Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch 4K IPS PWM-free monitor

And update with provided Philips DP cable - it does not make any difference.

1. Vertical green lines on dark grey - same as with HDMI, lines are there, covering whole surface of the screen, sparkling nicely all the time

2. Faint "trailing" effect from window corners when windows are placed over uniform color, it's there too - same as with HDMI, it only might be slightly lesser in intensity than with HDMI, but all the same, too much.

3. Burn in - didn't test with DP

I tried these with DP 1.1 and 1.2 mode in display settings.
I also tried changing color modes, changing brightness.
Also, tried toggling SmartContrast and SmartResponse on and off, no effect either.

EDIT:
There is also occasional magenta lines effect; 5 or so 3cm long thick pixel lines move across screen horizontally in maybe 5-6 steps very quickly, I've managed to see this in upper third and lower third, effect showed up randomly, happened at least with HDMI cable, while nothing was moved physically.

I had that issue when I had more than two connections enabled in the monitor:
http://puu.sh/psUTj/1efeefaced.JPG

aiszaxs - For me that happened so far when only one HDMI cable was connected. (I think it looks like the same as in your photo, only that I think the lines were magenta, most likely color would not be seen in photo)

Now I left HDMI connected and have DP cable connected too, and haven't seen it while testing this display with all kinds of things.

However, that green spark effect is actually visible on desktop background image, it's little bit annoying.

EDIT:

Green lines
Woke up and when I got to computer, booted and checked if I get green lines effect using DP cable (while HDMI still connected) - there it was, then I unplugged HDMI cable, and it actually removed the green lines artifact - now it doesn't show up in greys neither does it show up in images with patterns. Maybe Philips HDMI cable is just poor quality.

Burn in effect
I also did run another burn in test - this time brightness at 100% and contrast at 50%, with same "TV-test image". After 15 minutes, I checked burn in against grey backgrounds - there is burn in, but it's relatively low contrast. I did let it run 14 minutes more, and burn in was still relatively low contrast and hard to detect - this is bit surprising compared to test I did yesterday, seems like there is less burn in than yesterday? However It might be that because it's more sunny here today, it might just look that there is less burn in because of ambient light...

Anyway, I did another burn in test with full screen city / night wallpaper with very high contrast and desktop+icons.
I did let both stay on screen for 25 minutes, and there was no obvious burn in visible when I checked burn in after time had passed by using various darker / lighter images with relatively low contrast.
Obviously more organic content there is on screen, there will be less horizontal / vertical lines and hard contrast changes, so at least this kind of test result does feel OK to me, but it doesn't remove the fact that very high contrast UI elements will start to stick to screen.

Last edited:
Another issue / at least with HDMI cable, there seems to be faint "trailing effect", which I can see on flat color backgrounds:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...aints/20160614_Philips_BDM4350UC_trailing.jpg

EDIT:
So if I move window, vertical bar emitting from white window edge will follow window, it's not burn in.
I tried toggling SmartResponse and SmartContrast on/off those at least don't seem to make any difference.
I see the exact same thing on the Dell panels as well. Reproduces with any input.

In the end I took the Philips - I thought if retention isn't that bad I'll just turn on screensaver every 10-15minutes (I'm a mobile tester, I often look away to mobile devices)

And i did LCD Image Retention Test test

For 30 seconds.

Retention was there, slightly visible.... Like, seriously, is that some kind of a stress test or am I an owner of a one of the worst screens? :(

I also started seeing some search results about the model on philips page, but the instruction link still gives 404 error. Moreover, on Polish version of the site, I've found out there are two models:
BDM4350UC/00 and BDM4350UC/27

I googled both and they aren't really different in spec, but maybe something inside that helped with the retention issue?

https://www.ingrammicro.de/pdf/Y261097.pdf
http://content.etilize.com/Manufacturer-Brochure/1033719871.pdf
You can see both on the philips results here as well:
Philips - Szukaj

Last edited:
Interesting. I think that's the first time someone found something like that.

Oh, and you can find both models in shops.

