Phenom 2 upgrade to pentium g3258

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
I have a phenom 2, dual core with the msi 785g mobo . 4gb ram, 60gb sad and 2x hdd in raid. I'm thinking of upgrading to the new pentium g3258.its a great deal now at microcenter with mobo only 80. Will I notice a decent difference with this upgrade? I'm mostly doing light gaming and the normal usage. I'd like to play a little bit newer games now and then, but nothing too crazy. Just 1080p res. I tried to overcome the phenom before but ended up blowing my mobo and I don't want that to happen again. I will over clock the pentium though.

The G3258 is an excellent chip but it's still only dual core no HT. So for modern games that are starting to use multiple cores you may want to consider something with more. As far as performance compared to a dual PII it's night and day.

The G3258 is an excellent chip but it's still only dual core no HT. So for modern games that are starting to use multiple cores you may want to consider something with more. As far as performance compared to a dual PII it's night and day.

I agree here as to any 2 core really has no place in a desktop nor would I ever recommend one. However if Price is the issue and you aren't too concerned with future proof then the g3258 will be fun to play with and be considerably faster than the old phenom.

LGA1150 is a nice socket with some life in it. When you get some more $$$ you should be able to throw a faster quad in there. I'd definitely pull the trigger. The 3258 will be fun to overclock too :)

Since your Phenom II is only a dual core: Yes, that pentium will blow it away. The pentium has a much stronger performance, per thread and you will likely be able to overclock the hell out of it.

For games RIGHT NOW, you will be fine in just about everything. The only games which really could make it struggle would be intense online multiplayer such as BF4 or a modern MMO. As those benefit greatly from 4 or more cores. BF4 in particular, really starts to shine at 6 cores or more.

However, since the consoles are all multi-core and DX12 is around the corner with multi-threading improvements: future games may not be so kind to dual cores. But I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably get a couple of fine years from that Pentium.

That G3258 will blow away even a quad phenom 2. It will be night and day in performance.

However, since the consoles are all multi-core and DX12 is around the corner with multi-threading improvements: future games may not be so kind to dual cores. But I wouldn't worry about it. You'll probably get a couple of fine years from that Pentium.

It's the contrary; API's like D3D12 and Mantle decrease the CPU requirement. 4 cores is the sweet spot with >4 not really having an appreciable boost. Two cores have been shown to be decent for these sorts of API's but the most optimal thread count is 3 or 4.

Back