Phone replacement options?

pcgeek86

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I just started a new job a few weeks ago, and they gave me a Samsung Blackjack II. I hate it. I wanted to buy an iPhone, but I am being told that I'd have to pay full price for one at an AT&T store.

What other options do I have? Any other phones I should consider?

Cheers,
Trevor Sullivan

You're going to pretty much have to get a non iphone, non blackberry smartphone off of ebay or the forums here, and swap the SIM into that phone. If your company is paying the bill, a blackberry or iphone will require a plan change that COULD potentially get you fired, depending on the company. Swapping to a different smartphone (stuck with WinMo or Nokia for now) should be no issue.

What is this plan change you refer to? I got the approval to purchase an iPhone, but my company wouldn't foot the bill for it. I was planning on paying out of pocket, but I don't want to pay full price. The $399 price would have been fine.

They have to change the plan from a smartphone plan to an iPhone plan. The COST is the same, but some corporate environments would easily fire someone over that, if they did it without permission.

Since you have permission, go for it. iPhone is EASILY the best phone AT&T carries.

I work for a small company and the people that handle phone stuff are fine with it. In fact, they're sending iPhones to some of the other consultants already. The problem is that the $399 price is only good for "early upgrade" which means I have to own my Samsung phone for 6 months at least. I'm looking for other options, since right now, they'd charge me $599.

Ideas?

ebay a blackberry of craigslist it
heck with ebay you can get msft cashback to make it cheaper

Well, if the BJ2 was from less than a month ago, you can exchange it for the iPhone. Otherwise, you can sell the BJ2 and get a used iPhone. There are a ton being sold here for a decent discount, but don't expect to get a cheap 3GS.

wait if they gave you a bj2, why cant you ask for a iphone? they give it to the consultants

They gave iPhones to some of them, not everyone. Since I'm new, I didn't get one off the bat. The other issue is that the BJ2 wasn't purchased newly for me .. it was already in stock, so they didn't have to order me a new phone. I don't think it qualifies for returns :(

I was just hoping to find something I could purchase out of pocket ...

Just get a used iPhone for $250 or so, then use it until the 4th gen comes out and use your early upgrade on that. Problem solved.

Back