Guys with screens that seem "better" in terms of image retention - could you check what you ordered, and what's your current model ?

Oh, and you can find both models in shops.

Guys with screens that seem "better" in terms of image retention - could you check what you ordered, and what's your current model ?
Where did you find your specific model #? On my Amazon order it just says "BDM4350UC".

Where did you find your specific model #? On my Amazon order it just says "BDM4350UC".

Probably going to be on a label either on the outside of the box, or the back of the monitor, or both.

Found it on the outside of the box. I have BDM4350UC/27.

EDIT: Comparing the 2 PDFs, it seems like /27 has SmartUniformity, but /00 makes no mention of it.

I actually have smartuniformity on mine, it was mentioned when I was buying it, so it shouldn't be that.

I also just got a greeting message that I should change my image frequently, every 30 minutes. How the hell should I change my bottom windows bar images? :)

I actually have smartuniformity on mine, it was mentioned when I was buying it, so it shouldn't be that.

I also just got a greeting message that I should change my image frequently, every 30 minutes. How the hell should I change my bottom windows bar images? :)
You have the /00 model?

morfinx

I think 40" Philips too had this /00 version thing. Go figure what that means.

However, now that I took a look at my box:

It says on serial sticker (where all the bar codes are) that model is: BDM4350UC/00

On the other end of the box where there are copyright / trademark mentions, it says on the last line: "Version: BDM4350C1WWT"

Also, this one is assembled in China.

morfinx

I think 40" Philips too had this /00 version thing. Go figure what that means.

However, now that I took a look at my box:

It says on serial sticker (where all the bar codes are) that model is: BDM4350UC/00

On the other end of the box where there are copyright / trademark mentions, it says on the last line: "Version: BDM4350C1WWT"

Also, this one is assembled in China.
Mine also says "Version: BDM4350C1WWT" and "Assembled in China". However, my Model ID is "BDM4350UC/27".

Is it normal that after windows turns off my screen (i've set it up for 3 minutes, to avoid the burn in issues) and after I'm back, instead of DP1 DP2 HDMI1 inputs I have HDMI 1 + HDMI 1 (again) + HDMI 2? Can I somehow make the initial setup of my multiple screens show up again after I'm back at the PC? Reconfiguring it every time is a bit painful :/

Hmm..I think that the wide gamut statement was a mistake that the reviewer made but I am not sure. Nonetheless, with a wide gamut monitor (100% Adobe RGB colorspace coverage) a menu option that allows you to switch to an sRGB profile is needed or else the application has to be able to do this for you. However, if not colors appear oversaturated and not washed away.

I can't say why this is happening to you though. It seems like the wrong color profile is being used.
Hello,

Thank You for reply. I found out that when I have srgb Icc profile activated, I have weak contrast on desktop. Now that I removed it, contrast is much better. Colors on desktop are now Adobe rgb or something else? Because they are now the same as in Ps and Ae.

Still testing my unit here during weekend...

somehow burn in effect feels a lot lesser issue than during 1st day, I've been using DP cable now, and HDMI is disconnected, as it causes that green spark effect, which seems to render Philips HDMI cable useless, or in worse case, HDMI port use.

However, for some reason I noticed that I still get green spark effect with DP cable too.

If I look from closer distance, I can see sparks in some darker tones of desktop wallpaper (wallpaper kind of pattern image with simulated spotlight effect).

I checked that the cable connections both ends are firmly attached... and display card is less than 3 months old and DP port had a plastic cap before I started to use it last week.

Has anyone else this green spark thing going on? It's annoying, but not visible when I lean back, but if I do some precision stuff, I tend to lean forward... and it shows.

EDIT:
like in this random wallpaper image I just searched, here it shows up in brighter pattern parts, in 4 center area flower patterns: #pattern, #purple, #abstract | Wallpaper No. 383352 - wallhaven.cc

Last edited:

somehow burn in effect feels a lot lesser issue than during 1st day, I've been using DP cable now, and HDMI is disconnected, as it causes that green spark effect, which seems to render Philips HDMI cable useless, or in worse case, HDMI port use.

