PhysX on ATI hardware

FragMagnet

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't tried it yet, but for those that like testing various things, here's the link to the drivers/sdk to run PhysX on ATI. Yes it's in early development, but seems to be targeting a lot of the ATI cards, not just the newest ones. Scroll to the bottom to see available downloads as it currently doesn't work with the normal publicaly released drivers.

http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

Haven't looked the drivers linked, but has ATI decided to licence PhysX from the N team?

I haven't tried it yet, but for those that like testing various things, here's the link to the drivers/sdk to run PhysX on ATI. Yes it's in early development, but seems to be targeting a lot of the ATI cards, not just the newest ones. Scroll to the bottom to see available downloads as it currently doesn't work with the normal publicaly released drivers.

http://developer.amd.com/GPU/ATISTREAMSDKBETAPROGRAM/Pages/default.aspx

Link to page that says it supports "PhysX" ?

lol those drivers have nothing to do with physX they are for ATI streaming and openCL and are developer kit drivers.. neither have anything to do with physX.. physX is proprietary and ATI will be using Havok.. so you will never see physX officially or unofficially supported by ATI on their cards..

I am not seeing any mention of PhysX on that linked website. Am I missing something?

lol those drivers have nothing to do with physX they are for ATI streaming and openCL and are developer kit drivers.. neither have anything to do with physX.. physX is proprietary and ATI will be using Havok.. so you will never see physX officially or unofficially supported by ATI on their cards..

hehe, that was kinda the point I was trying to make without saying it outright.

Physx is just physics being processed on the CPU. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the exact same thing as CPGPU, OpenCL and what have you?

ATI pretty much already has the same thing, it just doesn't have a snazzy name.

well it is just an opencl beta driver, so if developers wanna use opencl as their base for physx(in general not Nvidia PhysX in games) than this driver will accelerate it via gpu, thats all it does, you can call it an opencl driver that will use hardware to accelerate opencl based apps, whatever those apps are.

Someone could reverse engineer the entire CUDA API on Stream or OpenCL and fool the existing Physx API to run on that (a bit like Wine), legal issues aside as long as they have a lot of free time. And by that I mean a few decades without food or sleep...

Someone could reverse engineer the entire CUDA API on Stream or OpenCL and fool the existing Physx API to run on that (a bit like Wine), legal issues aside as long as they have a lot of free time. And by that I mean a few decades without food or sleep...

and a room in which they are locked in with all the supply. lol

Physx is just physics being processed on the CPU. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the exact same thing as CPGPU, OpenCL and what have you?

ATI pretty much already has the same thing, it just doesn't have a snazzy name.

No. PhysX is a physics library. It can execute on either A) The CPU, or B) CUDA. CUDA is limited to Nvidia *ONLY*. CUDA runs on a GPU. Anyone who claims PhysX runs on ATI cards is either batshit insane or doesn't know what they hell they are talking about. OpenCL and CUDA fulfill the same role (GPGPU), but they are *not* interchangeable. You cannot run something compiled against CUDA via OpenCL and vice versa.

There is no need to reverse engineer anything. All you need is to write a wrapper that intercepts the CUDA Physx calls and translate them to OpenCL. There already are wrappers for CUDA to use Fortran, Java, etc. It'll be similar to the Glide wrappers that allowed you to run Glide only games by translating the Glide calls to Direct3D or OpenGL.

yep, sorry guys, epic fail. Was rushing off to work and thought I had found something interesting to pass along.

Back