PHP/CSS for Print

ameoba

Supreme [H]ardness
I've recently been tasked with making a reasonably complex document (college transcripts, the program that generates them now, in plain text, is 15K lines of code in Pro*C) accessable on the web and looking good when printed (current system takes up 10 pages to print 2yr worth of courses). It looks like I'm going to have to be using PHP to do this.

I understand there's some CSS to handle this but it's support is incomplete & it will still leaves a lot of work on me in making page layouts - counting lines on the page & making sure to repeat headers. I'm already going to have enough trouble trying to interface this with the existing commercial system's authentication system & the source database so I'd like to minimize the ammount of work it takes to lay out the page.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll have to use a point/pica based layout, blow out all the browser defaults and count everything I put on the page. This doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Anyone out there in [H]-land have any pointers on this or possibly know of some pre-existing libraries that could make my life easier?

Back