Philips 230WP7NS AS-IPS?

kleox64

[H]ard|Gawd
Just reading through the specification and Iam convinced its using the new 23" AS-IPS panel since the spec closely matches the NEC 20WMGX2, the only thing that bothers me is the DVM mode on the NEC which achieves 1600:1 contrast ratio from the normal 800:1(which the philips doesnt have). The NEC resolution is going to be problem so thats out, the only solution is a 23"/24" AS-IPS based panel.

It has been confirmed to be a Super-IPS panel. I spoke to Phillips Customer Support a few days ago and the big rub is.....it is not HDCP compliant. But, I ordered one...be here on Monday from "the egg." Here is a rather lame review.... http://www.bonafidereviews.com/article.php?id=147&page=1

I will post my opinion/review asap. Bottome line for me was this monitor had everything I wanted. I do not care about HDCP as I will not watch movies on it anyways. But, 4 port USB, tilt/swivel/rotate/up & down, internal power supply, fast 12ms response time..should be good enough for G.R.A.W. and a phenomonal dot pitch at .258, better than upcoming 2407. Price was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but considering the NEC 20gxm2 is going for 800 clams, it's not so bad.

This looks like a decent 23-24" monitor. I'm looking for one around that size and I would definitely like to read about your experiences with it.

robocop974 said:
It has been confirmed to be a Super-IPS panel. I spoke to Phillips Customer Support a few days ago and the big rub is.....it is not HDCP compliant. But, I ordered one...be here on Monday from "the egg." Here is a rather lame review.... http://www.bonafidereviews.com/article.php?id=147&page=1

I will post my opinion/review asap. Bottome line for me was this monitor had everything I wanted. I do not care about HDCP as I will not watch movies on it anyways. But, 4 port USB, tilt/swivel/rotate/up & down, internal power supply, fast 12ms response time..should be good enough for G.R.A.W. and a phenomonal dot pitch at .258, better than upcoming 2407. Price was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but considering the NEC 20gxm2 is going for 800 clams, it's not so bad.

SUPER -IPS is not AS-IPS >< they are different panels :/

The 1680 resolution is a problem for me as Iam used to 1600x1200 so the 1680x1050 is narrower and I will not be going less in any circumstances. Most if not all my games run at 1600x1200 so a monitor that displays less will chop of the top and bottom unless I can manually enter the resolution (latest games though). Non-native widescreen games again will look arwkward as they will be forcefully scaled with black bars top. bottom and sides.

1920 will work very well versus 1680 as non-native widscreen games will only have black bars on the sides (assuming 1:1 aspect ratio using 1600x1200 resolution).

Does anyone know what panel this monitor is using, no mention of DVM as found on the 20" NEC.

kleox64 said:
1920 will work very well versus 1680 as non-native widscreen games will only have black bars on the sides (assuming 1:1 aspect ratio using 1600x1200 resolution).

Does anyone know what panel this monitor is using, no mention of DVM as found on the 20" NEC.
Most games can be hacked to widescreen formats, go here for tweaks; http://www.tweakguides.com/

And, this is an LG S-IPS panel so it does not have DVM as this is an NEC technology. But, having used this monitor for a few days, I can tell you there is no need for DVM as this monitor is plenty bright, and has a very high contrast ratio.

robocop974 said:
Most games can be hacked to widescreen formats, go here for tweaks; http://www.tweakguides.com/

And, this is an LG S-IPS panel so it does not have DVM as this is an NEC technology. But, having used this monitor for a few days, I can tell you there is no need for DVM as this monitor is plenty bright, and has a very high contrast ratio.

allready aware of this.

PixerPan image:
1876082ghost.jpg

Is taking pictures of moving objects on a monitor really a good way of showing it's blur? The objects are moving in relation to the camera as well so the blur is also coming from the camera....

robocop974 said:
PixerPan image:
1875803PixPerAnSchlierenBild000.jpg

urgh is the camera on its highest shutter speed? Does the car look like that on the screen when you look it with your eyes?

OK, I updated the shot. I used my camera instead of the Pixperan program to take the image. This may be a bit more what people are used to seeing.

I updated the pic, I used a faster shutter speed on the digital cam. I think this more accurately depicts the ghosting. Again, feel free to go here, http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4098 for my detailed review.

I am not really susceptible to ghosting on a monitor, and feel that for a 23" monitor it seems to have very little ghosting at all. I have played F.E.A.R. so far, and find it easily playable with no discernible ghosting.

mymmaster said:
What else would you have liked to see in the review? Is there something that wasn't covered that you are interested in?

Uh yeah, like just about everything. See Tom's Hardware for a REAL test of LCD panels, and comaprisosns to like LCD panels would help also. And don't forget to state what type of panel it is: TN, VA, IPS and all their variations. It's important because people buy panels for different applications. For a gamer only, the new Viewsonic 22" TN panel at Costco for 350.00 is a sweet deal becsue it is so incredibly fast, and looks saturated and great--if you are not photo editing.

Looks like the monitor for me.

I had the 2407WFP(A02) for a week before returning it because of the looking dead on issues with S-PVA i later read about on this forum. I knew exactly what was being described since i had seen it myself but couldn't quite describe what the problem was. I just knew it was a problem for me.

The 2407WFP was also too bright for my tastes i think.

My friend has a 2001FP with IPS panel from back then and if this monitor can do better than that it's just perfect in my view.

Back