Phanteks Enthoo Primo Rad mounting options

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by Polaris999, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Polaris999

Polaris999 n00bie

I'm currently running a 360 external rad in an Antec case with an EKWB CPU WB. I have no reservoir, as the rad has a top fillport. The system always sounds like it has air bubbles, but I suspect it's the WB making the noise. The CPU (i6700k) runs a bit warm when doing video encoding.

So I'm moving to a Coolstream 420 with Vardar fans, an Enthoo Primo case and a Photon 270 reservoir. My preference is to mount the rad in the bottom of the Phantek case below the reservoir. The one concern I have is the four legged creature that lives near my case. I know that the Phantek has slide out air filters on the bottom of the case, I'm just not sure how effective these are? I know it's not supposed to matter if the rad is the low point in the loop, but I'd prefer to avoid the case flipping I remember from the past. I'd also like to avoid adding a fillport above the rad, if I mount the rad in the top of the case. Any thoughts?

I'll likely be moving to an i8700K or a Ryzen 1800x in the future, so the WC change is phase one of the upgrade.

2. guitarslingerchris

guitarslingerchris Failure is just success rounded down

I wouldn't purposefully choose to put a 420 in the bottom of an Enthoo Primo as it is already kind of annoying to get a 360 in and out of that location (my Feser 360 wouldn't come in or out with the rubber grommet in place I had to remove it each time) but if you put a 360 in the bottom and the 420 in the top you shouldn't have much problem. Really it depends on your pump and your setup as to how big of a problem bleeding the system will be. I had zero problem with a 420 and 360 in that same case with a single D5 pump. My guess is your current setup doesn't have a great way to stop air bubbles from reentering the system once the air reaches the reservoir or you have a pocket that isn't working itself out and you need more flow or to flip the case around like you said.

3. Polaris999

Polaris999 n00bie

Thanks I was thinking last night that I might as well use the 360 rad too, since I have it anyway. Although I was thinking 420 bottom and 360 top, but your advice makes sense.

Any advice on the orientation of the rads? I assume it would be easier to mount the top rad with the fittings toward the back? Not sure if I can mount the bottom rad with the fittings inside the drive bays; closer to the Photon 270 this way. I haven't opened the case yet, so I'm sure it will be more obvious once I start playing.

The pump is a D5 BTW. :)

4. guitarslingerchris

guitarslingerchris Failure is just success rounded down

I had my 360 with the fittings where the drive bays live and in that particular build I wasn't running anything but SSDs so I removed the lower cages and I used that space as overflow for wiring and tubing. The 420 rad in the top I did have the fittings towards the rear and had no problems.

Here's a pic when it was still all together.
    [​IMG]

5. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

I ran an Enthoo Primo with dual 480s in top and bottom and dual psu. It was one of the easiest installs in a while so from my experience you can stick the 360 in the bottom. As for the filter, don't worry as you should be pushing air out. Your intake is the from front which you have to pull off the front cover to access. The stock filters aren't the best so grab some nylon hosiery.

6. TTIEFoxDK

TTIEFoxDK n00bie

Hi, I buit my enthoo primo with 3 x 420 rads, had to heavily mod it in order to fit, but the case is very mod friendly. More info here

You have to remove the drive side in order to fit a 420 in the bottom