Phenom II x6 BF3 Multiplayer Performance

Just a little update: I decided to ditch AMD because the Phenoms are outdated technology and BD is a complete fail. No point in spending any more money in a dead platform. I learned my lesson from my current Phenom build: buy cheap and you'll have to buy twice.

So anyways I went with a full system change to a 2600k, 8gb ram, and a 5970. BF3 runs buttery smooth now. I play at 1024*768 high/ultra settings and the game NEVER dips below 120 FPS. Yes this system may seem overkill for such low of are a resolution, but I prefer the high FPS to good graphics any day.
 
Just a little update: I decided to ditch AMD because the Phenoms are outdated technology and BD is a complete fail. No point in spending any more money in a dead platform. I learned my lesson from my current Phenom build: buy cheap and you'll have to buy twice.

So anyways I went with a full system change to a 2600k, 8gb ram, and a 5970. BF3 runs buttery smooth now. I play at 1024*768 high/ultra settings and the game NEVER dips below 120 FPS. Yes this system may seem overkill for such low of are a resolution, but I prefer the high FPS to good graphics any day.

Do you not have a widescreen monitor? 10 x 7 is a 4 x 3 rez. This drives me nuts when I see people do that on tvs. Stretch the image so you get shot fat people.
 
Do you not have a widescreen monitor? 10 x 7 is a 4 x 3 rez. This drives me nuts when I see people do that on tvs. Stretch the image so you get shot fat people.

Not only that but his FOV has to suck. Yet getting high FPS is fun, but if you can't see what's on your left or right in time...hmmm. ^^
 
Not only that but his FOV has to suck. Yet getting high FPS is fun, but if you can't see what's on your left or right in time...hmmm. ^^

Ehh it doesn't bother me at all. I'll take a 4:3 CRT over a high-res LCD any day for the high refresh rate and contrast.
 
Hey if your into bf3 you missed out. Should have got the fx 8120 or 50 drop in. It is the one game that it accells in especially in multiplayer. Will beat your current setup.
 
Hey if your into bf3 you missed out. Should have got the fx 8120 or 50 drop in. It is the one game that it accells in especially in multiplayer. Will beat your current setup.

I thought the same Bent, but after reading issues with dropping in a 8120/50 on a Crosshair IV it doesn't seem feesable to alot of people to go get a newer motherboard on top of the processor. Dropping one in would be nice, but seems from reading if you are going to have to buy a new board, might as well go with the newer, better setup. (cough, intel, cough) I hate this and wish the bugs were worked out for my Crosshair IV because I don't want to do a system overhaul. My 1055t isn't holding its clocks well. Keeps dropping lower for stabliltiy concerns every few months.

I am in a bad spot and really don't want to move everything over to Intel. I would like to "drop" a new BD in. I hate this. :confused::(
 
I thought the same Bent, but after reading issues with dropping in a 8120/50 on a Crosshair IV it doesn't seem feesable to alot of people to go get a newer motherboard on top of the processor. Dropping one in would be nice, but seems from reading if you are going to have to buy a new board, might as well go with the newer, better setup. (cough, intel, cough) I hate this and wish the bugs were worked out for my Crosshair IV because I don't want to do a system overhaul. My 1055t isn't holding its clocks well. Keeps dropping lower for stabliltiy concerns every few months.

I am in a bad spot and really don't want to move everything over to Intel. I would like to "drop" a new BD in. I hate this. :confused::(

Have you checked into the new BIOS? I dropped an 8150 into my MSI 890FXA-GD70 and I'm 4.68ghz stable. The newer BIOS fixed any stability issues I had, including steam's DRM.
 
Last edited:
Have you checked into the new BIOS? I dropped an 8150 into my MSI 890FXA-GD70 and I'm 4.65ghz stable. The newer BIOS fixed any stability issues I had, including steam's DRM.

Right. Your board I saw over at XtremeOC had a really good working Bios with issues fixed. Last time I checked there was stability issues with the Crosshair IV versions still. (December)

Thanks. I will keep checking till my income taxes come in, in Febuary. I guess I will make a decision to stay or go by then.
 
Just a little update: I decided to ditch AMD because the Phenoms are outdated technology and BD is a complete fail. No point in spending any more money in a dead platform. I learned my lesson from my current Phenom build: buy cheap and you'll have to buy twice.

So anyways I went with a full system change to a 2600k, 8gb ram, and a 5970. BF3 runs buttery smooth now. I play at 1024*768 high/ultra settings and the game NEVER dips below 120 FPS. Yes this system may seem overkill for such low of are a resolution, but I prefer the high FPS to good graphics any day.

yikes, how do you play at that resolution, must look like crap.
As for dead platforms, AMD does everything they can to make upgrading cheaper than Intel, Intel changes their platform seemingly with every new CPU they bring out.
 
yikes, how do you play at that resolution, must look like crap.
As for dead platforms, AMD does everything they can to make upgrading cheaper than Intel, Intel changes their platform seemingly with every new CPU they bring out.

Bulldozer is far from being called an upgrade, and in some cases it went backwards.
 
Bulldozer is far from being called an upgrade, and in some cases it went backwards.

Not if your on an X4 with BF3 and one Graphics card.

8120 for 189.99 on Newegg is freaking interesting for me, at those 8120 free mobo specials from MC. 8 cores compared to my current 4 cores hmmm. I really enjoy BF3 too.

I would like to get a Vishera CPU if it's much better though and especially if there are boards with PCI 3.0 out by then, but that is uncertain or at least 6 months out in teh future?

