• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Phone system recommendations?

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
4,699
I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this or not but I will give this a go.

We are presently using a Barracuda phone system at work at it needs to be upgraded. We have about 40 internal lines, 7 conference lines, etc. The phones are either Cisco, Polycom or Sonoms. Any recommendations on phone systems out there? Looking for something that has a good feature set, low overhead (cost and personnel) to maintain, able to use the same phones we have now and good support backing from a company.
 
We use an Asterisk based PBX system here, but that doesn't have support. I've installed a few Digium boxes before, runs on Asterisk system, and has a decent feature set. Support is excellent, price is pretty good for what I've seen, and you should be able to use all those phones. I personally have both Cisco and Polycom phones in use right now, not sure about the Sonoms, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

If you have a CDW account, they have some telephony experts, and can bring in Digium on the line to get a conference call going.

Just for reference, we have over 100 DIDs, around 150 extensions, previously 2 branch offices now just 1, paging/intercom, systems all running our Asterisk system.
 
As I understand it, Baracuda's CudaTel is just a customized version of Freeswitch at the core. To answer you question in more detail, I'd want to know a little more.

1) What painpoints are you experiencing hat prevent you from just re-uping with the Cudatel environment?
2) You mention Polycom, Cisco and Snom endpoint. Specifically what models?
3) What level of complication in the management of the system is acceptable?
4) How are the internal lines being delivered at present? Any VOIP involved?
5) How many active calls do you have? Both MAX and average would help.

That being said, I've installed more than a few Asterisk systems and have quite a few 3CX systems out there with backed by either POTS, PRI and/or SIP trunks. Whether it's an FOSS solution or a proprietary one, they all have specific quirks and your specific needs may point in a specific direction.
 
ShoreTel isn't cheap to get into, but its very easy to manage and very powerful. Great support.
 
Back
Top