However, for some reason I noticed that I still get green spark effect with DP cable too.

If I look from closer distance, I can see sparks in some darker tones of desktop wallpaper (wallpaper kind of pattern image with simulated spotlight effect).

I checked that the cable connections both ends are firmly attached... and display card is less than 3 months old and DP port had a plastic cap before I started to use it last week.

Has anyone else this green spark thing going on? It's annoying, but not visible when I lean back, but if I do some precision stuff, I tend to lean forward... and it shows.

EDIT:
like in this random wallpaper image I just searched, here it shows up in brighter pattern parts, in 4 center area flower patterns: #pattern, #purple, #abstract | Wallpaper No. 383352 - wallhaven.cc
No, I don't see any green sparks on mine.

EDIT:

No green sparks on mine as well, 2nd day ~12h per day with both one input and 4 at once (2hdmi and 2dp)

morfinx Rabus - Good for you!

Encouraged by replies, I went ahead and tested where the issue is - do I have a bad display card, some wiring issue, or bad HDMI cable:

1. Changed Philips HDMI cable to port 2 from port 1 - it did not make any difference
2. Changed Philips HDMI cable to Dell HDMI cable - it did not make any difference
3. As my display card (GeForce 960, I know, not going to play games) had only one HDMI connector, I took the display to other room
4. Attached the display to different computer, with another 960 card with newer motherboard and all and to another power socket - same result

So, I can conclude that it's not a problem with my display card, neither it's a problem with HDMI cable itself - problem is in the Philips display...

EDIT: and I might add that it seems like green sparks are not related to panel areas that get exposed to static content, as sparks can be seen on whole panel, depending on image colors producing this effect.

Last edited:
morfinx Rabus - Good for you!

Encouraged by replies, I went ahead and tested where the issue is - do I have a bad display card, some wiring issue, or bad HDMI cable:

1. Changed Philips HDMI cable to port 2 from port 1 - it did not make any difference
2. Changed Philips HDMI cable to Dell HDMI cable - it did not make any difference
3. As my display card (GeForce 960, I know, not going to play games) had only one HDMI connector, I took to display to other room
4. Attached the display to different computer, with another 960 card with newer motherboard and all and to another power socket - same result

So, I can conclude that it's not a problem with my display card, neither it's a problem with HDMI cable itself - problem is in the Philips display...

EDIT: and I might add that it seems like green sparks are not related to panel areas that get exposed to static content, as sparks can be seen on whole panel, depending on image colors producing this effect.

I'd take it for a warranty replacement, seriously.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Wow, that's pretty interesting, BOTH models disappeared from Polish website, and they did so from US too. You can still find the /00 on Austria philips website and a few others too, but not on those I linked above anymore.

WTF is going on actually?

Thinking of buying this to replace my BDM4065UC.

Will it be worth it?

I am mostly a gamer, and am worried about any image burn in issue.

Thinking of buying this to replace my BDM4065UC.

Will it be worth it?

I am mostly a gamer, and am worried about any image burn in issue.

Just don't.

Consider this: Philips launches this prosumer product, 1-1½ month later it's pulled off their product line.
If this is not a warning signal - I don't know what.

I bought 2 - I'm just a youtube watcher / gamer - and I could not live with it.

Just don't.

Consider this: Philips launches this prosumer product, 1-1½ month later it's pulled off their product line.
If this is not a warning signal - I don't know what.

I bought 2 - I'm just a youtube watcher / gamer - and I could not live with it.

Any reason why you could not live with it, and why was it pulled off the line?

I could not live with horrible quality, and artifacts racing across the screen. In that case - I might just save some money and buy a cheap LG 4:4:4 4k tv instead.

We have no idea why it was pulled - but I will assume that it was due to the high amount of complaints and RMA's of the shitty panel they put in the monitor.

Hmm thats interesting

I was thinking of getting a 4K OLED Tv, but the ones with lowest input lag (30ms) are not available yet in Australia, and will probably be mega expensive when they do.

