• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Phantek ethoo evolve tempered glass

Medal

n00b
Joined
Sep 18, 2016
Messages
33
Hey everyone...quick question about this case. I'm most likely going with the new nzxt x62 aio cooler when it comes out in the next week or two, and like the corsair h115i, it's a 280mm. My question is regarding fans. I want to place the aio at the front of the case in a push/pull layout, and a 140mm at the rear of the case...all these fans will be the corsair ML140s btw....my question is with these 5 fans, will I have enough positive air pressure in this case to keep dust out and internal temps down (in the case)? ....or should I consider adding one or more additional fans at the top of the case? I've seen pics that seem to show 140mm fans, at the top of this specific case, being "in the way" or otherwise sticking down and I hate that look...so if the answer is I should add a couple more up there, then should I add 120mm fan(s) up there instead?

TLDR:

I want positive pressure but don't know if the currently planned 5-140mm fans (4 on front mounted aio, 1 at rear of case) is enough cooling for positive pressure and internal-case temps.

Thanks in advance.
 
That's more than enough. You will have four fans as intakes, one as exhaust. It may be a good idea to add one or two more at the top and run them at low speeds, but the performance/temperature improvement will be very small (if any). Usually, 2-3 fans in total (2 intakes, one exhaust) make the biggest jump in performance, after that - it barely matters.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Medal
like this
Only filters will keep dust out, and even they have their limits.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Medal
like this
Well, having only filtered intake air helps reduce dust - that's the whole point of having slightly positive pressure. It makes sure, that only filtered air enters the pc and that really helps reduce dust buildup on fans/rads/interior.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Medal
like this
That's more than enough. You will have four fans as intakes, one as exhaust. It may be a good idea to add one or two more at the top and run them at low speeds, but the performance/temperature improvement will be very small (if any). Usually, 2-3 fans in total (2 intakes, one exhaust) make the biggest jump in performance, after that - it barely matters.

Ok thanks! My issue with putting fans at the top of this case, is all pics I've seen with fans located there, show the fans sitting "low." My concern was the intake air coming thru the AIO. Meaning I wasn't sure if those fans would create enough cooling and positive pressure than they otherwise would if they AIO wasn't there.


Well, having only filtered intake air helps reduce dust - that's the whole point of having slightly positive pressure. It makes sure, that only filtered air enters the pc and that really helps reduce dust buildup on fans/rads/interior.

Yep, my thoughts exactly and why I hoped that 4-fans in push/pull at the front of the case, along with 1 at the back of the case would not only cool, but create the positive pressure I'm looking for.

...So it looks like I'm good to go right? Any one else have any other input? If I saw a pic with 140mm (1 or 2) fans at the top of this case (phantek ethoo evolv tempered glass), NOT protruding down so much, I would definitely consider adding maybe 1 or 2 more 140mm fans there....but even then I'm still concerned about pressure as I really want to maintain positive.

EDIT: I should mention i went with the h115i because the x62 isn't in stock anywhere, and even NZXT's site says pre-orders won'y ship until January sometime and I can't wait that long.
 
Last edited:
Ok thanks! My issue with putting fans at the top of this case, is all pics I've seen with fans located there, show the fans sitting "low." My concern was the intake air coming thru the AIO. Meaning I wasn't sure if those fans would create enough cooling and positive pressure than they otherwise would if they AIO wasn't there.




Yep, my thoughts exactly and why I hoped that 4-fans in push/pull at the front of the case, along with 1 at the back of the case would not only cool, but create the positive pressure I'm looking for.

...So it looks like I'm good to go right? Any one else have any other input? If I saw a pic with 140mm (1 or 2) fans at the top of this case (phantek ethoo evolv tempered glass), NOT protruding down so much, I would definitely consider adding maybe 1 or 2 more 140mm fans there....but even then I'm still concerned about pressure as I really want to maintain positive.

EDIT: I should mention i went with the h115i because the x62 isn't in stock anywhere, and even NZXT's site says pre-orders won'y ship until January sometime and I can't wait that long.
Your four push/pull fans going through a radiator, hopefully, will be equal to two intake fans without any obstruction.
So, one exhaust fan in the back should be enough. You could, as mentioned before, run two exhaust fans on the top as well, but then you would have to make sure they run as slow as needed - you can use incense or some other smoke-emitter to check around any cracks or vents your case has to see if the air is moving in or out of the case through them.
 
You will have 2x front intakes and 1x exhaust. The push/pull on front does not give your 4x intake of airflow because while stacking fans does increase airflow slighting, it is because it increases the fans ability to overcome resistance (static pressure rating) not it's free airflow rating.

ML 140 is rated
Airflow 20 - 97 CFM
Static Pressure 0.2 - 3.0 mmH20​
Airflow rating is unrestricted airflow .. hanging from strings in middle of a room kind of airflow. Not at all like we use our fans
Static Pressure is the level water is pushed up a tube when the fan stops moving air. Again, not at all like we use our fans.

