Phenom x4 965 BE upgrade?

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a Phenom x4 965 BE and a ASUS M4A87TD board.

Will either the 1045T or FX 8150 Black Edition 3.6GHz Eight-Core fit my motherboard? And would it be a worthwhile upgrade? How much can the 1045T and FX 8150 be overclocked?

I mainly do gaming and photoshop on my PC.

What would be a good motherboard for the fx8350? A good cheap board I mean, no need for SLI.

I currently have a Phenom x4 965 BE and a ASUS M4A87TD board.

Will either the 1045T or FX 8150 Black Edition 3.6GHz Eight-Core fit my motherboard? And would it be a worthwhile upgrade? How much can the 1045T and FX 8150 be overclocked?

I mainly do gaming and photoshop on my PC.

Looks like a 1100T is the fastest you can put in there, or OC a 1045T.

What is the rest of your system like? You could add more memory and a 212+ cpu cooler to OC the cpu. Photoshop could always use more memory, unless you have more then 8gb+ already. I would try the following before buying all new stuff. The 1045T would help if OC on the photoshop side, but a 1090T+ would be better to start with for the gaming side.

If you are going to buy a new cpu/MB, I would just go intel, unless you are dead set on AMD.

I'm sitting on a PII 965 + M4A79T Deluxe + GTX 580 myself (gaming, audio, 2D/3D gfx) and can't see a worthwhile upgrade short of going Intel. You might benefit from more cores if you do heavy CPU rendering or video encoding but that's about it.

I recall 1045T is good to around 3.5-3.6GHz with air-cooling (correct me if I'm wrong) but a 4GHz 4-core would be better for most tasks imo. Unless you get a dirt cheap 1090T/1100T you might as well save the extra 100 bucks for your next upgrade. In the meantime, get an SSD unless you already have one, that's easily the best upgrade for anyone imo.

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I will stick with my current setup for now, which I'm pretty happy with because it was a budget build:

Phenom x4 965 BE
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASUS M4A87TD
Sapphire 6850
HAF 922 case
Corsair 650 watt PSU
Cooler Master 212 Plus

I'm going to OC the CPU if I ever learn how to!

What are your thoughts on the AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz? What kind of OC can someone get with one of those? I think thats like the highest speed CPU I can get for my motherboard? Is the 980 BE worth the .3Ghz over the 965?

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I will stick with my current setup for now, which I'm pretty happy with because it was a budget build:

Phenom x4 965 BE
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
ASUS M4A87TD
Sapphire 6850
HAF 922 case
Corsair 650 watt PSU
Cooler Master 212 Plus

I'm going to OC the CPU if I ever learn how to!

What are your thoughts on the AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz? What kind of OC can someone get with one of those? I think thats like the highest speed CPU I can get for my motherboard? Is the 980 BE worth the .3Ghz over the 965?

Not really. I would just OC the 965 for now. If you can get at/close to 4ghz, it will be good.

If you have a BE cpu and are unhappy with your cpu performance, you should really at least try overclocking before buying anything.

Buying the X4 980 would be a huge waste. You can more then likely overclock your current CPU to the same speeds.

You will see no real world difference upgrading from that 965 to any current FX or 8350... Just overclock it to 4ghz. And use it 1-2 more years. Then it actually will be worth to upgrade.

For gaming, both the 1045 and the 8120 are a waste of money. If you Overclock, the 8120 can be good for games, but the PHII x4s are renowned for being AMD's best gaming CPU for the price.

As for productivity (photoshop, 3D and stuff): more cores = better experience and the 8120 will be a good fit.

Your considerations for CPU upgrades would feel wasted if you went through with it. Just OC your PII. I am still comfortable with my own. You'd be better served with an SSD upgrade (if you don't have one). Next gen CPU's from Intel are the first ones I am really thinking of switching to when they arrive. Otherwise, do as everyone else said, OC.

I love my X4 965 and after researching for months I just can't find anything worth upgrading to, unless I wanted to go Intel - which I don't.

I've been in the same boat as you for a number of years now. (specs in sig)

Ever since the Radeon 5870 came out, it has been bottlenecked by my CPU but to this day I haven't seen a viable upgrade path. Overclocked to 4Ghz, I haven't seen a tangible improvement in the FX-8120, and I'm hoping that the FX-8350 will give me some sort of performance boost in gaming when I pick it up.

At the very least, I'm guaranteed to see an improvement in encoding/rendering times, but an improvement in gaming would be nice too.

Back