Phantom Dust Re-Release Hits Xbox One, PC Today for Free

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This needs to happen way more often. Even if you have never heard of Phantom Dust, this may be of interest to you since the game costs a grand total of nothing. The title was originally released in 2004 for the Xbox to increase Japan’s interest in Microsoft’s console. Designed and produced by the director of Panzer Dragoon, the game combines elements of third-person shooters with collectible card games.

Adam Isgreen, the game’s creative director, said the game would be updated to add a 16:9 aspect ratio, and support for 1080p or 4K resolution depending on the user’s display. “We haven’t changed anything about the way that the original game worked,” Isgreen said. “So if people want to grind and they want to play exactly like they did when the original game came out, that is all in place. Everything about how the game works and functions is there. We really wanted to allow people to jump into multiplayer and play immediately.”

Free games are always good, as long as they aren't riddled with micro-transactions......i hope this isn't riddled with micro-transactions......

Free games are always good, as long as they aren't riddled with micro-transactions......i hope this isn't riddled with micro-transactions......

It does have some. The devs claim they didn't change anything about how the game originally was on release, but we'll see once people get their hands on it.

Couldn't find Phantom Dust on Xbox Live. Haven't checked the Windows store yet. According to Polygon, it was supposedly available the 16th. Not yet from what I can tell.

download link?

It hasn't gone live yet, but Microsoft has confirmed that today is the day. It is probably just taking a while to go from zero to full download on their storefronts.

It's a trap!

They just want to suck you into the windows 10 store!

Run, scurry, flee, flee!

The amount of hate the Windows store gets is ridiculous.

I remember Origin faced similar opposition for years because *OMG* It's not Steam.

I remember this game. Never played it but all the anime basement dwellers were all over it.

I'll grab it on Xbox One, maybe even give it a shot.

I remember Origin faced similar opposition for years because *OMG* It's not Steam.

I remember this game. Never played it but all the anime basement dwellers were all over it.

Not really. The windows store is in awful shape.

Not really. The windows store is in awful shape.
Just Like Origin used to be....and steam....
I remember the endless hate my friends and I had toward Steam when it first came out.
The Windows store could use a serious facelift, but that being said, at least its UI isn't as bad as Amazon's.

Sorry but Microsoft deserves every bit of hate it gets over the store and more, you can't even download past games you purchased off the abandoned gfwl platform, good chance they will abandon this one too.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Another fun tip for all of you. To get the game in to Full Screen hit "ALT-Enter".

Sorry, but unless you've had your head buried in the sand for the last 17 years and have paid zero attention to Microsoft's hostility toward PC gamers, the "hate" the windows store gets goes beyond mere "OMG its not Steam".

The difference between the Windows store and everything else is its trying to be a store for all the wrong reasons. EA didn't own the underlying operating system when they launched Origin, so there was no worry that their endgame was locking out competing stores if it was successful enough. The gripes were convenience related - people like all their games in one place. With the windows store, MS has already telegraphed their intentions, we've seen a preview of their endgame.

There is zero value add created by the Windows store for PC gamers. It needlessly obfuscates game files in a UWP DRM wrapper - locking out modding and third party helper utilities, it shuts out Windows 7 and 8.1 because it only works on 10, and when Microsoft abandons it again like they did GFWL and the Windows 8 / 8.1 store, you're SOL. That's to say nothing of the six years its been going and its still packed to the rafters with third worlder scam apps.

Last edited:
Back