NoOther
Supreme [H]ardness
- Joined
- May 14, 2008
- Messages
- 6,468
Actually, the math is incorrect. =P
186 Gbit/s divided by 8 bits per byte = 23.25 GBytes/s![]()
The math is indeed correct and I had written out an explanation before why I did it that way and decided to drop it, but seeing as you want to keep correcting me. Here is your explanation:
Again, it fully depends on your methodology. Anytime I see bytes being used, it is usually with binary prefixes (multiples of 1024) instead of metric (multiples of 1000), whereas when bits are used it is usually with straight metric system calculations. I see this even when dealing with communications which is weird. In fact even in my advanced networking technologies courses the professors would accept either method as long as you explained how you did it. Even though the binary prefix is MiB or GiB, it is commonly written as MB or GB still, even in textbooks.
So if you have a metric calculation with bits that is 1Gb, that is 186,000,000,000 bits. Whereas when I see it specified in GB it usually applies the prefix meaning 1,073,741,824 bytes. There are tons of calculators out there that do this such as:
http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php
and if you put in 186000000000 bits, it comes out as 186 Gb and 21.6 GB.