Physics chip

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
Popular science has an article about the physics chip and how it "will do for game physics what video cards did for graphics".
has any one seen or heard any more about this?
says that BFG is working on these.

I am inclined to believe that this will be more revolutionary (for gaming) than either the CELL or the 360 CPU. I am expecting big things from this; maybe not AGEIA's specifically, but Physics Processors in General...

All we need now is an AIPU (artificial intelligence processing unit - I just patented this, so don't even try and steal the idea) and we'll be set.

peace,
OriginalOCer

These chips are definately gonna be the next big thing in gaming. I saw a working Phys-x card (yes, it was called that) on AOTS and it made a HUGE difference in game performance. I'm getting one the day they hit the market.

your right, that will be a must buy!

i guess they might make them 1xPCIe so that it fits inbetween the SLI configuration :D

I don't understand why we've already got dedicated physics chips when multiple cores on dual core systems aren't even being fully used during gaming. why not have the developers code the games to take advantage of the second core instead of forcing people to make a $250-300 upgrade that seems too much like a marketing ploy. $250-300 will net you a decent graphics card, or a dual core proc.

Obviously we'll all have to wait until games that support the ppu arrive, but so far those demos have only served as marketing, and certainly haven't impressed me.

OriginalOCer said:
I am inclined to believe that this will be more revolutionary (for gaming) than either the CELL or the 360 CPU. I am expecting big things from this; maybe not AGEIA's specifically, but Physics Processors in General...

All we need now is an AIPU (artificial intelligence processing unit - I just patented this, so don't even try and steal the idea) and we'll be set.

peace,
OriginalOCer

;) I definitely like your idea.

-J.

quadnad said:
I don't understand why we've already got dedicated physics chips when multiple cores on dual core systems aren't even being fully used during gaming. why not have the developers code the games to take advantage of the second core instead of forcing people to make a $250-300 upgrade that seems too much like a marketing ploy. $250-300 will net you a decent graphics card, or a dual core proc.

Obviously we'll all have to wait until games that support the ppu arrive, but so far those demos have only served as marketing, and certainly haven't impressed me.

I wholeheartedly agree. Something's amiss when we find ourselves compelled to buy a product that we don't even have a need for. This seems to be a ploy to net people like many of you, who only want the best. And don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it won't help. I'm just saying it will help in ways most people don't need.

From what I've read in an article in CPU magazine is that these processors have a LONG way to go for any real-time gaming. Here's a quote from the article;

"To get an idea of the computational demads, consider that processing each complex collision between two bodies requires on the order of 1 million operations. In a physics system processing 100 colliding paris at 60fps, this amounts to 6 billion operations aeach second. To put this in perspective, Congress can take a full 20 minutes to spend $6 billion.

This only gets worse as the number of objects is in this virtual world is scaled upward. Given the phenomenal perceptual capacity of human sensory facilities, a convincing real-time world must include tens of thousands of dynamic objects, including smoke, clothing, water, mushroom clouds, and so on. Now you're talking mind-boggling complexity."

Back