Phase Cooling

lw3d

Gawd
I am starting to think about other cooling solutions out there so I was wondering about phase cooling ... isnt this some kind of refridgeration system

It seems easier to me to stick your cpu in some kind of refridgeration system than to setup a water cooling system throughout the case

Any information would be great

Phase change cooling is like refridgeration for your processor. It can easily take your processor to - temperatures (like -30c). I've never done it myself because of a couple different reasons.

First, it's LOUD. Much louder than watercooling and probably even louder than stock cooling.

It draws ALOT of electricity. Expect to pay about the same price in electricity bills that you paid for the unit, in a year.

It takes a bit to start up. Getting phase change cooling down to the needed temperature takes about 3 minutes, you can't start your computer right away. Not really a big deal, but just imagine how annoying restarts are already, and add about another minute to that.

And... after all that, it only cools your processor... You're on your own for GPU, NB and other components. Course, it'll easily take most AMD processors to over 3.0ghz!

Oh and PS, it adds about a foot to the bottom of your case... and you need insulation to prevent condensation in your case, and it's just generally a big hassle. IMO

**EDIT* yeeuh! limp Gawd!

Arcygenical said:
It takes a bit to start up. Getting phase change cooling down to the needed temperature takes about 3 minutes, you can't start your computer right away. Not really a big deal, but just imagine how annoying restarts are already, and add about another minute to that.
Sorta

It only takes a minute or two to start up if it hasn't been running. If you are already up and running, a restart occurrs just as fast as any other PC because the Vapochill does not need to re-chill itself. It's already there.

Back