Physics Community Afire With Rumors of Higgs Boson Discovery

No. There was some gossip in December that the desire range of what everyone thought the Higgs would fall into (in atomic mass and in this case at the 125 GeV) but at the time it was considered to be unlikely to be the Higgs because it was slightly heavier. Now after repeated testing (LHC runs hundreds of millions of times per day) they are finding that the Higgs may in fact be slightly heavier than previously thought. Now if they can keep detecting it and knocking out other variables at the same time than the sigma status will be upgraded and the likelihood of it not being the Higgs will be nearly inconsequential.

At that point the data will be published in a study and the announcement will be made. Many people think that finding the Higgs is a mere PR push for CERN because they had to justify the cost by basically claiming that the LHC would have enough power to find it. But in reality understanding how anything is given mass will lead to new branches of physics and a major leap forward in our understanding of the development of possibly Dark Matter which is virtually invisible to us in this Universe but obviously contains about 80 percent of the mass inside our Universe locked inside its secrets.
Waves make more sense than dark matter.

For the very few of us gifted enough to even understand it , it's still quite complex.

OMG... Can't stop laughing at the bullshit level in that quote. One question though...was it Higgs or Boson that 'gifted' you this superhuman ability?

This would be bad for a 180 pound human being since the average human being has enough potential mass if converted into pure energy to equal over 20 Hydrogen bombs.

Hmmm, makes me wonder if our DoD has been following the progress of these experiments closely, then. Would explain why our government is so lackadaisical in moving illegal immigrants back outside our borders... they already have plans for them in case WWIII errupts!

OMG... Can't stop laughing at the bullshit level in that quote. One question though...was it Higgs or Boson that 'gifted' you this superhuman ability?

US as in human being's. I'm nowhere near on the level to understand that.

This still remind me of all the taxpayer money wasted on 'cold fusion, research.

Even if the higgs is found and i think that would be a great thing, but this is clearly not the end of putting the particle zoo together. Not even close.

Ya, this is only a tiny piece of the puzzle. Even so, this may not even mean much according to the article:

Of course, Gibbs reminds us that the rumors come with some caveats, such as the fact that they are vague and not completely reliable. Scientists outside the experiment also don’t yet know how much data has been analyzed from this year, meaning that the rumored results could disappear with further scrutiny.

Back