9300 @ 2.7ghz(for now). I was just wondering if 19 seconds is about right for the 1M time? A while back I had seen some scores of 14 seconds IIRC. I don't plan on going past 3ghz cause for now I only have 800 ram.

Just wondering, thanks.
J

The numbers will vary widely depending on the specific system setup, even if the components are within the same generation.

19s doesn't sound completely out of the ordinary for 1M superpi time for your chip and clock.

The numbers will vary widely depending on the specific system setup, even if the components are within the same generation.

19s doesn't sound completely out of the ordinary for 1M superpi time for your chip and clock.

But it does sound slow right?

SuperPi doesn't really indicate real world performance. Like just because someone's system runs 14s 1M SuperPi doesn't mean their system is 26.32% faster than yours. It does correlate somewhat with performance, but it's not a very strong gauge.

I wouldn't worry too much about SuperPi times unless you like benching..which at that point I'd have to ask why you're merely running 2.7 =P

Sounds about right. I hit about 12s on my chip at 3.8GHz, so 19s for yours at 2.7GHz seems like it would make sense.

Even with only DDR2-800, you should be able to reach a 450+ fsb fairly easily. I would think at least 3.4Ghz is possible with your current RAM.

Don't be afraid to overclock the RAM as well.

19+ seconds for 1M sounds about right at 2700 MHz. Extra cores don't help out SuperPI times very much since SuperPI is only a single threaded bench.

superpi2700mhzpi1.png

Now it's time to bump up the MHz to get those times down to a reasonable number. :)

It went down to 17s when I OC'ed to 3ghz. I don't really think my ram is very good at OC'ing. I might try higher, but these things run at 2.2V stock. Oh, and I also worry about my temps. This chip idles stock @ 41c, during games it gets to 46-47. At 3ghz it idles around 48-50 and during games gets to 51-53. I know that is like 40c below the threshold, but I get uncomfortable when I have a chip idling near or over 50.

Idle is not what you should worry about, its load temps, you should DL Intel Burn Test or Prime95 and see what your load temps are.

Idle is not what you should worry about, its load temps, you should DL Intel Burn Test or Prime95 and see what your load temps are.

To be honest, I don't think I need to use these. I don't really even stress my CPU except for video games. When I check my temp logs after I play, the temps never go over 53. So for me, my load temps are 50-53c. I have also gamed for a couple hours at a time to test it. Still never reaches 54.

Neither will most of the people who use the progs, myself included, that's the whole point, seeing what the "worst case scenario" is. And finding that little bit of instability left in a system, because the best chances are if there is any, it will show it's self when you are right in the middle of something important, 100 layer photoshop image, unsaved multi page text document etc.

But hey, it's your OC and your components.

Back