• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Photo Printer?

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
10,346
Any recommends on photo printers (that will also be used extensively for B/W documents)? I was looking at the HP 8450 and the Canon Pixma line. I like the idea with Canon of the separate ink tanks. I don't need an all-in-one scanner/fax, etc., just great photo's and documents.
 
I hate all printer makers because they get you so bad on ink/toner...

Anyways, I've been a loyal HP customer when it comes to InkJet because all their cartridges come with a brand new set of heads. I don't care what anybody says, heads that are built-in into the cart can and WILL clog up and print lines sooner or later. Lexmark used to include a brand new head with their ink as well (not sure if they still do) but their printers suck so that is not an option for me.

Good luck,

Walter
 
Epson R200, R300. I have both. Both have seperate ink tanks. Both do great photos and text. Both print on cd/dvds also. I get my ink tanks at www.inkgrabber.com . Been using the ink grabber ones for over a year, never a problem with the orders or the ink tanks.
 
The print head thing is why I like HP too, but I hate their combined ink cartridges (at least on the models I', looking at). For that, Canon has the edge since each color is separate and the plastic is clear so you can actually see the ink level! On the software side, it looks like HP's may be a little more sophisticated (or at least looks more professional).

Canon's print head is fixed, but replaceable, unlike Epson's which requires a service call (or maybe a hack job if out of warranty?)
 
Get the HP 8450. That thing prints some fantastic photos and the text is crisp! Cannon is good too so I will not bash it.

I am biased though.
 
I have a Canon ip4000. Has been a great printer. Photos look excellent. Does double sided printing and the low quality setting is great for printing crap. big thumbs up, best printer I have owned.
 
Problem is I would like to have network capability, which the 8450 has. Even the more expensive Canon 6000 doesn't have this. What a conundrum (sp?)! HP quality withy networking, but Canon seems to have a better print head and separate ink.

Anyone know why the Canon 5000, with the 1 PL drop size has crappier photo ratings than the 4000/6000 with a 2 PL drop size? Seems like smaller drops would give a sharper picture?
 
i have the canon i900d and the pixma mp780. i love both. i think canon has the edge in photo quality and print speed (photo). i think the hp's have an edge in text printing speed and quality. if you print lots of photos, canon is the way to go.
 
Rustynuts said:
Problem is I would like to have network capability, which the 8450 has. Even the more expensive Canon 6000 doesn't have this. What a conundrum (sp?)! HP quality withy networking, but Canon seems to have a better print head and separate ink.

Anyone know why the Canon 5000, with the 1 PL drop size has crappier photo ratings than the 4000/6000 with a 2 PL drop size? Seems like smaller drops would give a sharper picture?


it doesn't have as many different color inks. It features only a 5 ink system, while the others have a 6 ink system. The 8500 features an 8 ink system.

If you will be using B/W extensively I have to only recommend the Epson R800. It has 2 dedicated black cartridges, to give the best B/W output available. While I personally will probably be getting myself a Canon 8500, as I'm not concernced with B/W as much, and I like it's other attributes, the R800 it probably going to be your best best.
 
Back
Top