Phenom II 940 Failing Overdrive Stability... but stable?

Skystalker

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded my Phenom 9850 to a Phenom II 940 this weekend.

I have had some "interesting" results. It very much might make me not go "bleeding edge AMD" in the future.

In summary:

I put the new chip into my (claimed compatible ASUS M3A78 Pro motherboard, and although it detected and ran fine, there were issues with AMD's Overdrive utility. And, Prime 95. Neither utility would run for more than a few seconds. Strangely enough, my temps were very reasonable (late 30's, early 40's) and the machine was oetherwise rock solid stable running gaming benchmarks.

I figured that it was an anaomaly, and I was planning on getting a new mobo anyways, so I got a new DFI Lanparty Jr 790gx M2RS motherboard... claimed to be one heck of an overclocker -- great with my new chip. Same issues. Although the chip is very stable doing anything that I have thrown at it, it does not run any of the stability tests (including one written by AMD) for more than 30 seconds.

Is this a bad chip? Should I return it? I have that option. I can always put my 9850 back in... although I was going to pass that on to my best bro.

Thanks for the help, guys.

-Sky

Hmm ill give ya my 9950 for the 940 you dont like.:D

Do not use or attemp to use ACC with PHII this means 920/940/excetra...

Why you ask?
its already built into the Phenom II and not needed. ACC was mearly for B2/B3.

So if you have ACC and you did not DISABLE IT this will cause that very problem once under load.

It is recomended to Run the Most Recent Bioses.
Some manufactures have the Auto Disable feature for ACC Now when using PhenomII. Most manufactures you need to disable ACC manually.

Now as for AOD ,,
it is know to not funtion with full volt sliders on several 770/790gx. It should even be Removed then Reinstalled after Changing a CPU. The reason AOD resets the Reg for your Voltages and Clocks . If you dont Remove and Reinstall befoer or After a New CPU Install you most likely will have AOD problems. random shut downs or lock ups when AOD opens or benches.

By all Means AOD WORKS with B2/B3 and C2PHENOM II ,,
Prime 95 works with PHENOMII....

Could have a 940 (stockCooler)thats not keeping cool enuff under load during Prime. 30-40c idle is kinda Hot in my book even for X4cores(stockcooler). Hm maybe see what you can do to keep it cool and try Prime Again if it fails send it back..

You may even have your Ram timing set wrong .
This will usually give bluescreen error(memory dump as the IMC heats under load from Prime the first few minutes . will freeze reboot .

In any case AOD and Prime bring out your problem and fast and on two differnt mobo's. Suspect ,, cooling. Ram . and Bios settings along with Install and removal of AOD before Chip swap.

If nothing works t remidy the 940 then RMA...Because they work flawless with AOD and Prime when set up correctly.

I give Props to PHII ,,
Ive Raised my 9950 a little higher with a New Bios optimzed for PHII..

Before 3.5ghz was max @ 2600HT,, 2600nb.

140watt 9950 Idles @ 30c with 1.74v to CPU and NB@ 2740mhz

AOD0701M3A79Tbios.jpg

2740nbB3_3562mhz.jpg

Did you do a clean install when you swapped motherboards? Could be cpu driver related in Windows maybe, I don't know.

Back