• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Physically gigantic monitors w/ low PPI?

aronesz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
389
Greetings,

We have a bunch of users who have been authorized by higher ups for a dual monitor. These users use "older" ThinClients (t5710 if I have to be specific). Presently, these users use 19" monitors at 1024x768 (native resolution of monitor is 1280x1024).

It would be cheaper to buy $150-250 monitors versus $400 ThinClients (HP t5740e). So, we are looking for a monitor that is physically huge, but with a low PPI. Matte is preferred.

Suggestions?

(Samsung 2443BWT-1 for 1920x1200 @ 24" for $295 is a possibility, but also looking for alternatives that may be less expensive.)

(Hanns G HZ281HPB for 1920x1200 @ 28" for $274 is even better than the previous.)
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are these users aware they can change the dpi settings and also magnify webpages within a browser?

I have a brother-in-law like that, who runs his 1280x1024 at 1024x768... text is misaligned, and it generally looks terrible. He won't listen to me though when I tell him to change the dpi settings.

Instead of going super cheap, I'd recommend going medium priced, for something halfway decent. Something like this:
http://www.compsource.com/pn/S27A650D/Samsung_389/Syncmaster-S27a650d-Widescreen-Lcd-Monitor/

$379 for a Samsung, 27" VA panel. 1920x1080. Semi-glossy, although unsure if that would be a problem, so long as they aren't using them near windows, or with bright lights.

I wouldn't bother with something like the Hanns... two reviews on first page aren't exactly promising:

"I would not recommend this as a computer monitor. ” IT Pro | 3 reviewers made a similar statement

“ Lasted only 4 months with modest use. ” K. Barnes | 6 reviewers made a similar statement
 
Last edited:
You could always go with refurbed 32" LFDs -- necdisplay offers afew for ~300, and Legend Micro has a couple of Samsungs that might work for ~350. Their 32" 720p monitors. I wouldn't be able to use them for text, but to each his own.
 
Honestly, I simply recommend telling them to change the dpi settings. Are they running old software that doesn't play well with Windows dpi settings?

If they are just mostly web browsing, have them set the dpi to large, adjust the zoom in the browser to 150% or so... and their eyeballs will be fine. If they still can't see, just zoom until text size is insanely large.
 
Honestly, I simply recommend telling them to change the dpi settings. Are they running old software that doesn't play well with Windows dpi settings?

If they are just mostly web browsing, have them set the dpi to large, adjust the zoom in the browser to 150% or so... and their eyeballs will be fine. If they still can't see, just zoom until text size is insanely large.
We're not on 2008 R2 servers yet. ;\

I recall changing this on a Windows XP machine and the difference wasn't anything like changing the resolution. Will try this again though because it has been too long since I last tried. Thanks for the advice!
 
Ah, using XP. Yeah, XP was less friendly regarding dpi changes, as I seem to recall. Windows 7 seems to handle dpi scaling better.

For web browsing, dpi shouldn't be an issue, if you simply use zoom. The Nosquint extension for FF should work fine, for instance. And in Chrome, if you go into settings, you can set a default zoom level for all webpages.

The tricky part is if there is specific (and older) software that people need to run. As old software may ignore dpi settings and do its own thing, resulting in small fonts/text. One option is to upgrade software (which may be cheaper than buying new monitors).

Outside of 19" LCDs at 1280x1024, and 27" LCDs at 1980x1080, I'm not aware of any other monitors with a low PPI. You'd have to venture into using a TV as a computer monitor, which may not be any cheaper, and it'll probably have issues with text.

One alternative, which may not work, but I'll throw it out there, is to use a 20-21", 1600x1200 LCD, at half resolution, 800x600. There are reports that since it's being run at exactly half resolution, scaling isn't a problem and text is almost as clear as native. But... this may depend a lot on video card used, connection used, and monitor. So it may work, or may not. And although bigger than a 19", it's not exactly a huge monitor... just a bit bigger than what they have now.
 
Back
Top