Physx with a AMD card as the primary?

dogbyte_13

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded to a Radeon 7770 and now i have a nvidia 550 ti sitting around, can i use this to process physx effects?

Only if you use hacked or certain beta drivers.

Google is your friend here.

I upgraded to a Radeon 7770 and now i have a nvidia 550 ti sitting around, can i use this to process physx effects?

Along time ago you could have an AMD card primary with a secondary Nvidia card doing physx just fine. But Nvidia disabled that. There are "hacks" that can enable this. But I don't know if those "hacks" are considered illegal. There was a reason why they disabled it. Could have been legal reasons or incompatability.

their official reason was they didn't want to get stuck supporting a problem with someone else video card.
Of course they could have just said this is not supported sorry, but that would help the competition.

Uh no... it's because, Nvidia wants you to buy their products to run Physx as it's their specialty. They expect you to pay more for that feature. I was running Hybrid Physx for the last few years (using an old 8800GTS640 before my current nvidia setup GTX670 FTW.

Try it out if you wish to do so, you don't need an overly expensive card to run physx. There are specific cards that you can use which aren't expensive. It does help with eye candy you just can't get with AMD products and it does work. There are some some pitfalls just like overclocking. Overall though, I thought it was quite adequate for the games I was playing, more specifically, Batman AA and Batman AC, Alice and Mirror's edge. Only downfall is, you may not get the smoothest play out of it unless you are running something more current. And yes, it can bog when you are pushing a games at 2560x1600.

Along time ago you could have an AMD card primary with a secondary Nvidia card doing physx just fine. But Nvidia disabled that. There are "hacks" that can enable this. But I don't know if those "hacks" are considered illegal. There was a reason why they disabled it. Could have been legal reasons or incompatability.

I had been using an hybrid setup for over 2 years and I have to say that it works like a champ. The issue is that you don't need anything more powerful than a GTX 550Ti as a PhysX card, it has been proven that the gains are minimal while the power consumption and heat dissipation goes higher. Most issues can be fixed by deleting the PhysXDevice.dll and PhysXupdateloaders from the game folder. Mirror's Edge won't use the GPU acceleration without deleting those folder. Batman AC worked like a champ deleting the PhysXDevice.dll alone. Some have said that you can even use the latest nVidia drivers but just make sure that you are using only the PhysX Runtime 9.11.0621, anything newer and that acceleration will be broken. But if you want to go safe, just instal the 285.62 drivers. Go to forum or google the PhysX patch V1.05ff and that will enable PhysX acceleration on an hybrid setup. Any questions just ask! :-D

Evolucion8 gave all the information you need. I run a hybrid setup too. Lightning 7970 and hawk 460. They love each other

If you want to get Hybrid PhysX working with the latest drivers/PhysX check out my thread:

http://HardForum.com/showthread.php?t=1713769

You probably only need an additional cheap >=GeForce8 256MB (with any OS other than Vista.)

This is the best way to run PhysX v2 games and PhysX v3 seems to work fine on the CPU. (No actual games that use that are coming out soon/planned yet, though.)

I would probably get a BigKepler (GTX685 coming out in the next couple months?) though, if you don't already have at least a 5870 yet.

Back