PhysX card compatibility

Didn't think ATi supported Phsyx? Heard if some mod drivers but that was it.

Using a HD 4870 as the main graphics card, can I use a nVidia in my
second Crossfire slot or do I need to get an ageia card on ebay?

Well, it's not a crossfire slot, it's a PCI express lane, and if you're using windows 7 or XP, then yes, you could add an nVidia 8/9000 series or a gtx200 series card as a secondary physx card.

If you're using Vista, then you need an Ageia dedicated PhysX card.

Your motherboard supports Crossfire only but the slot is not a Crossfire or SLI slot it's a PCI Express slot.

You can put any PCI Express add on card into a PCI Express x16 slot.

As for Multi GPU technology, your motherboard will only support Crossfire.

I use Tri-fire with an nVIDIA card for PhysX under Windows 7.

The GTX200 is a faster card, so it will process PhysX more powerfully than an 8800 series, but in my opinion, the difference between the two is not worth the price difference.

And I'm unsure what you mean by minimum requirements?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

ok, understood now.

Which will give better fps in games, a GTX 200 series card or an ATI 4870 with
some 8 series card? Also, what is the minimum requirements for the 8 series
card being used as the physX gpu?

An 8800 anything is as low as you want to go. A GT200-based GPU will have even better performance, but if you're going to run PhysX and the graphics on it, you'd need a fairly powerful (GTX280) card to see the same or better performance as with a dedicated 8800-series card, depending on the resolution you play at.

ok, understood now.

Which will give better fps in games, a GTX 200 series card or an ATI 4870 with
some 8 series card? Also, what is the minimum requirements for the 8 series
card being used as the physX gpu?

ATi 4870 with some 8 series card (8800GT or higher) or 9 series card (9600GSO or higher).

Does Win 7 allow you to have multiple display drivers installed and running then like XP used to allow. Thus allowing both ATI and Nvidia cards in the system at one time?

Does Win 7 allow you to have multiple display drivers installed and running then like XP used to allow. Thus allowing both ATI and Nvidia cards in the system at one time?

Yes. But you have to trick the OS with the "short trick" to make it believe a monitor is attached or it will turn off that vid card to save power.

The easiest way is to boot the PC with the PhysX card (nVIDIA card) in the main PCI Express slot and your other cards in the other PCI Express slots (ATi cards).

Then install all the Graphics drivers within Windows 7 and once that is done assign your ATi cards as being the main display under: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution

Tada it is done. You now have ATi rendering with nVIDIA PhysX.

Another way that is much easier is if you have an ATi Crossfire setup (so 3 or more total cards including the nVIDIA card).

This way you don't need to have the nVIDIA card in the main PCIe slot. When in windows and all the drivers are installed you just need to disable then enable Crossfire and the nVIDIA card will automatically become card number 1 in the display settings.

Tada you now have ATi CrossfireX rendering and nVIDIA PhysX.

Crossfire_Physx.jpg

Back