• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PhysX card. PCI, PCI-E 4X....?

Despotes

Gawd
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
821
I cannot find any info if this card (Asus, BFG) will be PCI-E 4X slot compatible since this is the only slot I have available on my mobo. :rolleyes:

Another Update: Opinion seems to be that it will NOT be PCI-E 4X compatible...for now.

This thread is unnecessary per the other :eek:

Thanks
 
Initially it will be PCI, later will be PCI-E 1X. The 1X slot can fit inside the 4X slot, so it is compatible.

^99.9% sure
 
serbiaNem said:
Initially it will be PCI, later will be PCI-E 1X. The 1X slot can fit inside the 4X slot, so it is compatible.

^99.9% sure

Yeah making it PCIe 4x would be shooting a rocket into their foot, since they realllly dont need the bandwidth and most boards dont have an extra 4x (or 8x/16x) slot.
 
PCIE 4x and 1x ports are usually blocked by dual slot video card coolers on most boards....

I know that's the case for me.
 
The only remaining PCI port I have is blocked by my videocard (SLI). The PCI-E 4X is the only I have available. Again--Thank you Asus. :rolleyes:
 
I got a reply from Ageia support: "PCI at first, PCI-E at a later date"
That was it.
 
According to this Reg Hardware news article, the PCI-E PhysX Accelerator will be announced October 12th and it will be PCI-E x1.


Physics processor chip specialist Ageia is about to launch a PCI Express version of its PhysX card, the company told Reg Hardware today. Considering that Ageia had PCI-E and PCI production samples in March, it's a wonder it has taken them this long to announce product.

Ageia admitted there won't be any performance benefits from the move to PCIe x1 over PCI, and it said that it's not even close to using up the bandwidth that the PCI bus offers. The new cards will be announced on 12 October and should be available shortly thereafter.
 
stelleg151 said:
Yeah making it PCIe 4x would be shooting a rocket into their foot, since they realllly dont need the bandwidth and most boards dont have an extra 4x (or 8x/16x) slot.
Will the rocket jump have lots of gore?
 
Borgschulze said:
Will the rocket jump have lots of gore?
yes, since it is physically correct, it will just rip the arms off at the sockets/ ellbows, while blowing the feet/ legs to bits.
 
drizzt81 said:
yes, since it is physically correct, it will just rip the arms off at the sockets/ ellbows, while blowing the feet/ legs to bits.
That would be awesome, because Rocket Whores in Quake suck.... ruins the fun of the game.

Yes, I like the AWP in Counter-Strike.

I'm not a whiney gamer, but Rocket Whores are stupid.
 
This would be great as I can install this above my video cards.

Despotes said:
The only remaining PCI port I have is blocked by my videocard (SLI). The PCI-E 4X is the only I have available. Again--Thank you Asus. :rolleyes:

At least the layout of the Core 2 Duo boards is far better than that of the AMD compatible boards.
 
Dan_D said:
At least the layout of the Core 2 Duo boards is far better than that of the AMD compatible boards.

What? Thats complete nonsense. The DFI AMD boards easly surpass C2D boards for layout... Even with two dual slot GPU's you still get 2 PCI and one PCI-E 8x (or is it a 4x, I forget).

Actually the C2D boards crappy layouts are one of the primary reasons I haven't switched over yet.
 
J-Mag said:
What? Thats complete nonsense. The DFI AMD boards easly surpass C2D boards for layout... Even with two dual slot GPU's you still get 2 PCI and one PCI-E 8x (or is it a 4x, I forget).

Actually the C2D boards crappy layouts are one of the primary reasons I haven't switched over yet.

Yes the DFI motherboard layouts have been great over the last two or three years. Even so, many of the AMD motherboards, especially from ASUS and other manufacturers have not been the best.

Quite a few of the layout os the Core 2 Duo boards are great. The P5W DH is pretty good, the P5W64-WS Professional is outstanding, and so is the Intel D975XBX.

On my P5W DH, I'll have two open PCI slots, and one open PCIe x1 slot after both X1950XTX's are installed. That's pretty good. If it is true that there is an upcoming PCIe x1 PhysX card, then I can have my two X1950XTX's, my X-FI card, a PhysX card, and a Killer gaming NIC or a SCSI/SATA controller all in the same PC. That's pretty damned good no matter how you slice it.

With Crossfire I have no worries about an SLi bridge, and with the fan on the X1950XTX coolers being so far forward at the end of the card, I can install a PCI card in between the two video cards and it shouldn't affect airflow or cooling at all.

EDIT: I just looked at several DFI nForce 4 and nForce 500 series SLi compatible boards and I have found that two PCI slots and one PCIe x1 or x4 slot is all you'd have left over if you threw in two dual slot video cards. Therefore, several of the Core 2 Duo boards will work just as well in terms of layout.
 
Dan_D said:
Yes the DFI motherboard layouts have been great over the last two or three years. Even so, many of the AMD motherboards, especially from ASUS and other manufacturers have not been the best.

Quite a few of the layout os the Core 2 Duo boards are great. The P5W DH is pretty good, the P5W64-WS Professional is outstanding, and so is the Intel D975XBX.

I like the P5W64-WS, P5W DH layouts too, but I know I will be going dual G80, and that's just not a possibility on any current C2D board (nf4 is not an option IMO).

I cant wait for the DFI C2D boards hit the streets...
 
J-Mag said:
I like the P5W64-WS, P5W DH layouts too, but I know I will be going dual G80, and that's just not a possibility on any current C2D board (nf4 is not an option IMO).

I cant wait for the DFI C2D boards hit the streets...

Well there just aren't any decent overclockable SLi options out there for Core 2 Duo right now. The 570SLi and 590SLi chipsets are so far less than impressive, and DFI can't change that.

The rumored 650 and 680 chipsets are a lttle ways off from being available to the end user in the form of a finished motherboard. (If the Tech Daily article is even accurate.)
 
Dan_D said:
The rumored 650 and 680 chipsets are a lttle ways off from being available to the end user in the form of a finished motherboard. (If the Tech Daily article is even accurate.)

I wonder if they will be ready by G80 time...
 
J-Mag said:
I wonder if they will be ready by G80 time...

Hopefully. Though I have no idea if they will have near the overclockability of the Intel chipsets, and even if they do, their getting too hot to be passively cooled anymore. Since the C55 chip is essentially a slightly fixed C19, I doubt that it will run any cooler.
 
Dan_D said:
Hopefully. Though I have no idea if they will have near the overclockability of the Intel chipsets, and even if they do, their getting too hot to be passively cooled anymore. Since the C55 chip is essentially a slightly fixed C19, I doubt that it will run any cooler.

Well according to this:
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4096

510mhz is plenty in my eyes. I could care less about chipset HSF, because you can always replace them...
 
J-Mag said:
Well according to this:
http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4096

510mhz is plenty in my eyes. I could care less about chipset HSF, because you can always replace them...

If that's true. That's the only report I've seen on that. There are also no offical sources quoted in that either. I'd hardly count that as factual. Interesting yes, something to be hopeful of, yes.

RD600 wouldn't surprise me if it could hit those speeds. The entire Xpress series have all been great overclockers in the past, and run extremely cool. C55 hitting 510FSB would be more shocking to me, but it would be nice. Finally SLi users would have something equal to the Intel chipsets to use.
 
Back
Top