PhysX

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Does anyone know if a GTX 460/470 video card is good for PhysX or is it better to just use the CPU itself for this role? The main card is the GTX 980. Was thinking of using either card such.

Thanks...

That would probably be ok but I'd consider it to be a minimum. You don't need a super fast card to run PhysX but if it's too slow it can actually hurt your frame rates. For a 980 I'd want something like a 560Ti or maybe a 570 ideally.

Now is it worth it? That's debatable. There is some cool eye candy to be had but a 980 is enough horsepower to handle any game out there along with PhysX.

What resolution and game are you planning on running? Most of the current PhysX games are not that demanding by themselves (with the possible exception of Metro:LL with SSAA) and so you may not benefit much in practice with a dedicated card.

You will however require GPU accelerated PhysX if you enable those actual features. The current implementation of PhysX with those features on cannot be handled by the CPU.

Future games may start implementing PhysX 3.0 however and the performance characteristics will likely be different. PhysX 3.0 supposedly had large rewrites for optimization especailly when running on the CPU.

Does anyone know if a GTX 460/470 video card is good for PhysX or is it better to just use the CPU itself for this role? The main card is the GTX 980. Was thinking of using either card such.

Thanks...

Did you have either card on hand?

If you are going to buy one of them them, shell out a bit more for a 750ti if you really NEED a physx card.

Did you have either card on hand?

If you are going to buy one of them them, shell out a bit more for a 750ti if you really NEED a physx card.

Yeap, I have both on hands. They are laying around unused, but was just doubting if it's worth the problem of setting them up, that's all.

Back