• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Phone now? (which one) Or wait?

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
1,983
I've never owned a cell phone of my own, but I am very close to needing/wanting one. Is there a "best" time of the year to do it? I'm aiming to go for an Android phone and am probably going to use Verizon wireless. Here's essentially what I need in a phone:

1) Web, text/email
2) Not many minutes at all
3) Decent camera with web integration if possible

I realize that doesn't really narrow it down, but is there an underdog phone that doesn't cost $299 or more that I can grab and use for the above purposes? I could just grab a Droid Bionic or something, but it would be overkill for me probably since I'm new to all this. Also, can tablets like the Galaxy and Transformer act as phones? Thank you for any help.
 
The Blackberry 9900 might be worth considering. $249 from Verizon. Tablets can't act as phones... at least, not yet.

You could buy an older Android off eBay for pretty cheap. Sign it up with Verizon on a month to month basis and see how you like Android. When you're ready, buy a new model and convert to a 1 or 2 year contract, or just buy the phone at full price and stick with the month to month deal.
 
Android or an iPhone are both good choices.

I'd pass on Blackberry.
 
Then I'd get an Incredible, Droid X, Droid 2 or Fascinate off Craigslist for < ~$150.
 
Then I'd get an Incredible, Droid X, Droid 2 or Fascinate off Craigslist for < ~$150.

Thanks for the advice. However, I live in central Maine. The only phones I am finding for sale are in the southern (aka the "second" maine) part of the state and I'm looking at a drive of about 3 hours, based on the locations I am seeing on Craigslist. I'll keep looking.
 
I think an iPhone would be the op's best option. There's no better experience for someone just getting into smartphones. The platform is stable and very user friendly. Good luck.
 
Post a wtb thread here for a android Verizon phone, you can get a good phone under $200 for sure. I only buy new phones from Verizon to sell them and profit. It all depends on what you want really. Like what size screen, a physical keyboard or not. Just go check out a few models to see what size and feautures you want
 
You could probably get a WebOS phone for pretty cheap right now.. great phone, great OS.
 
I'm having a little indecision right now, because mobile games are somewhat of a draw for me, and I like the fact that tablets have bigger screens but I don't think tablets have the full phone functionality. And I don't know whether software/app availability would tip me more toward iphone or android. I contacted two people locally via craigslist 24 hrs ago and haven't heard any response. One was for an htc incredible and one was for a droid x.
 
Android or you aren't getting the best deal, nor the #1 cell phone platform (by numbers, and also by function)
 
>_<

Hopefully someone local gets back to me. Otherwise, I'm gonna spit out a WTB post in the forums here tomorrow.
 
Back
Top