photoshop error: "could not complete request, not enough memory (ram)" ?!

mecca

Limp Gawd
i've recently installed win XP on my system, and it seems to work without a hitch. however, i've reinstalled my Photoshop CS2 as well and i'm getting this ridiculous error after using the program for a bit.. i can still paint onto a canvas and whatnot, but a ton of stuff will suddenly refuse to work anymore such as SAVING, or creating a new document, etc..

i get the error "Could not complete your request because there is not enough memory (RAM)".

this doesn't make any sense.. i have 2 gigs of ram. my photoshop is only taking up about 136mb of ram while i'm using it (even when the errors occur). my cpu usage is also below 15%, and my page file usage is low at like 472 mb.

meanwhile, i have page files setup on both my 80 gig and 300 gig harddrives.. allocated to a maximum of about 4 gigs each (all setup in windows virtual memory).

on TOP of that, i have photoshop using a scratch disk on both of my harddrives as well, and it's also set to use 55% of my memory usage.

basically, i can't see one single reason why this would be happening. it's sooo frustrating, because the problem won't stop until i close the program (losing all of my work) and restarting it.

it's not a physical hardware problem, i've checked my ram out and no other applications have given me this issue. i've also tried reinstalling CS2 twice on the system.. it still happens.

what else could it possibly be?? this NEVER happened on win2k. :/

I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, but it's never recommended to split the page file up. Go back and set Xp to use your primary drive for the pagefile, and let XP manage it (as a test). Then configure Photoshop to use the second drive for it's scratch file. Both should be single files, but on separate drives.

It's okay here, because it's an OS problem.

djnes said:
I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, but it's never recommended to split the page file up.

really? i' thought multiple page files were much better.. one on each drive

Go back and set Xp to use your primary drive for the pagefile, and let XP manage it (as a test). Then configure Photoshop to use the second drive for it's scratch file. Both should be single files, but on separate drives.

the problem still seems to persist.. i don't think it's a page file issue :[

mecca said:
really? i' thought multiple page files were much better.. one on each drive
[
You might be thinking of the "tweak" that suggests moving the pagefile to a separate physical hard drive.

djnes said:
You might be thinking of the "tweak" that suggests moving the pagefile to a separate physical hard drive.

So would it be bad idea to change the page file to a 74GB raptor (for that purpose alone) and have windows on a 150GB Raptor ?

It's generally a good idea, if you have two physical drives (especially ones on separate channels) to move the pagefile to a different drive as the OS. If I'm guessing right, you have a 150 Gb Raptor as C. where windows is installed, and a D drive that's the 74 GB Raptor. If that was my system, I'd move the pagefile to the second Raptor. The reason I called it a "tweak" is because the overall performance gain is pretty minima, especially if you have a good amount of physical RAM.

Moving the page file mainly benefit from being on seperate controllers, not just seperate disks.

First off how much memory are you using when you get this error (check task manager, performance, commit charge peak)?

Next, how much RAM do you have?

Finally, what are the PF settings when this error generates?

edit: this seems more like an application error.

Back