Physics Threesome - Two Atoms One Photon

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I will take "Check out the big brain on Brett!" for $200 Alex! On a serious note, some smart guys at the University of Messina in Italy think they have figured out a new way to make a quantum switch.

A two-atom, one-photon system could be used as a switch to transmit information in a quantum circuit, Savasta says. One atom would act as a qubit, encoding information as a superposition of the ground and excited states. To transmit the information outside of the cavity, the qubit would need to transfer the information to a photon in the cavity. The second atom would be used to control whether the qubit transmits the information. If the second atom's transition frequency is tuned to half the resonance frequency of the cavity, the two atoms could jointly absorb and emit a single photon, which would contain the encoded information to be transmitted. To ensure that the atoms do not re-adsorb the photon, the atom's resonant frequency can be changed by applying an external magnetic field.

Last edited:
In other words a phd punched a wall in excitement over nothing.

This wasn't even tested yet. How can they trust a simulation as evidence of a yet unobserved phenomenon?

This wasn't even tested yet. How can they trust a simulation as evidence of a yet unobserved phenomenon?

CERN applies the same concept before firing up the LHC so they know what they're looking for

I don't know how it is in other fields, but this is especially true in chemistry/bio fields. There are always these "amazing" discoveries, but if you actually read the papers you notice that they aren't very useful due to cost/scalability.

CERN applies the same concept before firing up the LHC so they know what they're looking for
That's perfectly reasonable. But they should hold off with the big announcements until after they have tested the hypothesis.

I don't know how it is in other fields, but this is especially true in chemistry/bio fields. There are always these "amazing" discoveries, but if you actually read the papers you notice that they aren't very useful due to cost/scalability.
That's not a problem. I mean they could find useful application for the thing later, or it could become the basis of a more significant discovery. But this time they didn't even bother to verify their idea before going trumpeting about it.

Thats some cool science.

Fun fact: The quote used in the link has the wrong name. The pulp fiction script lists his name as Brett. I had this huge argument with my dad about it once lol.

Thats some cool science.

Fun fact: The quote used in the link has the wrong name. The pulp fiction script lists his name as Brett. I had this huge argument with my dad about it once lol.
Hehe, I never realized that. Quote is just wrong on my end, but it got across. "Check out the big brain on Brett!"

And fixed.

Back