All in all though I'd prob be best getting a 960T and unlocking it on my current board or finding a used/ good deal on an X6 left in stock at a MC, and saving the chedder for a PCI 3.0 board if that ever drops from AMD.

Or yeah I could get a Intel 6 core for 600+ 250-300+ mobo, and it would be an awesome rig...but a 110 dollar CPU upgrade sounds a bit better than a 910 dollar CPU upgrade :D
 
I currently have a x6 1100T and have an 8150 inbound. With my two 6950s and eyefinity I currently get around 50fps (@ medium settings) in operations firestorm and caspain border. We'll see if my FPS jump significantly with the 8150 versus my x6.
 
SweClockers got the below numbers with a 6990 doing a multiplayer session in Caspian Border with ultra details.



Medium details shows CPU strength more clearly.



Most games don't thread like BF3. In lightly threaded games the 2500k is going to pass BD by even more.

Of course the 2600k is even better yet in BF3 and you're probably going to pay more than 300usd for it.
 
Last edited:
SweClockers got the below numbers with a 6990 doing a multiplayer session in Caspian Border with ultra details.



Medium details shows CPU strength more clearly.



Most games don't thread like BF3. In lightly threaded games the 2500k is going to pass BD by even more.

Frostbite 2.0 engine can use up to 8 cores.

Whoever performed those benchies really needs to wake up.
CPUs should always be benched at lowest rez and details to eliminate video card as a factor.
 
My youngest brother is on a budget, and he was using an X2 555 unlocked to a 4 core and oc'ed to 4ghz, but it still hit an fps wall on 64 player with a highly overclocked gtx 470 at 1920, so I switched him out to a 1055t I got used and overclocked it and it remedied the problem.

OP, I know you already bought a new rig, but the x6s do pretty well in this.
 
I currently have a x6 1100T and have an 8150 inbound. With my two 6950s and eyefinity I currently get around 50fps (@ medium settings) in operations firestorm and caspain border. We'll see if my FPS jump significantly with the 8150 versus my x6.

My 8150 hasn't really changed my FPS. I think I'll need much more powerful video cards before my CPU becomes the bottleneck.
 
If the 8150 isn't overclocked, you aren't really getting the most out of it at all. Try stock volts, and raise it to 4.1-4.2 Ghz
 
Haven't overclocked it yet but that's what the H100 is for ;). Looking to get somewhere between 4.6-5 when I'm done. We'll see where it goes.
 
Haven't overclocked it yet but that's what the H100 is for ;). Looking to get somewhere between 4.6-5 when I'm done. We'll see where it goes.


Right on. I don't want to promise anything, but if you don't mid going to just 4 cores, you could turn off 1 core per module, and have a quad core with a seriously potent floating point unit, as well as less heat (I would guess 5Ghz would be pretty much guaranteed, from what I have read) and more cache per core. I think only more of the L3, but possibly L2 as well, depending on how they actually architected it. I am too lazy to look, and you'll only get what you get, anyway. On water, especially if the processor and heat sink surfaces are lapped (machine shop can do cheap, or you can at least do heatsink with polish and very fine sand paper.
 
Sure you can turn cores off, and do the one core per module if you want.

However The difference isn't all that much still. It will help you reach higher clock speeds if your cooling cannot handle all 8 cores running at higher speeds/voltage.

i went from my antec 920 to a 540 rad. and custom loop. I used to run at 4.6ghz everyday, I now run at 5ghz everyday. My pc is silent except for at full load when you hear my gpu fans kick up. I am upgrading to 7870's though and will be water blocking them. Cannot wait for silent computing :-D
 
When gaming on a Phenom 980 and Tri-Sli GTX 480's, I play on max, but my CPU usage is all at 95-100% on all cores.. Temps are ~57c on CPU and ~88c on GPU's.

When I use the repair tool in the helicopter it has a lot of flickering on the screen. I don't remember it being like that when I played it on Xbox. I have newest drivers... *shrug*

Do you guys use all your cores on the phenom X6?
 
Do you guys use all your cores on the phenom X6?

My X6 at 4Ghz runs around 70-85% usage depending on the map. It's split kinda evenly across all six cores, with two noticeably more loaded than the other(according to task manger's graph).
 
My X6 at 4Ghz runs around 70-85% usage depending on the map. It's split kinda evenly across all six cores, with two noticeably more loaded than the other(according to task manger's graph).

What are your temps? I'm kicking myself in the butt for not getting a hexacore. Who knew BF3 would max 4 cores out. :)
 
Frostbite 2.0 engine can use up to 8 cores.

Whoever performed those benchies really needs to wake up.
CPUs should always be benched at lowest rez and details to eliminate video card as a factor.

While the point is understandable, shouldn't a 6990 be extreme overkill at 1080p? I would think it should provide more than enough performance headroom to handle the settings they tested and still provide a feasible CPU comparison, maybe even a better comparison because of the fact that playing at low detail on a 6990 in a rig with either a top-end BD or SB chip just isn't that likely to happen?
 
I got up to 4.5 last night with little effort. With my 1100T at stock specs I played at 90% usage on all six cores. My 8150 at stock with the scheduler patches installed hovers around 60% usage on all 8 cores. My two 6950s are stock and run at 90% usage. DIEING to get some 7870s but need AMD to drop the prices first cause the of the 680. If they don't I'll be picking up two 670 or 670 TIs when then come out. Then I'm sure I'll be using more CPU to feed those two bad boys.
 
Back
Top