Are there any good 4K TVs with low input lag with 4:4:4 -on game mode?

Official statement from support - "They have new website and cannot put it back"

Unofficial from somwehere on pages of this topic - they couldn't keep up with production or something like that

My assumptions - RMAs and overall problems with this screen.

I couldn't live with it because it's so comfortable to work on such a large screen when you ie. need 4 windows next to each other - I thought I'll use 4 input feature extensively, instead I've turned on 4k and I'm just snapping 4 windows in each corners and it works great - EVEN on non 4k, because it's still big and readable

About image retention... I do get bad results on the image retention tests (15 seconds and burn in is visible), but, even though I'm using the screen from 9-10AM till 10-11PM I get 0 burn ins while in normal use. But I do use screensaver set on 1 minute and display turn off set for 3 minutes - thanks to that, screen gets some new image every hour or two (screensaver), and while im away for a break, eating or something it does have some rest. It's not ideal, but it works. Also, zero green lines, zero problems with anything else - and I guess, I can live with all those issues this screen have.

Oh, and wallpapers in 4k are lovely. lol :D

Mine hasn't burned in but I now get retention with a minute as well. Nothing that stays though. This is my 2nd unit. I think everyone has it and those who say they don't your just not looking for it correctly. Nice monitor for sure but I got a feeling this problem is going to get a whole lot worse eventually. Not indefinite burn in, but longer for it loose the slight retention.

Ahh that sux, that kills my interest in getting this monitor.

Might go for a Samsung quantom dot TV now.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but still no burn in that I can see. When I'm working, I have a lot of windows with white backgrounds that tend to stay in one location for extended periods of time, and I haven't noticed any burn in yet.

Hey guys,

I called Philips once again to ask about differences between /00 and /27 and it seems... that it's just a region code :D

About burn in - I got a whole bottom bar burned in (you can't really do anything about it, this will stay static most of the day) and a dot in the middle of the screen out of nowhere

I'll consider returning it, you can't do anything at all about those issues sadly. I did turn on screensaver, I did turn on "monitor turn off" after 5 minutes, and it didn't help at all.

morfinx try to open this site, LCD Image Retention Test with full screen on (f11)

Last edited:
Hi Guy
This is my first post and here is why I signed in: I LOVE this screen but I HATE its issue. Many positive things: picture quality, PIP PAP, size, resolution but....

I have an issue with the "green vertical lines" wich appear on dark greys and several other specific colors (we have an example above, yellow/orange background) : dark greys, turquoise, orange...
This is really annoying as the lines shown are scintillating (seems to be the green sub pixels).

Problem: some times the problem disappears completely for hours, and then come back for some time . I did try several connections (display port 1.4, hdmi 2.0 etc... native res @ 60hz ) . nothing seems to change this problem.

So, for this issue only, I'll have to send it back...maybe. can you tell me how the owners that had the problem solved it?

PS: I have also the Windows resizing the windows problem, but it is more a software problem I think.

vicill - Well, I posted images about vertical green lines above, and I went ahead and returned the display. I couldn't find any way to remove the problem, it is like you described.

I don't think there is anything to be done, I only had nvidia cards, so I couldn't test it with AMD card, which was only thing I could think of at that point.

I was about to get third display for testing, but seller couldn't say if other units in their inventory would be from different batch or not, so I didn't get another one...

Have to think for a while for other options, my second unit didn't have that bad burn in issues (it had some, but not horrible), but in combination with other issues it had, it was too much for me.

that is really bad :-( I really love it but I'll end up returning it I think...

I'm thinking about using a TV samsung UE40JU7000 UHD 4K as a monitor. (it is HDMI 2.0 / colors 4:4:4 @ 60hz)
But I can't find people using this kind of solution as a professional basis (working on monitor 10 to 14h/day)

The thing is: when you have tasted the 40"+ size at UHD definition, it is hard to go back to lower res/smaller size (especially for a guy like me with CAD 3D / developer / photoshop user)

any feedback about tv as a monitor (especially the UE40JU7000) ?

Back