Phase Change the Easy Way...

boshuter

Limp Gawd
I picked up this Neslab immersion cooler a while back with the intention of converting it to direct die; I finally got around to doing it and after a couple of rebuilds with different evaps, gasses, etc., it's finally done. This is a nice simple system that does an excellent job and is much easier than a complete build from scratch, mainly because you have a case with the compressor and condensor allready mounted. Cases are hard to make unless you go with wood or something similar and that is heavy and not all that professional looking.

Anyway, this thing has a 1/4hp compressor, 8"X8" dual row condensor, 9' .031 cap tube, and a cap in cap evap I made using a Maze4 gpu block for the base.

This is the unit as I got it... it had a long rubber hose for suction liine with no insulation and a 6" long evap meant to be immersed in what ever liquid was being cooled.

neslab2tb.jpg

I removed everything but the compressor and condensor and rerouted all the tubing. I used a fexible stainless steel suction line that exits out the opposite side of the original, This pic is the first incarnation and was using a Chilly1 evap and gassed with propane. The propane reached -50c under vacuum but was not very good at holding temps, especially with my 950es Presler ;)

frost11uf.jpg

Recently I got some r507 and ended up redoing the whole system with new tubing, new filter dryer, and went to a cap in cap evap that I wanted to test. I flushed the old mineral oil out of the compressor and refilled it with POE for the r507. Temps are better and it reached -53c under vaccum, tuned with load it gets -48c evap and idles in windows at -38c with the 950 @ 1.44v and 4.8ghz, under load with both cores loaded 100% it will hold -27 - -28c. This is very good for a 1/4hp system IMO :D

534cbr1.jpg

firstsystem1eb7.jpg

Here is the finished unit, nothing fancy, but it does the job...

caseon1xv3.jpg

I haven't done a lot of playing with this unit since I redid it with the r507, but here is one result that I'm very pleased with :D

5.6ghz 950 Presller

Thats a WR in the XS WR Database, not bad for single stage cooling, almost everything else in there is on LN2 or Dice :)

fenton06 said:
how much did all this run you?

Thats hard to say considering all the changes I made to the system along the way. In it's present configuration I would say you could do it for $100 - $150 after the initial price you pay for the original cooler. The is dependant on buying or making your own evap, whether you want to count oxy/acetelyne, brazing rods, etc... Like anything else, the more you make yourself the less it will cost, and having the tools on hand to do the work.

looks very good am interested in doing this for my conroe if you have any insite and so forth please reply if you dont mind thanks

Now that's a resurrection for you! ...and we make jokes about Jesus' three days...

cut the cap tube back a foot or so and you will gain like 5deg at least. 507 only has to be 7ft to hold a good load.
Looks great either way. :cool:

I'm guessing that he's laughing about the guy who dared boshuter to lick the cold plate....

Arcygenical said:
Lick the coldplate. I dare you.

Now now before you dare someone to do something that stupid(we'll consider you want him to do it when it is on) you need to remember one thing. When making a dare like this you need to make sure someone is there with a camera. :D

To the OP, Nice job. Very clean

Back