Physical To Virtual

silvercas

n00b
I would like to take my backup exec backups and load them into vmware server. When I try to do this I get BSOD. Is there a tried and proven method? I dont want to use vmware converter.

Thanks

maybe he has reason to suspect that the converter will not properly quiesce his Exchange server's configuration? I don't know, and I can't think of a good reason. I would run P2V as the first option, and importing backups as a second option, personally.

maybe he has reason to suspect that the converter will not properly quiesce his Exchange server's configuration? I don't know, and I can't think of a good reason. I would run P2V as the first option, and importing backups as a second option, personally.

it's a backup - it's already quiesced :confused:

On top of that, the latest version uses microsoft's VSS driver, so it certainly will quiesce.

is there a set procedure to restore tape to VM? I have tried building a vm with windows 2003 server and restoring and have just gotten BSOD

What do you mean?

If you're trying to restore the contents of a VM by treating it like a physical server with agents in the OS, call Symantec - that's their problem. If you're trying to copy VMDKs from tape, call VMware - that's our problem.

for disaster recovery testing I want to restore a backup I have on tape of a physical machine to a vmware server. Is there a way to do this?

Possibly, sure. Call symantec and ask why the restore isn't working.

Realize that the virtual machine will have different hardware than the physical, of course.

When I moved some servers from Hyper-V to VMware I just made some new Virtual Guests and then restored the data from tape and it worked fine. If you are trying to do a full system restore from tape then you are going to run into issues because of the hardware and driver differences.

Captain Colonoscopy: I am aware of this and thought replacing the boot.ini, hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe would fix the machine up. This procedure has worked when testing a restore to a physical machine

lopoetve: symantec is going to tell me to buy BESR when I have done this with what I have before to physical machines

It's going to be different hardware - you're probably going to ~need~ BESR - the hardware is changing. Your only other option will probably be to do a repair install or re-run sysprep on them to get it up and going.

I highly doubt your physical machines have a 440BX motherboard, after all.

oh come on, the 440BX/TX chipsets aren't that old...only about 10 years...hehe

Back