Philips AirFryer Refurb $99 shipped on eBay - For health conscious geeks/gamers :D

lifanus

Gawd
Deal's dead :( It's selling for $130 now on eBay.

Buydig on eBay have Philips AirFryer with Rapid Air Technology (HD9220 series) Your choice in Color (Black or White) for $99 shipped!
3 Month Philips Warranty (Philips are great with their warranty claims)

I personally tasted the fried chicken/crispy fried duck came out of this Fryer at my friends house. They are delicious and tender and much less greasy than regular deep-fried stuff, the skin is crispy too.. And all the grease is collected into dripping pan for easy disposal. If you are making crispy fried ducks, collect the duck grease and make some seriously healthy and delicious pineapple fried rice w/duck grease. My mouth is watering now..:D

Found a photo of the stuff that came out of it I took at friend's house
i-2SGqZqW.png

Last edited:
Any comment on how difficult it is to maintain and clean, does it make your house smell like Lucky Dragon Takeout forever?

Any comment on how difficult it is to maintain and clean, does it make your house smell like Lucky Dragon Takeout forever?

She told me it's very easy to clean, basically take pan and basket out and wash with soap or put in dishwasher. see this link

On the smell part... Use HEPA air purifier for all kinds of cooking smells.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was looking into one of these and they are basically convection ovens. The problem with these devices are with things that are naturally very oily, like say bacon. You really can't use it in these "air fryers" because you can cause a fire from all the oil that will hit the heating element on the top. That part you cannot wash. After reading that I have passed on buying these things. In general pre-fried food or frozen pre-fried food like fries or pre-made frozen wings work well in this, but if you want to make your own wings from scratch from raw wings, you still either have to pre-fry it or get some oil on the raw wings before you place it in this machine or it will turn out terrible. Some things will dry out quickly remember it's not really frying it's a mini convection oven so like an oven things will dry out.

I have the large-basket HD9240 model. I cook a lot of chicken legs and thighs in it (not a fan of wings - no meat), neither of which need any extra oil brushed on since the skin is fatty enough by itself. I've also used the cooking plate for frying up chicken livers. Cleaning is relatively easy, but you'll want a long brush that's shaped right to get into the corners of the deep drip pan.

The one drawback from cooking really fatty meats is it may produce a hazy smoke from the exhaust. I have the air fryer set up next to the stove, and just turn it so the exhaust is under the stove's hood and pipe it outside. I've tossed my deep fryer into the trash since picking up the air fryer.

I own the simple model HD9220, I use it all the time for ore ida fries and hash brown patties. It came with a grill rack for sandwiches, when making those I have to turn them over or only one side will be toasted. It's nice for us as we don't have to get the oven going for some quick snack foods like cheese filled garlic bread sticks. I haven't tried any of the advanced recipes in the book that came with it. Foods are so less greasy with this machine I can now enjoy many fried foods again, I had to give up using the deep fryer years ago due to a digestive disorder.

Might grab one of these and gift it to my brother.

I was looking into one of these and they are basically convection ovens. The problem with these devices are with things that are naturally very oily, like say bacon. You really can't use it in these "air fryers" because you can cause a fire from all the oil that will hit the heating element on the top. That part you cannot wash. After reading that I have passed on buying these things. In general pre-fried food or frozen pre-fried food like fries or pre-made frozen wings work well in this, but if you want to make your own wings from scratch from raw wings, you still either have to pre-fry it or get some oil on the raw wings before you place it in this machine or it will turn out terrible. Some things will dry out quickly remember it's not really frying it's a mini convection oven so like an oven things will dry out.

Negative Ghost Rider.

Mine has had probably 500 raw wings cooked in it and every one of them has come out perfect.

Dust wings with spices of choice (I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mccormick-Jer...qid=1443100359&sr=8-1&keywords=mccormick+jerk)

Toss in the basket and cook for 16 minutes. I pull out the basket and give it a shake/toss at 8 min. They come out perfect every time.

The one I have will hold just under 2 pounds of wings (about 16 wing pieces).

I'll take a picture next time I cook wings. Might even be tonight.

Negative Ghost Rider.

Mine has had probably 500 raw wings cooked in it and every one of them has come out perfect.

Dust wings with spices of choice (I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mccormick-Jer...qid=1443100359&sr=8-1&keywords=mccormick+jerk)

Toss in the basket and cook for 16 minutes. I pull out the basket and give it a shake/toss at 8 min. They come out perfect every time.

The one I have will hold just under 2 pounds of wings (about 16 wing pieces).

I'll take a picture next time I cook wings. Might even be tonight.

If you are a fan of Jamaican Jerk wings, I recommend you give this a try:

http://www.spicesinc.com/p-151-jamaican-jerk-seasoning.aspx

This site has the freshest and tastiest spices, and at a good price. They give you free samples and nice handwritten notes with every order. This jamaican jerk makes the best freakin' wings. I oven bake my wings for 20 minutes, then toss them on the grill to finish them and get a nice char. Incredible!

It is far more than a hot air blower.

And you can't put a toaster oven in the dishwasher. Cleaning grease spatter from a convection toaster oven is a nightmare.

It is far more than a hot air blower.

And you can't put a toaster oven in the dishwasher. Cleaning grease spatter from a convection toaster oven is a nightmare.

You're blowing hot air, my man. I can achieve the results with a salad bowl and a hair dryer. Steaks, chicken, chops, whatever.

You're blowing hot air, my man. I can achieve the results with a salad bowl and a hair dryer. Steaks, chicken, chops, whatever.

Potentially. Hair dryer will still run at least ten to twenty bucks, and to me it's worth whatever past that not to have to stand in the kitchen for a half hour blow drying my dinner. Or worry that whatever stuff I threw together to MacGyver the salad bowl and hair dryer together so that I didn't have to hold it are going to burn my house down. Especially since I don't think insurance would cover that.

Everyone's allowed their own estimation of what their time is worth, though.

Potentially. Hair dryer will still run at least ten to twenty bucks, and to me it's worth whatever past that not to have to stand in the kitchen for a half hour blow drying my dinner. Or worry that whatever stuff I threw together to MacGyver the salad bowl and hair dryer together so that I didn't have to hold it are going to burn my house down. Especially since I don't think insurance would cover that.

Not Rekt
✔ Rekt

Metal strainer/colander and a harbor freight heat gun baby. The $15 ($9 on sale) one is tempting, but I'd spring for the $30 ($22 w/coupon) version with 12 heat settings. Don't want to hold the heat gun? That's what wire hangers are for!

I actually haven't tried using it as a convection cooker, but I have roasted my own coffee beans in a stainless bowl with it...

Yeah, I watched a lot of (too much?) MacGyver and Red Green growing up.

Last edited:
The oil in fried chicken isn't what's making America fat.

But go ahead and buy one of these, buy a Fitbit too. Just don't expect weight loss.

Metal strainer/colander and a harbor freight heat gun baby. The $15 ($9 on sale) one is tempting, but I'd spring for the $30 ($22 w/coupon) version with 12 heat settings. Don't want to hold the heat gun? That's what wire hangers are for!

I actually haven't tried using it as a convection cooker, but I have roasted my own coffee beans in a stainless bowl with it...

Yeah, I watched a lot of (too much?) MacGyver and Red Green growing up.

For those of you who saw last week's installment, we showed you how to make a cheap chicken fryer out of a heat gun, wire hanger, hubcap, k car, and a whack of the handyman's secret weapon.

So this week, on Handyman Corner, we're going to show you how to rebuild your house from the ashes up.

Back