PhotoShop taking my machine to its knees

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
First, machine specs:
P4 3.02GHz
1G Corsair XMS
Dual 30G WD Caviars in RAID0
Radeon 9800 Pro 256M

I run an older version of PS (6.0) and lately running PhotoShop has been dragging the machine to a halt. I have changed 3 things:

6.14 ATI display driver
WinXP SP2
Installed Nikon's "PictureProject"

Any of these known to affect PS performance that anyone knows? I'm guessing the display driver? (since I have installed SP2 and PictureProject on my dual Xeon workstation with no ill effect)

How are your scratch disks set up? You could try deleting your prefs, but i doubt that would fix it. You might wanna back it up first jus in case...I can't remember where it's located off hand though. After you back it up, hold ctrl - alt - shift and start PS. It'll ask if you wanna delete your prefs. Also, how big are the files you're working on? Maybe you need to purge your history or something. How much ram do you have allocated for PS to use? And what exactly is it that brings PS to it's knees? Anything is particular like a certain filter or anything.

That machine is beyond enough to run photoshop, i have a Celeron 2Ghz and it runs it beautifully.

yeah, check the scratch disks (Edit, preferences, Plugins and scratch disks).

I have a system with less RAM, and its still running (I'm planning on upgrading my RAM amount to a gig). Also, check the plugins and fonts that you don't/rarely use.

You could try turning off hyperthreading. I was having hang ups in photoshop on a fast machine and turning off HT fixed it.

I've been running PS on this machine for a long time. It is only recently that it started acting up (those three changes I mentioned plus Doom3). When I check the task manager the cpu(s) hardly move and it doesn't appear to be eating RAM up (PS has 75% assigned to it - I moved it to 60% in case XP wasn't getting enough but that also seemed to have no effect). Guess I'll just reload and see what happens.

LOL! Got the answer at the Nikonians forum. It was a PS patch :rolleyes: Seems the original version had a problem with external drives (i.e. my camera hooked up to the computer). I'd been running this app for so long, I never thought to check for a patch and I certainly would not have suspected the camera itself!

PS-RagE said:
LOL! Got the answer at the Nikonians forum. It was a PS patch :rolleyes: Seems the original version had a problem with external drives (i.e. my camera hooked up to the computer). I'd been running this app for so long, I never thought to check for a patch and I certainly would not have suspected the camera itself!
You goin' {s}oft on us? I would have expected better from you :p

Back