Phenom II x3's Now at the Egg

so? you are applying intel voltage norms to Phenom overclocking. Phenom chips should be able to take little more voltage than the Core 2 and i7 CPUs.

man, i was planning on going for mad x4 940 rig with 8 gb of ram and such, but seeing this... a 720 with 4gb of ram and cheap 790x board is gonna rock the house too! i simply love that amd has cheap BEs in their line-up, saves me the trouble of hunting for a mobo which will do high-fsb :)

not that im planning on going to 4 ghz or anything, but a 3.5 ghz tri-core sounds mighty delicious

the only thing im not sold on is the tri-core thing, it just feels weird you know? somehow i prefer my cpus in clean powers of 2...

None of those are inherent to a 790fx board. The ddr 3 support is determined by socket, the manufacturer decides the amount of pcie slots and the amount of sata ports is up to the southbridge and any extra controller chips.
The 790GX doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes available to do 16x16x whatever the manufacturer wants. 22 are available for peripherals. That said, PCI-E 2.0 at 8x will not limit the 4870 he has listed in any way worth worrying about.

None of those are inherent to a 790fx board. The ddr 3 support is determined by socket, the manufacturer decides the amount of pcie slots and the amount of sata ports is up to the southbridge and any extra controller chips.

There are only three mb's that have native socket 3 support on the market. So if you want DDR 3 support your choices are somewhat limited. The ASUS board wasn't even in the picture due to the three SATA ports 90* to the mb being an issue with some video cards. The 790FX chipset was the only answer to my particular circumstances. It also has no resources tied to an on mb video card that I don't need.

Just bought a 940 off a board member here which will be replacing a phenom 9500 and will be paired with a asus m3a32-mvp. I will see how far I can take it with my board but I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

Just bought a 940 off a board member here which will be replacing a phenom 9500 and will be paired with a asus m3a32-mvp. I will see how far I can take it with my board but I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

Did you even read the topic of this thread, it's about the new X3?

so the am2 and am3 socket are the same size essentially? just different cpu types that fit in the same motherboard?

AM2 CPUs won't fit in an AM3 mobo but AM3 CPUs will fit in an AM2 mobo. The AM3 socket has 2 less pins than the AM2 socket.

the x3 looks so impressive. When they start selling for 119(?) and 145 (or maybe if there is a price drop on the x4's after next amd or intel release...), i'm gonna replace my 4850e so i can watch 1080p movies and have another cpu intensive process or two running.

Back