• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Phenom X4 vs Core 2 Quad

tkam

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Dec. 2012
Joined
Dec 18, 2007
Messages
436
Quick question, running the linux smp client would a phenom 9850 or a q9300 have a higher ppd?
 
Quick question, running the linux smp client would a phenom 9850 or a q9300 have a higher ppd?

I'm gonna say that the Q9300 would have an edge at stock speeds, esp if you consider power consumption. If you take overclocking into consideration as well, you really should be looking at either the Q6600 or the Q9450, the Q9300 is not very overclocking friendly.

 
I would definitely say either a Q6600 or a Q9450, both of them far outproduce either the Phenom 9850 or Q9300 at stock speeds, and if you're into overclocking, they have a much higher headroom.
 
thanks for the info guys think i'll go with a q9450
 
i'll be running the linux-smp client on the q9450s (which should arrive today) is it best to run two smp clients or just one?
 
Are you running linux native or in a VM? If its a VM just setup 2 VM's and run an instance in each. If you run native linux, i'm not sure how that works. I know others have more linux experience than i do.

Congrats on your purchase!
 
they'll be in native linux machines one running ubuntu 8.04 the other will be running fedora core 8 i believe.
 
For linux get the intel and run 2 x SMP clients. (good production on my 3GHz q6600 with openSUSE)

Or to double your output get a cheap 8800GT 256MB and any flavor of Vista and run 1 GPU2 and 1 SMP. Identical system to the Linux box I get twice the PPD.

Linux outproduces Vista in SMP but there is no Linux GPU client yet.
 
Welp, seein' as I've never tried VMWare in either Linux or windose I was wondering, as I've become a jr. pernts w[H]ore :eek:, if running it would increase my present ppd noticably. :confused:

What I 'm doing ATM is using the Linux version of core affinity (taskset -c) and running one SMP client on cores 0,1 and another SMP client on 2,3. According to FAHmon, which I love because it works in Linux and it makes SAMBA and file sharing so easy (you just gotta' remember to mount the files you want to access). FAHmon reads 2102.51 ppd on cores 0,1 on an OC'ed Q6600 @ 3.0GHz w/2 MB's RAM spilt between the two WUs using the configuration deal and crunching a 2665 WU and on the other two cores (same CPU) I'm only getting like 1885.09 on a 2665 WU. (now remember these stats are the avg readings, it's been my experience I wouldn't take them to the bank as bein' all that accurate) ;)

I gotta' say thanks to whoever or whomever :confused: (obviously I blew it by not bookmarking it and I can't remember the posters handle) posted something about a "batch" file for starting the clients. I also like to see the action when it starts up so not having an "all in one" batch file don't upset me a bit. :p

FOLD ON TO THE MAX


 
Back
Top