Physicists Call for Soccer-Field-Sized Quantum Computer

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This should probably be filed in the folder of things that are never going to happen, but I guess the scale that quantum computer engineers are thinking in is interesting. In order to crack “unsolvable problems,” physicists claim you need a system the size of a sports stadium costing over $100 million dollars. Figuring out how to build a computer that large already seems like an unsolvable problem in itself, so this is quite the conundrum, isn’t it?

In Hensinger’s blueprint, thousands of hand-sized square modules would be yoked together to produce — in theory — a quantum computer of any size. Key to the design is how to overcome practical problems, such as how to dissipate the heat produced by the machine. “Such high-level issues are rarely considered by people in the field of quantum computing, either because they think it’s goofy to think that big, or because in their own physical system, it is nearly impossible to fathom such a high-level view,” Monroe says. In each module, around 2,500 trapped-ion qubits would be suspended in magnetic fields, protected from interference that would affect their delicate quantum states. To perform operations, ions interact with their neighbours by shuttling about an x-shaped grid, similarly to PacMan characters.

I remember my parents telling me about hard drives the size of a phone booth.
I thought computers were getting smaller, now they want to go bigger again?

How exactly are their claimed requirements so incredible you file them under 'never going to happen'? Have you seen any of the intense shit we do?

Yeah, if they can build the Large Hadron Collider and make it work they could do this. I do however doubt that something of this complexity would cost only $100 million. I foresee when the time comes to actually constructing this thing (eventually you know we will have a who has the biggest quantum super computer pissing contest with other nations) it will easily be over $1 billion dollars

How exactly are their claimed requirements so incredible you file them under 'never going to happen'? Have you seen any of the intense shit we do?

It may happen. It won't look anything like what is being proposed I suspect. The current big ones are 200 qubit, not shipping for several months to a year, and is about half the size of a van. This guy wants to have a 120 yard by 80 yard machine room packed densely with fist sized units that are 2500 qubits. From the promo pics, the "CPU" is about the size of your head. The "motherboard" is about the size of a leg. The shielding to avoid interference is about half the size of a van. While the CPU part has been increasing in density rapidly, the other parts aren't keeping pace. Right now, I don't think anyone is interested in improving that part much.

100mil to solve unsolvable problems? World hunger? World peace? What women want? Sounds like money well spent.

100 mil is pretty average, the Titan supercomputer cost over 90 years ago

100mil to solve unsolvable problems? World hunger? World peace? What women want? Sounds like money well spent.

chicken>egg>chicken>egg>BSOD.........

Also the Forbin Project comes to mind.

Back