Philips BDM4065UC vs LG 34UC97-S

yurt99

n00b
Hi,

I wonder which display is the best. I need a display essentially to work (i'm developer, i have a lot of open windows at the same time), but why not to play games (with my PS4) since my Mac is not the best gaming computer...

I wonder if 4K (for the Philips) is not too much for my Mac (MacBook Pro i7 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048mb) and if 40 inches are not too big to be comfortable for work.

My pros for the Philips:
- Big screen, a lot of space!
- 4 x usb hub
- Ideal size for a second TV (with a couch in the same room)
- Very cheap

My pros for the LG:
- Beautiful!
- Thunderbolt
- Curve screens best for such sizes?
- Good speakers
- No PMW

I have already a 20 inch monitor with PMW and i don't feel any discomfort... But i don't know if t's worst with a bigger display.

Any advices?

Last edited:
I have a MacBook Pro i7 @2,5 GHz with GeForce GT 750M 2048mb. Is it enough for UHD?

Seeing both side by side, 40"+ 4k by far. That said, ex gf just got a dell 34 21:9 for productivity/video editing and it's a great screen. Reason was no PWM like on the phillips which was compared, better colour with IPS and no artifacting noticed.
With this in mind th eother choice was korean 40" plus for the freesync etc but good luck with that if its faulty.

Working closely on some other stuff with and trying to press a large, popular gaming monitor manufacturer to produce what we are looking for... fingers crossed.

40" UHD, why it is even a question?

34" 1440, why is it even a question?

LL

@OP

4k res. will probably be better for you your usage tbh

But worth bearing in mind that the Philips screen has a glossy finish so reflections galore especially if you are in a room with lots of light.

VA panel is better for contrast ratio and blacks but it has high input lag + slow trailing motion issues which won't be great for gaming, media consumption.

With using a console, you won't get the benefit of the 21.9 aspect ratio of the LG screen.

EDIT:

Although 34" 1440 is pretty nice for multi-tasking, not my pic:

HDd0R0D.jpg

Last edited:
With using a console, you won't get the benefit of the 21.9 aspect ratio of the LG screen.

What this guy said.

I'm guessing OP doesn't know much about computers (being a mac guy) so he doesn't realize a console won't be able to display 3440 X 1440?

I've owned the earlier model curved LG, the 34uc97. It was a great all around PC use screen and a decent gaming screen as well.

But if you are planning on gaming with a console, you might want to google "console games at 3440 X 1440"

I'm guessing OP doesn't know much about computers (being a mac guy) so he doesn't realize a console won't be able to display 3440 X 1440?

I've owned the earlier model curved LG, the 34uc97. It was a great all around PC use screen and a decent gaming screen as well.

But if you are planning on gaming with a console, you might want to google "console games at 3440 X 1440"

I know that consoles don't support 3440x1440, i'm a mac + pc user and i'm not stupid :p
But gaming with my console is not the most important. The most important is productivity at work (multitasking).

"Who can do more can do less", so i think i will choose the 40 inch/4K display, even if i love the aspect of ultra wide displays.

The only problem is that i don't want PWM at all. And i don't see any other 40 inch display (available now and in my country - France). I'm afraid of the new 43 inch Philips... 40 inch are the maximum i want.

Productivity then definitely go for the 4k 40"+ hands down, use a virtual desktop manager to partition the screen for windowing if apple don't already have it.

Also it's a natural fit for console with easy upscale and no bars.

I'm going 40"+ 4k in a few months also but the OLED dell has me so tempted. Help me god!

Edit 43" is actually better than 40" in terms of PPI if you want similar use distance to a 1440p screen and same PPI... for me 1440p is perfect, a little smaller (40") is fine too, but 42-44" is sweet spot for 1440 style PPI on a bigger screen. Then it really fills your vision well.

I'm afraid of the new 43 inch Philips... 40 inch are the maximum i want.

If you are comfortable using a 40" then you can use a 43" no problem. I would wait for the new Philips as it should address some of the complaints with the BDM4065UC.

Regarding the original question, I would go 40"+ 4K over 34" 21:9 ultrawide every single day of the week. I've had both and the large 4K experience for both gaming and productivity is clearly superior IMO.

Also you can force games to use 21:9 in a lot of games even on a 4k screen so you get both that ultra wide and the 4k desktop space. Best of both worlds imo.

Back