Stacking fans makes little or no difference unless there is a flow straightner between them (or one spins opposite direction) because the air coming out of first fans is spinning like a drill-bit into 2nd fan .. which if spinning same direction as first the air just flows on through with little change. Your cooler radiator acts as an airflow starightener.

But the reality is you will gain little in overall airflow with push / pull because the fans have high pressure rating. That said, the slower the fans spin, the more noticeable the difference will be. Lower speed means lower pressure rating, and case venting, filter and radiator resistance restrict flow more at lower pressure rating.

I hope that all makes sense. My Enthoo Evolv ATX is air cooled, and I spaced the front panel out 15mm to improve airflow. It did help, but not enough to make the modification worth the effort.
 
All,

Thanks very much for your input; I couldn't be more thankful. With that said I ordered my new pc and it should all be here sometime by the end of the week. Here is what I ordered:

Phantek ethoo evolve tempered glass (satin black)
Corsair ax1500i (was going with ax1200i, but Newegg sold out of it, so I just went with the ax1500i instead)
Asus Rampage V Edition 10
G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (8x8gb) DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34)
Intel 6850k
Corsair H115i
Asus GTX 1080 Strix OC edition (x2 for sli...my first go at SLI)
Asus 3-way HB SLI bridge (so I can use it in 2-way sli "L" configuration)
Samsung 950 pro 512gb (Couldn't wait any longer for the 960)(this will be my boot drive)
Samsung 850 pro 1tb (this will be my gaming drive)
Corsair gaming k70 lux rgb keyboard (cherry mx brown switches)
Razor Deathadder chroma wired mouse
Corsair ML 140 fans (x5)(1 exhaust at rear, 4 push/pull on H115i at front of case)
Windows 10 home 64-bit USB flash drive

Now...I'm coming from this...which I build in 2007:

GTX 660ti (upgraded from the GTX 275 back in 2012)
Windows 7
WD Velociraptor 300gb (everything on this one drive)
CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case
CoolerMaster 700w power supply
G.Skill 6gb (3x2gb) DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24)
CoolerMaster v8 cpu cooler (air/fan cooled)
intel 920 cpu

Obviously I'm going to see a bit of a performance increase. My question is, is there anything I need/should know going into this build? I haven't built a new rig since my current one back in 2007. I watched videos until my eyes bled regarding AIO coolers etc, and started to do the same for "how to" overclock my 6850 on the rampage v edition 10....but just wondering if there is anything, anyone, would specifically recommend that I either should be aware of, or should otherwise know going into this build? I will post pics of my current rig and throughout the build of my new one once I get the parts in. This forum got me through my first build 10 years ago, and I hope and know you can again through this one.

Thanks in advance!
 
All,

Thanks very much for your input; I couldn't be more thankful. With that said I ordered my new pc and it should all be here sometime by the end of the week. Here is what I ordered:

Phantek ethoo evolve tempered glass (satin black)
Corsair ax1500i (was going with ax1200i, but Newegg sold out of it, so I just went with the ax1500i instead)
Asus Rampage V Edition 10
G.Skill Trident Z 64GB (8x8gb) DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34)
Intel 6850k
Corsair H115i
Asus GTX 1080 Strix OC edition (x2 for sli...my first go at SLI)
Asus 3-way HB SLI bridge (so I can use it in 2-way sli "L" configuration)
Samsung 950 pro 512gb (Couldn't wait any longer for the 960)(this will be my boot drive)
Samsung 850 pro 1tb (this will be my gaming drive)
Corsair gaming k70 lux rgb keyboard (cherry mx brown switches)
Razor Deathadder chroma wired mouse
Corsair ML 140 fans (x5)(1 exhaust at rear, 4 push/pull on H115i at front of case)
Windows 10 home 64-bit USB flash drive

Now...I'm coming from this...which I build in 2007:

GTX 660ti (upgraded from the GTX 275 back in 2012)
Windows 7
WD Velociraptor 300gb (everything on this one drive)
CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case
CoolerMaster 700w power supply
G.Skill 6gb (3x2gb) DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24)
CoolerMaster v8 cpu cooler (air/fan cooled)
intel 920 cpu

Obviously I'm going to see a bit of a performance increase. My question is, is there anything I need/should know going into this build? I haven't built a new rig since my current one back in 2007. I watched videos until my eyes bled regarding AIO coolers etc, and started to do the same for "how to" overclock my 6850 on the rampage v edition 10....but just wondering if there is anything, anyone, would specifically recommend that I either should be aware of, or should otherwise know going into this build? I will post pics of my current rig and throughout the build of my new one once I get the parts in. This forum got me through my first build 10 years ago, and I hope and know you can again through this one.

Thanks in advance!


I'll post this under hardware since I changed gears, thanks for the help all.
 
Back
Top