Phenom II 940 Stock Cooler

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone using the stock cooler? Do you consider it to be loud? How is the quality? Also what is your max overclock? Thanks. Oh, and any pics of the cooler installed would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out if I need a TRUE or something else, I prefer not spending another $70 for a cooler, especially since my case is going to be cramped.

Its the same cooler that comes on most all thier other cpu's. Its identical to the one that came with my fx-57 (939).I dont think its real loud and cools pretty good. I wouldn't try to overclock with it.

I wouldn't say that, some people say its a decent cooler if your doing 0.20ish overclocks, it might be capable of more with the right cooling.

It's a pretty nice looking cooler, though it just looks too small (very low profile imho).

I have one running with 940 CPU. It does the job. Quiet and Ok, but temps are not perfect with Prime 64 (all cores).

37c-55c (maxed out).

8g Ram
No VC
780G MB
Antec Sonata III with 500w Earthwatts PS

DM

I have the 920 and it is fairly quiet, keeps it around 30-33c little higher if I'm gaming.

Stock cooler is the same one that came with my Opty 165 a few years back. You'd think they would have provided something a little beefier with these new chips.

not the best picture, but here it is installed. nothing that special, but it does the job.

DSCN2349.jpg

Looks about the same as what came with my socket 939 4800 X2 back in the day, I remember being impressed back then with them shipping stock coolers with copper heat pipes.

Since the DB crash i did buy a Thermalright HR-01+ with Nexus fan. Not sure on temps yet since my mobo seems to be overvolting my CPU.

I have the 920 and it is fairly quiet, keeps it around 30-33c little higher if I'm gaming.

I just got the X4 920 and isntalled it with the included heatsink/fan and is yours running at 550 rpms and kind of loud? If so how I have the same setup. Did you use artic silver 5 compound or did you leave the stock one? Thanks

lathlode, your sig states a Asus M4A79 Deluxe but your photos show the Asus M3A78-T mobo like I have. Seems the M3A78=T runs a bit hot, up to 61C or so when I stressed the system with Orthos, and it normally shows 52C in HW Monitor as TMPIN0, but that may be the CPU case cover as the Northbridge is quite cool to the touch. That new x3 720 looks great from all the reviews done on it so far, but I have the x2 7750 and will keep that for awhile. Enjoy that x4 920 of yours!!!

lathlode, your sig states a Asus M4A79 Deluxe but your photos show the Asus M3A78-T mobo like I have. Seems the M3A78=T runs a bit hot, up to 61C or so when I stressed the system with Orthos, and it normally shows 52C in HW Monitor as TMPIN0, but that may be the CPU case cover as the Northbridge is quite cool to the touch. That new x3 720 looks great from all the reviews done on it so far, but I have the x2 7750 and will keep that for awhile. Enjoy that x4 920 of yours!!!

That's not my photo.

CPU: 33c MB: 28c

For some reason my mobo is overvolting the proc, showing at 1.37-1.39v instead of 1.325v. So temps may come down a little bit if voltage was correct.

That's not my photo.

CPU: 33c MB: 28c

For some reason my mobo is overvolting the proc, showing at 1.37-1.39v instead of 1.325v. So temps may come down a little bit if voltage was correct.

Oh, yeah, you're right!! Sorry about that. I am half blind etc. more or less it seems. :rolleyes:

My M3A78-T did the same thing when I Ocd to 3.2GHz with the 7750, and it had about 1.4Vcore or so, maybe about 1.425v, so I backed off to 3.185GHz or so and now have 1.325v. Weirder yet, when rebooting a lot after fiddling and OCing with the BIOS, all of a sudden it showed the 2.7GHz 7750 at 2.8375GHz or so as the stock speed!!! So, I entered the defualt settings and all was OK. That was wierd though. I have just left most of my HT and NB settings on Auto when OCing, although I did some manual adjustments until I messed everything up a bit.

Anyway, the stock AMD HSF for the 9850-9950 BEs etc. is OK for mild OCing, and that is a big plus.

I upgrade my computer to a 940. I used my old cooler for the 940 and used the stock 940 heatsink for my old 5000+ BE. It worked really good but it is a cooler CPU. The 940 OC to 3.3ghz and running Prime95 for 4 - 6 hrs and the highest temp is i reached was 45*c normal browsing temp is about 33*c ish

I just got the X4 920 and isntalled it with the included heatsink/fan and is yours running at 550 rpms and kind of loud? If so how I have the same setup. Did you use artic silver 5 compound or did you leave the stock one? Thanks

Mine is running at 3080 rpms, not very loud at all. I used Ceramique, currently mine is running at 3.0ghz with temps at 30-33c idle and 45c during heavy gaming. My case might have a little to do with the temps, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124121 that's the case I have and I love the air flow with it. Hope that helps :)

@CousinVin

How do you like that board? Slowly replacing pieces a month at a time here and was looking at that board for next months purchase. Be interested in hearing your thoughts on it and anyone else that has it also. Thanks

I think the 940 stock cooler is pretty good considering that under load and idle, it comes very close to a tower cooler. Right now my CPU is idling at 34C, 2000 RPM. At night it'll run down to 29C or so and 1500-1800RPM (dead silent, can actually get some sleep :)). The fan does have a distinct high pitch sound when it really ramps up. I put it to 100% one time in SmartGuardian just to see what would happen and at 3500RPM, it's a little unpleasant. But the heapipe configuration is very similar to any decent non-tower cooler. So if anything just change out the fan.

Meh, it's the same cooler AMD has been using for over 3 years now. They must have a rediculous stockpile of them laying around to ship them with current gen processors.

There is nothing wrong with the stock cooler, it does its job rather well when the CPU is at stock speed. Imo it is quieter than the stock Q6600 cooler. AMD can save some money because they don't need to design a new cooler.

@CousinVin

How do you like that board? Slowly replacing pieces a month at a time here and was looking at that board for next months purchase. Be interested in hearing your thoughts on it and anyone else that has it also. Thanks

I don't really know xD. I haven't installed an OS yet. and its my first build.

actually, when I opened my 9950be, I got a different stock cooler. I compared it to the heatsink from my brother's opti 185 and I noticed sometihing: the base isn't fully copper on my 9950be heatsink, meaning that I don't have a full copper base from edge to edge of the bottom of the cpu base. I don't understand myh I would geta worse heatsink than a opti 185 even though they are both stock AVC's.

Back