phantom key blocking hack?

BIOS9

n00b
Phantom key blocking basically means that the keyboard cannot handle 3 or more depressed keys at once. Here's from Wikipedia:

"Keyboards are less than ideal when many keys are to be pressed at once, as the simple keyboard circuitry means that only a certain number of keys will register at one time. A common side effect of this is called "phantom key blocking." Due to the circuit design on older keyboards, pressing three keys simultaneously sometimes resulted in a 4th keypress being registered. Modern keyboards prevent this from happening by blocking the 3rd key in certain key combinations, but while this prevents phantom input, it also means that when two keys are depressed simultaneously, many of the other keys on the keyboard will not respond until one of the two depressed keys is lifted. Better keyboards are designed so that this happens infrequently in office programs, but it remains a problem in games even on expensive keyboards, due to wildly different and/or configurable key/command layouts in different games."

Does anyone know of a work around/hack for this? Aside from getting another keyboard that is... and If that really is the only way, can anyone recommend one that doesn't cost so much? All the keyboards I can find right now that are able to handle it are pretty costly.

Thanks.

The $12 GE branded one i picked up at Office Max 2 years ago doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I know this keyboard was/is sold as a Belkin and Memorex as well.

Back