Photoshop CS4 (64bit) & Win7 x64 problem fixed

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I just wanted to post this to help anyone who might be having this problem.

Here's the problem. When you use Photoshop's lasso tool, you can press ALT at the same time, and it would turn into a magnetic lasso tool that you can use to make straight lines.

Well, what would happen is that I would be making a selection, and then suddenly the screen (both screens, as I'm using a dual screen setup) would flicker, and the selection would complete itself, and I would be SOL, as, obviously, the selection is not what I wanted.

I could replicate this without fail. I'm halfway done with making a perfect selection, and bam!, this crap happens, and I have to start all over again. :mad: It happens ALL the time, no matter what Photoshop setting I used. Photoshop was completely updated, and all my device drivers (video card, mouse drivers, etc.) were all at their latest. So I started looking outside Photoshop, as I was thinking it might be another software problem.

After much trial and error, I narrowed it down to Task Manager. I had Task Manager running in my tray. If I closed Task Manager (not minimize, close), restarted Photoshop, and made my selection using the lasso tool, the issue would go away, but would come back randomly.

The fix? Run Photoshop CS4 in Vista compatibility mode. This solves the problem completely.

I know a lot of you will probably say that you have Photoshop CS4 running flawlessly on Win7 x64, but I have 3 computers, each with completely different configurations, one of them being a laptop, that I was able to replicate this on. Once I ran Photoshop in Vista compatibility mode on each computer, the problem was completely solved.

So I hope this helps anyone who has run into this problem.:)

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Just tried it and it does glitch with task manager open (though I never usually have task manager open while using PS).

Interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Just tried it and it does glitch with task manager open (though I never usually have task manager open while using PS).

Yeah, I pulled my hair out trying to figure this one. Who would've ever thought it would be Task Manager related. :p

Must be something with how it polls for resource usage and such. That would be my guess, though I could be completely wrong :p

Back