Photoshop CS compatible on 64bit system?

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a book for Photoshop CS and was interested in teaching myself how to use the program well for some personal use, and possibly some freelance design in the future.

My question is, should I get the original CS since that is what my book is on? Is it compatible with my 64bit system?

or

Should I get CS4 or CS5? Since it is most recent and should run optimally on my newer system?

It should work fine.

As to what version you should get -- I'd always recommend to get the newest version of a utility like that, but if your book is on an older one, you might be able to find a used copy for cheaper.

Hmmm, so it would probably be a better idea to get the newer version and just get a used book off amazom? That makes sense.

yes, but old books usually have similar info as new books, minus the new items they add in.

you can also find a TON of free sites and tutorials with some google searches, youtube has plenty of videos on using photoshop.

lynda.com may be worth it to sign up on for a month or 2 as well.

Definitely get the newest version. There have been so many changes between CS and CS5, it has been improved at least 10-fold. IMHO :)

For sure, some new versions are worth it while others are not, i recall seeing many people say going from say cs3 to cs4 was nothing, but i do know CS5 added some nice new toys to it!

CS4 was the first Ps to have a 64bit exe for the program.
If you get CS4 or CS5, you can use that. Otherwise you're going to be using a 32bit executable that is locked to 4gb maximum ram usage. Depending on your specs and what types of files you're working with, that may or may not be a problem. :) For most people, it's not a problem....but in terms of difference, there it is. If you're working with high res TIF or RAW files, you're probably going to want >4gb of usage for Ps. Anything else, it's not going to matter to you really.

CS4 added a fairly large list of new stuff; I haven't noticed much new in CS5 yet. New stuff, sure, but nothing I've really had much use of (yet).

5.5 is the most recent version of the suite, but the most recent Ps is still CS5. (5.5 was only a few upgrades for other apps, like InD and AE).

Thanks folks, I think I'll go for the CS5 since it has full 64bit capability. I may not need it until I learn what the hell I'm doing and get into some more in depth projects, but I'd rather have the capability down the road when I need it.

Thanks all!

Back